Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know! #81422
03/02/04 04:22 PM
03/02/04 04:22 PM
Illinois
dscallah Offline

dscallah  Offline
There is a good website for prepping an underwater camera. Do a search for "canon bebit underwater camera" and you will find it. It walks you through the whole thing and with photos. I realize you do not have a Canon, but the instructions are the same. Use a credit card corner to remove the "O" ring, but be careful with that as well. Bebit recomends prepping in you room with the air conditioning on, for a dry climate to prevent condensation inside your housing.Have fun with your camera.

Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know! #81423
03/02/04 04:28 PM
03/02/04 04:28 PM
Tejas
Z
Zagnut Offline

Zagnut  Offline
Z
What you need is a Reefmaster! laugh

Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know! #81424
03/02/04 04:50 PM
03/02/04 04:50 PM
Nevada
BNBelizeSoon Offline OP

BNBelizeSoon  Offline OP
That's what I understand BUT, my Olympus was a Christmas present, so this is the only option I can work with now. Living in Nevada, we don't get a chance to do much diving...only vacation to clear, clean, warm, good visability water 1-2 weeks a year. So a camera that can stay on top or under the water is perfect for me. Also, I'm a newbie to underwater photog as you may have figured out...haha - so this will be perfect.. if I don't drown my poor camera...

Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know! #81425
03/02/04 05:15 PM
03/02/04 05:15 PM
Tejas
Z
Zagnut Offline

Zagnut  Offline
Z
I'm kidding laugh
I was just trying to see if I could ruffle ID's feathers a little.

so this will be perfect.. if I don't drown my poor camera...
I hear ya on this one...I just got a sony dsc-p10 digital camera. I bought it primarily for land use, but I'm considering getting the UW housing for it. With what I gave for it, I'd sure hate to ruin it by trying it out UW..I wonder if the warranty would cover that? wink

Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know! #81426
03/02/04 05:46 PM
03/02/04 05:46 PM
Austin, TX, USA
K
KWIBMF Offline
KWIBMF  Offline
K
I doubt this is true, and was probably one of those too many Belikin moments, but I seem to recall someone tellimg me that a flooded camera may be covered by home owners insurance. Anyone? Bueller?

Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know! #81427
03/02/04 10:16 PM
03/02/04 10:16 PM
Daytona Beach
Phoenix East Offline

Phoenix East  Offline
Flooding the camera is one thing, but losing all them precious shots that usually tend to be the "best ones" is worse than anything. Be careful, and never careless and youll be fine. Most camera floodings are caused by human error and not a man-defect.

Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know! #81428
03/03/04 01:02 AM
03/03/04 01:02 AM
Nevada
BNBelizeSoon Offline OP

BNBelizeSoon  Offline OP
You would have to have a special policy for your cameras. It is not a named peril (fire, theft, etc) under a homeowners policy. Bummer huh? My husband is an agent, maybe it would be wise for me to take out that coverage????

Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know! #81429
03/03/04 01:48 AM
03/03/04 01:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
There are policies to cover U/W cameras - they're not cheap but you'd be well advised to get one. I've lost several cameras to the sea over the years. If you have important photos on a memory card make sure to copy them to a laptop or memory device between dives - you never know which dive may be the camera's last! And have two or three spare batteries always charged, to allow for viewing your photos, uploading them (uses a lot of power), and then doing another dive sooner than a charger will have done its work.
As to the O-ring, best buy a couple while the housing is still current, because once the camera model changes (which happens several times a year nowadays, especially with digital) you may find they rapidly cease to be available. And never take the O-ring out unless it is damaged and will be replaced with a new one. Apart from the chance of damaging it you stretch it, and it becomes a progressively worse fit. Just clean it gently but thoroughly in situ with the barest smear of silicon grease, inspect it VERY carefully for any damage whatsoever, and close the lid. Do all this in a room with no draught, dust, water or A/C. Remember that a single hair or grain of sand or salt can cause a flood - total cleanliness is crucial. Never open a housing on a normal dive boat, however briefly, and keep the housing in a fresh water bucket on board when you're not diving with it. Get it into the bucket as soon as you get back on the boat and don't let salt water dry on it, as when the salt crystallises it damages the seal.
Don't keep the housing or camera in an A/C room as it's certain to produce condensation that may fog the lens, cause digital errors, or worse. And yes, it is a good idea to put freshly charged silica gel into the housing to absorb any moisture, especially in a place as humid as Belize.
Lastly, a coloured filter is a good idea if the housing will take it (some don't). Red for the water we have here, green for murky northern waters.
And Happy Snapping!

Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know! #81430
03/03/04 09:46 PM
03/03/04 09:46 PM
Daytona Beach
Phoenix East Offline

Phoenix East  Offline
......some of the clearest waters are north.

Re: A Camera Question - dangerous I know! #81431
03/04/04 04:27 PM
03/04/04 04:27 PM
Houston, TX, USA
charliec Offline

charliec  Offline
Originally posted by BNBelizeSoon:
I have purchased the housing for my Olympus C-750 for some underwater pictures. Now I need to know what other accessories I need: Do I need an extra O ring? Balance Weight? LCD Hood? Silica and Silicone grease? and what is a circular polarizer... As you can tell I'm very new to this and I was hoping for a little information from some of you great photogs from the board.
I don't know about the Olympus underwater housing but I have a Canon Digital Elph S200 and it's underwater case and you need to use anti-fog (same stuff as you put on diving masks) to keep the lense clear. If it's required for your case it probably comes with it.

You can see my pictures here on pages 3 and 6.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
May
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 1,772 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,347
Posts488,071
Members19,872
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.