Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#79112 01/24/04 05:18 PM
R
raskage Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Am heading down in late March, early April from the frigid Alaskan bush for my honeymoon. This time around, since it is my honeymoon and all; I will only have one day for fishing. Hoping to split the day between bonefish and tarpon. Anybody have reliable info on the fishing this time of year? Specifically, flies, wind, fishing conditions? It's minus 40 here right now, as I try to figure out how to tie my beloved egg sucking leech on a #6 hook; cause, damnit, I want to be able to say I caught a bonefish on one.
In case anyone is coming up this way this summer, crazy charlies and gotcha's are terrific grayling flies. Of course, the guides will look at you like you're insane.

#79113 01/25/04 02:51 PM
T
T
Originally posted by raskage:
Am heading down in late March, early April from the frigid Alaskan bush for my honeymoon. This time around, since it is my honeymoon and all; I will only have one day for fishing. Hoping to split the day between bonefish and tarpon. Anybody have reliable info on the fishing this time of year? Specifically, flies, wind, fishing conditions? It's minus 40 here right now, as I try to figure out how to tie my beloved egg sucking leech on a #6 hook; cause, damnit, I want to be able to say I caught a bonefish on one.
In case anyone is coming up this way this summer, crazy charlies and gotcha's are terrific grayling flies. Of course, the guides will look at you like you're insane.

#79114 01/25/04 04:40 PM
rasakge 40 below ,thats cold any way I am not a fly fisherman but I do fish there each month see my posts ,any way the local guides are the experts at catching you the bones and tarpon I asked my capt and guide what he recomands as I know nothing on this type of fishing ,he is bicho of fishingsanpedro.com fame he said it all depends on the wind and where in the flats /lagoon he takes you ??? that day and whats on the bite that day or week ???so from the answer or no answer I got from the the flats expert was you need to let the capt /guide you hire he will tell you when you get there?? so bring everything with you and then put them away because he will give you his secret lure /or fly to hang some fish ??? thats the best I can say if that makes any sence ????? but book a guide quick , tight lines and good fishing to you .live the dream enjoy !!!!!

Living The Dream Every Day!
#79115 01/25/04 04:56 PM
R
raskage Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally posted by captjeff:
rasakge 40 below ,thats cold any way I am not a fly fisherman but I do fish there each month see my posts ,any way the local guides are the experts at catching you the bones and tarpon I asked my capt and guide what he recomands as I know nothing on this type of fishing ,he is bicho of fishingsanpedro.com fame he said it all depends on the wind and where in the flats /lagoon he takes you ??? that day and whats on the bite that day or week ???so from the answer or no answer I got from the the flats expert was you need to let the capt /guide you hire he will tell you when you get there?? so bring everything with you and then put them away because he will give you his secret lure /or fly to hang some fish ??? thats the best I can say if that makes any sence ????? but book a guide quick , tight lines and good fishing to you .live the dream enjoy !!!!!

#79116 01/25/04 05:30 PM
raskage whats the deal ,you sent the post I sent back to the board from you ??whats the ,story am I missing something duh ,duh ,?????

#79117 01/25/04 05:42 PM
R
raskage Offline OP
OP Offline
R
no, just cold fingers. sorry. What's the weather like in early April, as far as wind and temp? Whatever it is, we'll be sweltering, as the usual temp. here is still below zero.

#79118 01/25/04 05:59 PM
march windy /april can have some wind ,temp 75 low 85 high but the weather the last few years .is not the norm ??/ el nino must be to blame ????but there are spots you can tuck in calm waters ..the time I tried the/flats , lagoon it was windy ,but capt bicho took me to spots away from the brezze ?? but I was spin fishing with ulta light tackel caught 6 bones ,three small cudas ,still to much work casting and all the placement the bait in front of the fish but the guys capt bicho takes out as there guide are crazy about the sport and love this guy ..it is like you flats , fly fishing guys speak a strange ,language ???? bicho tried to explan TO ME about feathers ,knots ,lures flys .to much work in a day ...

#79119 01/25/04 06:42 PM
R
raskage Offline OP
OP Offline
R
cool. saw elsewhere in this BB that it was in the 90's and no wind, therefore the hottest month of the year. didn't sound right to me.
next time you are down give yourself a day or even half to try the fly fishing thing. Not that hard, and a real blast.
yes, some fly fisherman are pretentious a**holes, who speak in weird Latin words. I do some guiding up here, and guys come up with 37,000 different flies. We basically use only about 5 different ones for all the fish. and for spin fishing, you only really need a red or chartreuse pixie. Knots are knots, you can go into your local fly shop and ask the guy to give you $50 worth of bonefish flies, and you're all set.

#79120 01/25/04 07:12 PM
T
T
In response to your bonefishing question..... I have tried flyfishing for bones in A/C, but being a total novice didnt have much sucess.(we did get some bones to follow) I have been going to A/C for a number of years and have had a great deal of sucess catching bones with ultralight tackle.As I have always gone late Jan. or early Feb. cant comment on the time of year you will be going. However, I can tell you we have always found huge schools when we wanted. From what I have heard down there the guides at El Pescador are supposed to be the flyfishing / flats experts on A/C. See their website. Did alittle fishing in your state several years back ,what a beautiful place, although Im glad Im not there now. Anyway, god luck with your trip- hope this info helped.

#79121 01/25/04 10:12 PM
R
raskage Offline OP
OP Offline
R
TIMO---
where did you fish up here? I'm in the southwest, some of the best fishing, but not the high-buck "glamour" lodges. As soon as it warms up (above zero) i'm supposed to go snowmachining up the river to do some icefishing for rainbows, or even some fly fishing where the water is open.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 110 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.