Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
looking up info for a friend who plans to come to AC from corozal...the info on THIS site says that boats leave corozal at 3 p.m. (thunderbolt) or 6 a.m. (another boat company) to come to AC...but on the thunderbolt site it only shows at 7 a.m. departure from corozal to AC.

has anyone taken this boat trip recently?

just trying to figure out if she needs to be in corozal really early in the morning...or if there really is a later trip every day...

I am pretty sure it is the 7 AM trip, only.

mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks NYgal...

i've been scanning other posts from the past...and looks like you're right...the info on this site has it backwards... the afternoon boat trip is from SP to Corozal...

my only other concern is whether or not this trip can be done in one day without flights...my friend is leaving playa del carmen in mexico to come to AC....

is it possible to leave playa del carmen in the morning...and make all the bus/taxi connections and border crossing...and be able to get to belize city in time to catch the last water taxi of the day?

That I can't help with, sorry.

Are flights totally out of the question?

If not, it's cheaper to catch Tropic Air and will be there in a shorter period of time, from Corozal. Just a thought smile

If you leave Playa Del Carmen early enough (like 5 or 7 a.m.), and then take a cab across the border, you can make it to the Corozal airstrip with no sweat. If you leave too late, and then try to do the bus the whole way, border crossing and all, it will be pushing it and you probably won't make it. The 1st class express bus from Playa to Chetumal is 4.5 hours. If you cab it from there to the border, do your crossing, and then switch cabs to a Belizean company, you shave off a lot of time. Speaking Spanish helps, when in Chetumal, negotiating for a cab. I've never paid more than $15 U.S. toi get from the bus station to the border. Once in Belize, you will have to use a Belizean cab company, they don't seem to allow Mexican cabs past the Free Trade Zone.
To be in Corozal for the 7 a.m. boat to San Pedro, you need to leave on the midnight bus from Playa Del Carmen.
I've tried to do the bus the whole way, once, it was frustrating, so now I usually cab it across the border, the crossing is faster.
--Lee

mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks for that info lee...i will pass it on to my friend...

at this point she thinks it's too expensive to do the flight from corozal to SP and wants to get to Belize City to take the water taxi from there. but...i'm not sure that... a) it's possible to do this trip in one day and make the the last taxi....and....b) it's cheaper.

any help on those thoughts?

J
J
I just looked on Tropic Air's web site and it's only $35.00 to fly from Corozol to San Pedro. Considering the time involved in getting to Belize City, and then to the ferry dock, I can't imagine it would be worth the savings, especially in terms of time.

Mikell, you must be getting close to leaving on vacation. A week from tomorrow for us. I can hardly stand it. Hope to see you at BC's on the 29th.

Jean

mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
hi jean! yes! we are hardly able to sleep any more...two more sleeps and we're on our way! and the travel forecast looks good this friday...(whew! no snow storm threats to delay us!!)

regarding my friend ...i'm sure the best way to go is from corozal to AC...but the cost will determine her decision...she's on a very limited budget...just spent 3 months in guatemala and mexico and is on her way back to canada...probably pretty broke by now. she flies out of belize city...so the chance to come see me just before she goes home is a nice coincidence. i haven't seen her in about three years. one way or another she's going to get to AC for our reunion...if the cost difference from corozal is small...she'd do that.

we're in touch by email right now and i'm passing all this info on to her before we leave. thank god for the internet!

You could always meet her in Belize City before her flight out.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.