Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#76506 11/20/03 06:02 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by MN Jeff:
Well done!! Thanks for posting all the pictures. I'm curious to hear where you got the underwater case for your digital camera, I didn't know there was such a thing...

Glad you had such a good time-
Jeff
I have a Canon S200 Elph camera and Canon makes a waterproof case for it, the WP-DC600. I was pretty happy with it, although it's hard to take pictures of fish. They tend to be shy and not let you get too close.

I had mixed results with the underwater case when the camera was out of the water as the lens had to shoot through that extra glass but underwater it was great.

As far as where you get them... I just bought mine online from Amazon shopping. I bet if you put your camera make and model in Google along with "underwater case" you'd get some results. They aren't cheap, though.

#76507 11/20/03 06:07 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by River Shark:
Charliec,
Great job with the pictures - they really bring back some memories.
What type and model of camera did you use? We are looking at buying a digital camera and are curious. It looks like you were able to take panoramic shots as well as normal ones. And is it the same one you used for the underswater shots?
"Thanks for the memeories"
The Shark
As I mentioned, I used a Canon S200 Elph. Now they have an S400 which has more megapixels (4 as opposed to my 2). I used the same camera for all the photos. The panoramic shots were created with software that came with the camera. You just have to take overlapping shots and the software stitches the photos together for you on a computer. The camera comes with a panormaic mode which makes it easier to take adjacent shots but it's really not necessary. The key is the software. As long as the shots overlap it should work. BTW, I wasn't really happy with some of the pan shots as you can see where they are joined. I've taken better ones.

I'm really happy with my digital Elph. It's very small and comes with a stainless steel housing. Plus it has a variety of manual features for getting dark shots, etc... The only negatives are a weak flash and you only get a 2X zoom. But that's the price to pay for the small size.

#76508 11/20/03 07:03 PM
wow...very impressive photographic record!

your day of fishing/snorkeling sounded wonderful...we are hoping to do the same...and still hoping to find another couple to share the charter with us during the last week of february.

would love to find an underwater case for our digital camera too...beats the disposable cams and you did a great job with photoshop.

thanks so much for all the time you spent preparing that multi-page report. we can't wait to make our first trip and see some of those things too!

#76509 11/20/03 09:59 PM
D
D
charlie c....thank you, thank you for the wonderful pics and info. We have 8 days until we arrive for our first visit. Your web page has made me feel so much more comfortable about going to a strange place. Since I don't dive it's nice to see that you had so much fun doing other things and that it was a family trip, as ours will be. Thanks again, Mrs. divedoc

#76510 11/21/03 02:49 AM
Charlie, that was so satisfying, I might need to have a smoke. Thanks. smile

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm jealous as all heck. I've never seen a starfish or a squid in all the time I've been diving there.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#76511 11/21/03 02:53 AM
charliec....thank you so much for the wonderful report & photos.....kerry

#76512 11/21/03 11:19 AM
in the category for best trip report using pix and links,

drum roll pls laugh

the winner is charliec, an instructor from our great city of houston, tx

applause, applause cool

charlie, do you instruct people how to make great web sites???? loved the report.

#76513 11/21/03 07:42 PM
S
S
CharlieC
Great photos.
I recently purchased my first digital camera. It is exactly the same as yours. [Canon digital Elph S200]. I love it. So far I have a 128MB memory card. I haven't figured out how many photos I can take at high resolution yet. But I'm planning a Central American tour soon and will be taking hundreds of photos. I assume that you had a laptop or something to download the photos into. I have nothing [yet]. I'm wondering if one can download to a Palm Pilot or something like that. Or, should I just buy a number of memory cards? Thanks in advance for anyone's reply.

#76514 11/22/03 01:41 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by sailboatjoe:
CharlieC
I'm wondering if one can download to a Palm Pilot or something like that. Or, should I just buy a number of memory cards? Thanks in advance for anyone's reply.
I just used two memory cards - a 256 anda 128. I didn't fill either of them up and I was using the highest resolution with medium compression. The pictures on the web site (large ones) are reduced in size and quality for speed's sake. I don't have one, but I understand you can buy USB hard drives to downloard your pictures on to. You can also just have several cards. Probably best not to get very large cards (i.e. more, smaller cards) that way if you lose or break a card you haven't lost all your pictures.

Make sure you buy extra batteries. At least one. I used two and ran out of juice a couple of times (good thing I had a second battery).

#76515 11/22/03 11:14 AM
Charlie, I add my appreciation for the great report and pictures. Thanks!!!!!! smile cool laugh

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.