Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#76043 11/11/03 12:29 AM
OP Offline
As a new visitor I can't believe how much one can learn through this board. Thanks to those who have responded and much more learned through a search of previous postings.

Would be interested in hearing about taking the plane from Belize City to AC vs. the ferry. I'd like to take the ferry at least for the trip down. Pros? Cons?

What's the deal with the sea wall? Does that generally mean one must dive off the dock to get into the water? I thought we'd be able to walk from the beach into the water. We'll be up North at Belizean Shores.

#76044 11/11/03 09:09 AM
Ferry is not so interesting & takes an hour. Boats leave at times that generally do not match air-arrivals, and you can't take tons of luggage. Also there are no reservations, so you take your chances arriving and getting on. Fly.

#76045 11/11/03 09:31 AM
S
S
As far as I know Belizean Shores has no seawall. So you will be able to walk directly into the water.
Also like Diane says, "Please fly to San Pedro" because going by boat is not the most comfortable thing to do.
You can ask Belizean Shores to help you with making reservations for your Domestic Flight, and you can fly or with Tropic Air or Maya. The rates are the same (?), only different companies....
Hope you enjoy your vacation.
P.S. Belizean Shores has a GREAT swimming pool, where you can order a nice and refreshing cocktail in their pool bar...

#76046 11/11/03 09:31 AM
Most places you can walk right into the water. The sea walls that exist in some places are usually only a foot or two high and generally a bit back from the waterline. There are a few bigger ones tho, but I would say they are the exception. Check to see what you have out in front of your residence.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#76047 11/11/03 11:17 AM
D
D
Sorry Dianne But I beg to differ. The Ferry boat trip to AC is wonderful. You get to see a bit of Belize city and the trip across is a great time.I enjoy the passage thru the mangroves to the backside of the island. As to bags.I have never had a problem.Remember a good deal of the freight is delivered to the island on the same boat that is bringing people.There are several operators, my favourite is the Thunderbolt.
Instant gratification? take the plane.
Enjoy the ride? Take the boat. There

#76048 11/11/03 12:08 PM
Great advice for people who arrive by bus-However-the ferry is interesting -cargo is delivered by barge-it is hugely expensive to have cargo delivered by ferry and only small amounts.
thunderbolt leaves the city at 4.00pm -it is a 40bzd cab ride from the airport 25bzd pp to san Pedro-The caye caulker water taxi leaves at 4.30 and takes at least one and a half hours because it stops at Caye Chapel and Caye Caulker.
Lets look at the problems.
1.Getting through customs with luggage,and finding taxi.

2. You get taken to the wrong place as the cab driver did not understand you.
3. Your plane was late-if you book it almost 100% that you will be delivered by airlines to San Pedro.\
4.You have spent a fortune flying here and arranging your acccom.-do you really want all this aggravation on your first trip to Belize?
5.It starts to rain while you are on the ferry-and you get soaked.
6.you finally arrive in SP and it is still raining and there are no taxis to take you to your hotel as they are all parked at the airport.
7. Read "Don't stop the Carnival"

#76049 11/11/03 02:15 PM
I agree with Diane.
We thought we would save some money and take the ferry.
to our surprise the price wasn't that much different.if you fly from municipal to A/C. Well, We had to wait 2 hours for the ferry to
leave. It was very, very crowded I had to sit very close to a man that had bad BO for 1 1/2 hours. You could NOT move. I love boating but this
was awful and I will never do it again.
FLY FLY FLY
Boop

#76050 11/12/03 12:52 AM
R
R
Try taking the ferry over and the plane back, its all part of the adventure. You'll enjoy Belizean Shores.

#76051 11/12/03 08:40 AM
I'd fly. If you want a boat ride do the Lamamai
trip from SP! You will probably take the boat to CC too.
Richard eek

#76052 11/12/03 09:20 AM
I take the water taxi several times a week, and its all the above.... (cargo & B/O) plus more, don't ya just luv it? However... if I was a first time traveler to Belize, and had spent big bucks on my dream vacation, I would fly, its spectacular. For once Pedro and I agree on something.
--Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.