Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#80302 02/13/04 08:08 PM
G
Greg N Offline OP
OP Offline
G
How rough is the water this time of year for reef fishing, deep sea fishing or snorkeling at Shark ray/hol chin?

Seeing if we need some dramamine for the adventures.

#80303 02/13/04 09:02 PM
T
T
Greg N-
Just returned from AC 2/9, weather was variable, both calm and windy days. Deep sea fishing was out of the question on those windy days, but we had two good days and went over the reef. This is our 8th trip, during all of our trips, we have always been able to fish inside the reef, regardless of weather. We caught several nice size barracuda (15-20 lbs), horse eyed jacks (20 lbs), and several red and mutton snappers (12-15 lbs). Caught many other species, too many to count. Had a fabulous time! We did not snorkel this time, but there were several days where snorkling was good. Divers continued on all days, even when the wind was blowing hard. Hope this helps you out. You can always count on a wonderful trip to AC, regardless of weather.
Trip report and pix to follow-still trying to figure out how to post our pix.
TIMO

#80304 02/13/04 09:17 PM
T
T
Sorry, forgot about the dramamine part of your question-- Depends on your stomach, as some people have more problems than others. Personally, my only problem came one morning after a few too many Belikin Stout's, but rough seas could affect almost anybody on a given day. Pack the dramamine and if you need it you've got it. If your not feeling well on any particular morning, it does'nt hurt to take one before going out. Hope this helps.
TIMO

#80305 02/13/04 10:52 PM
I
I
Instead of Dramamine you might try Meclizine HCI.
It is otc, Long's and Rite Aid carry it. It works great for me (the sea-sick queen). And doesn't make me sleepy like Dramamine can.

#80306 02/14/04 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Greg N:
How rough is the water this time of year for reef fishing, deep sea fishing or snorkeling at Shark ray/hol chin?

Seeing if we need some dramamine for the adventures.
Bonine is great stuff, it is over the counter. It's in a chewable form. for an adult most people take 4 pills. It can get a little hairy out there in the outside or the blue waters while trolling. However it can be worthwhile.

Mel Sinderman
#80307 02/14/04 08:02 AM
Don't eat any heavy and/or greasy brekkies. Bring/eat some ginger snap cookies or go to Beachy's place and get some real ginger. Eat some ginger before and while heading out on the boat.

Also, keep your eye on the horizon and not on the up and down of the sea.

Do eat (some say don't eat at all) but just have something like a pear and a piece of cheese (and a ginger snap). smile

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#80308 02/14/04 01:54 PM
Fresh ginger usually available at all the fruit stands and markets. Grows on the mainland. Great for stomach.

#80309 02/16/04 11:54 AM
T
T
I will be wearing a patch. Put one on and for 72 hours just forget about it. I'm a sailor and have been boating for 35 years and still get queasy. I even got seasick while snorkeling last time in Belize. Perhaps the patch works best for someone on a boat 24 hours a day, but I hate taking pills and sometimes forget until it's too late. Just one more idea.

tofino (on our way Wednesday morning)

tofino
#80310 02/17/04 11:49 AM
B
B
Have your doctor write you a script for Scopalimine/scopace. It is the pill version of the patch, however the side effects (dryness) are minimal. Just take it when you wake up and you are fine for the day. Very expensive, however if you have good insurance, get it.....

#80311 02/21/04 10:01 PM
E
E
Greg, my husband I just returned from AC and did his dive certification and some snorkeling in Hol Chan. I am extremely susceptible to motion sickness. Hol Chan (and Shark Ray Alley) are inside the reef which makes them much, much calmer than sites outside the reef. When we were there, the island was experiencing very high winds (diving was actually cancelled for two days). Needless to say, the sea was choppier than normal. But it is always better inside the reef. The first day we went out, I had no problem with the seas. The second day, I got a little queezy after the first dive. It all depends upon how sensitive you (or your travel partner) are to motion sickness. If in doubt, take Bonine (much better than Dramamine). Take one the night before and 1 or 2 more (depending upon your body size) the next morning one to two hours before you go out. Avoid greasy foods and ginger also helps a bit. My recommendation, if the wind is at all strong, take the Bonine... better safe than seasick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.