Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80806 02/20/04 07:30 PM
Marsali Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All! We're back from our trip to AC 2/3-2/11. And it was fabulous!

From the moment we landed at the Belize City Airport, we had fun. The owner of the Jet's Bar called us into his place and served us the "Best Rum Punch" in Belize. He also gave us a signed picture. Everyone there and on the island was friendly and fun.

Our first night on AC, we had the Beach BBQ at Ramon's and we drank waayyy too much rum punch at the Purple Parrot. We were in a bad way the next day. Luckily, that was one of the only two days of bad weather, so we were able to lay in a hammock and read and not feel guilty about being so lazy.

Also on our first night there, we met another mother and daughter travelling together and we had a ton of fun with them. Went out with them the next night to Fido's for music (Category X was eXcellent!) and to Wet Willy's for Ladies' Night and free jello shots. Did I mention we drank like de' fishes when we there?

My mother had about 20 hours of class to attend, so I got a lot tanner than her as I spent the time when she was in class laying out on Ramon's absolutely beautiful beach.

Some of the great stuff we did:

* Rented a golf cart and went over the hand ferry to the North side of the island. We had drinks at the Palappa Bar but couldn't go too far north as our rental agreement wouldn't allow it. Some beautiful houses up there.

* Ate some amazing food--Had dinner at Rendezvous one night, and Capricorn the next. The water taxi was an adventure as it was windy, wet, and choppy--needless to say, I didn't curl my hair after the first night. Food at Rendezvous was unparalleled. Very good wine too. Capricorn was okay--great ceviche and sauteed conch. I ordered a seafood platter, and wasn't thrilled with it, but the ambiance and appetizers made up for it.

* We also ate a wonderful meal at Caliente's and watched the chicken drop. That was a blast, but unfortunately, we didn't win frown

* Had a nice lunch at Sweet Du Monde where they have the BEST sangria I have ever tasted. I also had a massage and pedicure at the Sol Spa in the same building (big purple mall).

* Snorkelled off the end of Ramon's pier. Some beautiful fish, lots of rays. Supposedly there are two bull sharks that come around in the evenings around 6:30PM, but I never saw them.

* Snorkelled Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. The day before had been windy and rainy, so the water was very murky. My mom got a bad case of Reef Rash when she bumped up against some coral and I got the fright of my life at Hol Chan because a 5' shark showed up 10 feet away from me--between me and the boat. As soon as I saw him, I started freaking out, and Luis, our captain, let me go back to the boat when he swam out of my way. If I would have swam that fast in high school, I would have been a champion on the swim team wink I stayed in the boat at Shark Ray Alley, but my mom enjoyed watching the rays. Only one small shark showed up, but Alex, the First Mate, was able to flip him on his back and the snorkellers were able to touch his belly. I enjoyed the boat wink

* We were supposed to go to Lamanai on Sunday but it was POURING down rain, so we cancelled. I am disappointed not to have seen the ruins and the mainland, but after hearing the reaction of some of the other participants, we felt we made a wise decision--over an hour in a small boat in bad weather was VERY unpleasant.

* We biked around the South side of the island and saw some beautiful homes and had a wonderful dinner at Taste of Thailand.

* We had custom-made clothes made for us at Isla Bonita Designs. The owners made me the most beautiful skirt, wraparound pants ("sexy pants" we were told they're called) and a tank top. Absolutely gorgeous!

All in all, we had a wonderful time. I have never seen anything as beautiful as the turquoise water and powder white beaches, unless it was the full harvest moon that rose on our first night there. It was one of the most gorgeous places I have ever seen, and I would love to take my husband there someday.

Thank you to everyone for all your help when I was researching. Belize me, I was the most informed tourist in our group.

Best,
Marsali

P.S. As soon as I have pics, I'll post them smile Thanks again!

#80807 02/20/04 07:32 PM
Marsali Offline OP
OP Offline
OMG, I totally forgot! We met Paisano our first night there, and I took his picture with my mother. They made a very cute couple!

#80808 02/20/04 08:16 PM
K
K
Do you mean to tell me that Jet did not give you a signed coaster? He also drew a swan on mine. Because I treasure my coaster, I have it sitting on my dressing table since I have returned home. I am delighted that you had a fabulous trip; I agree that it would be a fabulous place to go with a significant other.

#80809 02/21/04 09:25 AM
hey Marsali, did you get to sample any booze while you were there? hahahaha Your trip sounded like loads of fun, glad you and Mom enjoyed it. I hope Chloe doesn't read that your Mom was getting that close to Paisano, she will be jealous! :p

#80810 02/23/04 11:11 PM
So the rain kept you from B.C's for the beach bbq as well?? I looked for you & called your name, but you weren't there. Several of us met & hoped to meet you too. frown

#80811 02/23/04 11:38 PM
Love reading the trip reports on this board...makes us first timers eager to get there!!! Thanks, Marsali, for your newsy post. Are there really bull sharks that hang out at Ramon's (I'm hoping the frequent Belizers will shed some light on that one)!!! And what areas would snorklers feel at home snorkeling without the worry of running into these not so favorite of mine creatures?

#80812 02/23/04 11:44 PM
Marsali great reporting, sounds like you and Mom had a great Caye time.

Good to see Isla Bonita Designs getting some attention here, been way too long since they have been mentioned.

What's this about your Mom and my Paisano, making a cute couple? He's taken, period. wink

Dare To Deviate
#80813 02/24/04 09:23 AM
Good trip smile thanks for sharing.

Looks like a hit and run, Chloe smile

#80814 02/24/04 09:26 AM
Looking forward to your pics. We were next door at The Palms when you were there. Had every intention of making BC's that Sunday, but went diving in the rain instead. Was the trip up to your expectations?

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.