Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
OP Offline
R
I'm really having difficulty finding firm regulations from Belize Government websites regarding fishing/collecting and transporting marine life out of Ambergris Caye and Belize.

During our 8 night stay on A.C., I was planning of doing some simple shore fishing from the resort pier, and maybe keeping some of the smaller fish for transport back to my 135 gallon reef tank aquarium at home in the USA.

While down in A.C., I am also interested in doing some of my own collection of livestock to bring back with me. I'm only talking snails and hermit crabs, maybe some live marine plants. So PLEASE, don't think I'm out to rape and pillage the precious reefs of rare animals we all enjoy.

While I fully understand restrictions for collection within marine preserves such as Hol Chan and other protected areas, what about collection outside of these marine parks?

I will get full permits for any fish or critters I would be bringing back through customs, but I need to know where to start to inquire for a Belize Collection/transportation/export license if one is required for me to hand carry stuff out of the country.

I'm really trying to find the exact legal fishing/collection regulations, for sand, marine rocks, plants, snails, hermit crabs, or if there are any legal corals.

I'm well aware of the various hoops you have to jump through for permits for personal use collection (this isn't for commercial or business purposes), as I've brought legal marine life back from Florida Keys and Hawaii.

The closest link I've been able to find on the Internet is the Belize Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries. But they don't list actual fishing regulations.

http://www.Belize.gov.bz/cabinet/d_silva/welcome.shtml

The responsibility for managing marine protected areas lies largely with the Ministry of
Agriculture and Fisheries (Department of Fisheries).

I've found there are different zones of "protected" waters in Belize.

a) Preservation Zone will be a no-entry and no-take zone designed to maintain particularly fragile habitat or areas important to the survival of threatened and rare species.

b) Conservation Zone I with no extractive uses allowed, and only non-extractive
recreational uses such as diving permitted.

c) Conservation Zone II will allow limited extraction particularly by those traditionally
using that area, sport fishing on a catch-and-release basis, commercial, recreational,
and sportfishing during the open season, with control over fishing gear. Nonextractive
recreational activities will be allowed.

d) General Use Zone will allow fishing, tourism and other established activities, to be
continued in a sustainable manner under a stringent monitoring scheme. This zone
usually comprises all remaining parts of the MPA once zones a, b, c, and e, have
been identified.

e) Special Management Area will be zoned for education, interpretive facilities, research
and appreciation by the public, fishing camps and such.

Once again, I'm only talking about a dozen hermit crabs and snails, maybe some plants and small fish that I'd be bringing back.

Can anyone help identify or point me to the legal regulations, and not just second hand "In my opinion" or here-say that you may have heard from a friend of a friend?

I'll be checking in person with the Dept of Fisheries in Belize City before we head out to Ambergris, but if anyone could help me out before we arrive down there that'd be great.

THANK YOU!

If you are serious about this, why don't you hire a Belizean attorney to get written approval for you from the proper authority. I personally am opposed to people trapping wildlife for their personal pleasures. I'm only bothering to state this because you went to such great lenghths in telling us all about your plan. Have a great visit in Belize, but please don't take any natural resources home with you.

I have a feeling you could probably get the stuff out, but definitely check into getting it into the states. I know there is a pile of regs regarding this, to the point that you usually have to state on your incoming customs form if you have any plant or animal products.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
MEK AH FIND YOU IN MY LAGOON PAL ......

I'LL GIVE YOU A GREETING YU'LL NEVER FORGET

GOT IT....!!

C
C
Nevermind Moose- he's not even in Belize!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
nice name

G
G
Rock o Heap,
Word of advice, do your homework first.

R
OP Offline
R
Planning, research and permits aren't really that hard to obtain. There are much worse offenders than people taking home a dozen snails off a beach.

More life is damaged every time a boat is beached thus crushing various critters, that accidental splashing of gas into the water while filling up your boats gas tanks, fertilizer or waste pollution, or someone's loose moose running rampet spewing his poop.

Much worse offenders of over-harvesting conch and lobster, which is confusing as to why the license and permitted catch regulations aren't that more readily posted.

I'll check with the department of fisheries while in Belize City to get the facts and data.

"There are much worse offenders than people taking home a dozen snails off a beach."

Sure, but why intentionally offend at all? Leave the wildlife where it belongs - in the wild.

R
OP Offline
R
Please everyone, come march in my "save a snail" parade that I'll soon be hosting in Ambergris Caye. There recently has been an rush of French people eating all the snails of the sea, and we must all pitch in and help save the poor creatures and transport them to a "safe haven", I.E. my aquarium where they'll be fed daily and allowed to breed freely. Did you honestly know that a snail can squirt sperm 5" during mating? Well now you do. Serious.

Save a cow parade is next month, as that dang McDonalds corporation has now over-harvested and is running out of American Cows and now is having to resort to importing New Zealand and Australian cows.

See here:

http://www.nebraskacattlemen.org/newsreleases/2002newsreleases/nrl42502.htm

Please do attend my cow parade, but don't wear any leather sandals or sneakers as the other cows participating may get offended....

Save a tree month is coming up soon. Tear down your house now in support.

<GRINS> Come on people, here I am trying to do the permit foot work and do things legally to collect some marine life for my aquarium and I get slammed for it. Yet we all sure love our Cracked Conch and fresh lobster in garlic and butter for dinner don't we.....

Where do you draw the line?

S'cuze me while I eat my teriyaki chicken for lunch. oh yummy that bird is good and tastey.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 131 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.