Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#78284 01/10/04 11:03 PM
bintipa Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

I'll be in San Pedro the first week of February for the Jerry Jeff event, and while there, I'd naturally like to try some snorkling. However, I can't see to far without glasses, and I don't wear contacts.

I've heard that in places like Hawaii, it's possible to rent prescription masks from the dive shops there, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if the dive/snorkling operators in San Pedro might also do so.

Any alternate suggestions for a visual snorkling experience also greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

cheers -- bintipa

Without a doubt bring your own mask

Bintipa~
Go to your local dive shop and have your prescription put into a dive mask for you. It's not that expensive and well worth the money! My husband has had his for 5 yrs. w/o a change in the lens of his mask.
Coco Loco Lady

Coco
snorkeling is definitely a "visual" experience above all else...

even if you didn't need prescription glass...i'd advise getting your own mask before you go...even if you're not an experienced snorkeler...it will greatly add to your enjoyment as a beginner too...

the last thing you want is a leaky, ill fitting mask...invest a bit of money in a mask that allows you the full enjoyment...and you'll be hooked on snorkeling forever!

My eye sight is horrible. Smartest thing I did was invest in a prescription mask and my own dry snorkel before our first trip. I highly recommend it. The couple we went with struggled with their rented equipment. Have a great trip. mobunny cool

bintipa Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Coco,

Maybe I should shop at your local dive shop, because mine suggested a price in the $200 range, which is rather more than I wanted to invest in an object that may well turn out to be a one time use object with very limited garage sale appeal.
That's why I was trying to prod around for more creative solutions.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

cheers -- bintipa

J
J
I don't know if this really works, but I have seen it recommended on other boards. If you have an old pair of glasses you don't care about, remove the side pieces (I know there's a real word for these, but it's beyond me at the moment). Anyway, then go to a dive shop and try on some regular masks, with your glasses on your nose, being held in place by the mask.

My husband snorkels with his contact lenses in place, so that might be another option.

Jean

When I first began to travel I bought the small "stick on" optical inserts at my local dive shop, these are applied to the inside of your mask, but I found that I didn't need them as things look much larger under water. I too think that owning your own mask is a must, even if it is from a sporting goods store. I snorkle often & bought one that fits my face well, but they can be expensive. The rented ones are just a bit unsanitary from my perspective. Cheaper masks can be gotten at any sporting goods store and haven't had a million faces in them.Have a great time. smile

Bintipa~
Depends on how expensive of a mask you pick out as to how expensive this would be.
Coco

Coco
good luck, I ware glasses too, and I have snorkeld a million times, depending how bad your vision is, if you just ware the mask alone you would be surprised it actually changes the clarity slightly anyway. Have fun and good luck. If you do buy a pair on the island, go to pro tecs shop, ask if they have a used one you can borrow or rent, or buy even.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 282 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.