Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
suntam Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have read all the postings about crime in your forum. Has it gotten better the last few months? You seem to have two camps. One camp thinks its like anywhere else and you just have to watch your stuff. The other camp insists the problem is getting worse and needs attention and isn't like everywhere else. I guess my thought in reading the comments is I have never been approached by someone to sell be drugs in America. I know they are there, even in my town, but people don't approach you unless you look for it and act the part. I would not like that on a vacation - kind of creepy. So how does San Pedro compare to Nassau? We have been there and my husband was approach by someone trying to sell him drugs. Also, the people there were really insistant trying to sell us stuff every few blocks. How does San Pedro compare to that kind of situation? I like having all the comments available in your forum!! Sound like an awesome palce to see the sealife!

tami
Nassau is worse.

S
suntam Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks, can anyone tell me if the situation is getting better? What should I expect on a typical day/night in San Pedro walking down the main street and in a general restaurant? Thanks again.

tami
My opinion would be it's not worth the time to worry about. We had a guy go past us on a bike while we were walking single file on the beach, and as he reached each person he would say pot? pot? pot? and he just kept going when there was no response, didn't even miss a beat on the pedals. A few people handing out free drink or appetizer coupons for restaurants, no serious hustling that we experienced. We have no worries in town, and very very few on the beach at night. As with anywhere else, don't add to the temptation tho. If you leave a bag on your golf cart when you go in somewhere to eat, chances are about even it won't be there when you return. We feel safer in SP than just about anywhere else we have been (including home).

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
The vast majority of the locals are the nicest folk you are likely to find anywhere. You have to experience them to believe it.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
We just got back last week from AC. The end of our trip fell over San Pedro's celebration of Carnival. We had no problems with crime or drugs. We were never approached or hassled.
I agree - the locals are the nicest people you'll meet.

T
T
just say no

K
K
Funny story. I was staying at Casa Tortuga which is a couple of miles south of town. We arrived on Saturday around 2 but considering the time difference we had been up a long time. Sunday morning i ventured up the beach and found myself in front of Banana Beach. A young man was grooming the beach and he had a dog with him. I asked him if the dog bit and he said that the dog did not bite but he did...that was the extent of my scary moments. Also, on that same day I chose to go back to Casa Tortuga on the road as opposed to the beach. There is a stretch on the lagoon side that is isolated. There was a guy who followed me the whole time. I have no reason to believe he was up to no good but a very nice person happened to pass me on the road.. He stopped and offered me a ride and said that he knew that person as a bad seed. He worked at Ramon's and was in a Ramon's golf cart. He deposited me at Casa Tortuga and left me with a positive feeling about safety on the island.

I've been asked a couple of times, but I just say no thanks. Each time the result has been the same. The person making the offer, profusely apolgized to me. One of them even said, Please don't hate my people because of this. As if I could.

Did you read these threads?

//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006495#000002

//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=007106;p=2#000054

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

J
J
Hi Suntam,We just got back Sunday & only had one instance with a fellow on a bike on the beach at the place we stayed at in town.He rode by slowly & said good morning & came by again close to me and said "I have good Ganga" I said no thanks & he rode on with out saying any thing else.It does go on but I was all over the beach area in town & up & down every street & was never approached again.Like anywhere in this world there is the drug problem with a certain part of society.There are articles in the local papers in San Pedro concerning drug & booze problems with some of the locals.They are concerned & are trying to create a forum to address this issue.We never felt unsafe anywhere we went.There was an article in the latest issue of one of the papers the other day asking "Is San Pedro the next Cancun" Let's hope and pray it doesn't happen. But there are plans in the works for a huge new Resort in the south area. It talks of hundreds of units in a rather small area.My question is how can a small town like San Pedro handle the onslaught of a large increase such as that.But as we all know "money talks & bullshit walks".The developers will win out & walk away with the pockets stuffed & go back where they come from.With development comes more tourists & as it becomes more popular to visit San Pedro, the young spring breakers will find it & they will of course make it more profitable for those selling drugs to increase the need.It will happen, just as it did in Cozumel. I remenber going there when it was much different 20 years ago.It has grown quite a lot. As of now, I think San Pedro is very safe place & you will have no problems, just use your head.Would you leave any personel belongings
laying around at home? Not me. Just remember,we from the U.S. come from the most violent society in the entire world which is getting worse by the day.One thing you will notice in San Pedro is the children are so well behaved & not once did I see a parent or child raise their voice to one another.We could learn a lot from their family structure. Did I ramble to much?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.