Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#78912 01/21/04 02:33 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Just back from New Year's Eve week on Ambergris Caye. It was one of the best trips ever -- and since I'd much rather think about my NEXT vacation than work...does anyone have recommendations of similar islands to visit? I have a group of single friends that love the BVI's and Belize because of the fun casual atmosphere, wonderful snorkeling, great beaches -and great beach bars. We prefer areas that aren't too developed or commercial (no KFC on the corner please!) and attract singles as well as couples. We'll be back to Belize someday, but want to try someplace new next New Years. We'd love to hear suggestions.

Thanks!

#78913 01/21/04 04:32 PM
D
D
Belize Bound asks a good question here! As I have been to San Pedro and really loved it, at least enough to bring all (5) of my kids back to visit this year. We enjoyed the peaceful ways of the people and the town/ As well we enjoyed the night life. I would like to ask folks the same question as Belize Bound. My wife like to dive and I like to fish, Is there other islands around to compare with Paradise? We enjoy traveling to spots where we can do all---Dive, Fish and whats that other thing? Oh yea Party!! Any help would be great! Too answer Belize Bounds question we enjoyed Cozumel Mexico also!!

#78914 01/21/04 06:51 PM
We are heading for Belize for the first time (my questions will come soon)so I can't compare the two but we love Akumal. We were there two years ago and loved it. Great snorkeling (big fish and turtles), wonderful people (Mayan), ruins, caves, ceynotes etc. Major development was going on while we were there so go soon.

#78915 01/22/04 11:57 AM
S
S
Having been to both Belize (2x) and the BVI (6th trip next month), I can tell you that you will, indeed, enjoy the BVI, especially at New Year's. What's great about the BVI (among many other things) is that you can be in the thick of things at one of the islands' many, legendary beach bars (Foxy's, Bomba's, the Soggy Dollar, the Willie T, etc.) and enjoying a crazy barefoot party one night, and the next day you can be on a completely deserted beach or a pristine dive site. Commercial they aren't, but the BVIs attract a sailing crowd and sailors enjoy their libations.

In fact, to get the most out of the BVI, you may want to think about a sailing trip. If you don't sail yourself, go an a crewed charter. The best way to get to all of those great spots is by boat -- better than being tied to day sails and ferries, many of which won't get you to the hot spots when you want them.

#78916 01/23/04 10:38 AM
D
D
Apart from AC for these activities, there is also Placencia and Hopkins.

Also there are resorts like the Blue Marlin on South Water Caye.

#78917 01/23/04 11:36 AM
I used to go to the BVI often, until I started coming to Belize about 13 years ago. But the BVI are beautiful and well worth visiting. I also love some of the smaller islands in the Caribbean that don't get mass tourism, like Saba and Statia.

Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Nicarauga are really Belize's competition in the region (and Guatemala, for other reasons). All except Guatemala have some beautiful beaches. And all except Costa Rica are significantly cheaper than Belize.

Of course there's so much more to Belize than just Ambergris Caye. You could spend a lifetime traveling around the corners of Belize and not really know all of it well.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#78918 01/26/04 03:22 PM
Hi Belize Bound,

I have yet to visit Belize, but I will be there in April (can hardly wait!!). I was glad to hear that it compares well to the BVI's for laid back atmosphere and good snorkeling.

Here's some other islands that you might enjoy:

Bonaire is great for clear waters, snorkeling and relaxing. It's part of the "ABC" islands and nowhere near as commercial as Aruba.

Anywhere in the Grenadines is terrific. I've been to both Mustique and Palm Island, both are beautiful islands with great beaches, and only a short boat ride away from the Tobago Keys where you will find the best snorkeling anywhere!

I'm not sure what to expect in Belize. From what I'm reading on this message board, everyone seems to like it. April can't come soon enough....I'm getting so tired of cold and snow!!

#78919 01/28/04 09:38 PM
We were in Cancun last year...the beaches are beautiful and of course it's the place to go to party..however the best dives and snorkeling is found about 45 minutes south in Riviera Maya...a very remote area...not many restaurants or the such but we did the best snorkeling, they have cinotas that you can snorkel & dive in that's an experience our family will never forget.

#78920 01/29/04 12:22 PM
B
B
Been to the BVI's several times and had great vacations. You may want to try a Windjammer barefoot cruise. They have trips all over the caribbean. Inexpensive and lots of fun. The dive boat pulls along the ship to pick you up.

Bonaire has some great diving and several good bars. Besides the great diving, what we like the most about Bonaire, was the shore diving. We rented a pick up truck and loaded the bed with tanks. 90% of the divews are accessable from the shore as the reef starts approx. 100 feet form the shore..

We went to Grand Cayman last year and stayed at the Cayman Dive Lodge. Excellent diving and food. the only drawback to staying there is its remote location.
web page

We will be making our first trip to AC in 13 days, looking forward to it!!!!!

#78921 01/29/04 01:30 PM
T
T
Spent a week onboard a sailboat in the San Blas Islands and it was the best snorkeling I've even done.

Check it out. http://www.sanblassailing.com/sanblas.htm

It's on the north coast of Panama and not highly developed for tourism yet.

tofino

tofino
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.