Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#81367 03/01/04 03:31 PM
OP Offline
We are coming to AC at the end of the year and my husband is about to start tying some flies for Bonefish, Permit and Tarpon. He would just like to know if it is necessary to add weed guards to them for fishing AC. He is fishing with Capt.Bicho for a few days but would like to know if flyfishing the cut area would be any good and what he would be likely to catch from the beach there as that is where we are staying. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

#81368 03/01/04 05:09 PM
there's a guy Angelo who would know alot about that...read a post from him the other day and it was quite informative...Angelo if you see this, perhaps you can help out laugh Meanwhile..go to the search and type in honeymoon...I think it was under a thread where a couple from Alaska were honeymooning in AC and the husband to be had made up over 100 ties for bonefishing. Good luck smile

#81369 03/01/04 05:12 PM
Found it under 'AC for fishing snorkeling and fun' thread ...hope this helps you out smile

#81370 03/01/04 05:28 PM
Originally posted by C from UK:
We are coming to AC at the end of the year and my husband is about to start tying some flies for Bonefish, Permit and Tarpon. He would just like to know if it is necessary to add weed guards to them for fishing AC. He is fishing with Capt.Bicho for a few days but would like to know if flyfishing the cut area would be any good and what he would be likely to catch from the beach there as that is where we are staying. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.
We've done well using Crazy Charlies, mostly white and with flashabou material. Micro jigs, 1/60 onces, with white marabou feather materials,work out well. Chartreuse, yellow, and hot pink can hit too sometimes. Clousers, and deceivers are good too at times. Of course every fisherman or fly-casters always find their own flies. Very-best-Wishes, Mel S......

Mel Sinderman
#81371 03/01/04 08:34 PM
Actually, I'm not really sure about this one myself. I think what I'm going to do is add some simple monofilament guards in the shape of a V (40 lb test dia.)to act as a simple weed guard on about 25% of my Bonefish flies. Normally, I'd think it would be a problem if all your Charlies and Gotchas were tied with heavy lead eyes, as they will go deep into the Turtle grass, and fast too. However, since most people that I've talked to about AC and most articles that I've read have suggested light bead-chain, mono eye, or unweighted(because they're in thin water and spooky); I would assume that they're not going to go that deep into the grass to cause a problem. The other side of the coin though is that obviously there's a lot of grass near shore. From most of the article I've read, it is suggested that at least some of your flies are tied with weed guards. I'd actually like to hear someone else's opinion on this subject. I'm going to send my guide an e-mail and ask him what he thinks, as he ties his own flies for Bones. I'll post his reponse.

Angelo
#81372 03/02/04 04:18 PM
OP Offline
Thanks everybody for all the info -this is such a great message board - haven't found one like this anywhere else - can't wait to go to AC, everybody seems so friendly and helpful. Thanks again!

#81373 03/02/04 04:19 PM
OP Offline
Thanks everybody for all the info -this is such a great message board - haven't found one like this anywhere else - can't wait to go to AC, everybody seems so friendly and helpful. Thanks again!

#81374 03/02/04 04:22 PM
OP Offline
whoops, sorry, posted that twice. got to get used to this.

#81375 03/02/04 05:14 PM
Originally posted by C from UK:
where do you live in the UK ? About 6 years ago we traveled to Aviemore, Scotland. The flyfishing was incredible ! We never caught any Atlantic Salmon, but we caught some wonderful German Brown trout. You should do well in Belize, it is a beautiful part of the world. If you have some extra time, you may want to try fishing near Placentia. The permit fishing was great. best-wishes, mel

Mel Sinderman
#81376 03/02/04 07:07 PM
OP Offline
Hi Mel
We're from Hertfordshire - about 30 miles North of London - out in the countryside a bit. Thanks for the info about Placentia - shall look that up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.