Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
celldoc Offline OP
OP Offline
C
What a trip.

We just got back on Sat, and my wife is already planning the next trip. I didn't want to leave, again.

Carnaval was unbelivable. I was adopted by some of the kids in the park, who let me take some shots of them in exchange for a little painting. Later, some nice SanPedroans offered me a beer, for a little painting. By the time I got back to the room, I was a different color, to my sleeping wife's surprise. I encourage everyone to go and enjoy this next year. San Pedroans love it when outsiders participate in their unique celebration. I'll post some pics as soon as possible.

Thanks to everyone who suggested getting beverages sent to the room. Better than carrying a case on my shoulder this time.

This was our second trip and we brought a couple of friends who only have done the all inclusive gig on other islands, and they thouroghly enjoyed it as well.

Only one downside, minor as it was, was the number of times we were solicited (not for drugs) by children (all kids of "Edwardo" as I can tell) selling necklaces, and then raising money for a "soccer club". I have no problem with trying to make a buck, heck I am a merchant, but after the 6th or 7th time of being hit up in the hammock, I got a little peeved. Good news is, all you have to do is say "no thanks" and they would move on. The resorts also seemed to try to keep peddaling at a minimum. Not a big deal.

That being said, there should be no reservations by anyone on the safety or serenity of the island. Common sense is your best friend, and islanders generally look out for visitors.

I didn't think we could have more fun than last time, but we most certianly did!

Didn't see anyone at BC's on Sun, but realized I had no idea what anyone looked like. Oh well. So, I ate a bunch of chicken which was awesome!!!

Having met some ExPats, including TV Tom, all four of us are trying to figure out how long it will take us to follow suit and call AC home. Think Belize could use a cell phone repairman? Oh, to dream a little dream.

I'll post a more informative update, but for now, anyone going there should rest assured that there is no better place than AC for vacationing. Not too big, not too small, just right... And I haven't even talked about the fishies.

Missing it already....
Dan

Dan - read your "mini" trip report, and loved it! I'd really like to hear about the fishies, since that's mainly what me and my hubby are going down there for in June! laugh

thanks for sharing, sounded like a great time. The kids selling jewelry are only trying to make money to help out with the family finances. I know it gets annoying at times, and folks cannot buy from everybody who approaches them, but I hope folks do purchase a few things. The vendors who work the area around the chicken drop are very humorous in the marketing strategies. I suppose they wouldn't be selling, if their families didn't really need the money. Buy a few at least, if not for yourself, for folks back home. I bought ankle bracelets for a several of my co-workers. They were a big hit, and really didn't cost that much. They loved getting something made in Belize.

C
celldoc Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Oh, absolutely. We bought and traded with them many times. I know some folks don't want to be bothered and it was a definite increase from our last visit, so I thought all should know.

to be clear: They did not negatively impact the va-ca, and some of the guests actually had fun haggling with them (one guy at dinner over at Jerry's Crab Shack had about 20 kids around him and was having the best time). This was meant to be more of a heads up for people looking to avoid any beach vendors, which I have read several posts regarding this issue on this and other BBS.

Sorry, don't want to discredit the children, as I befriended several down there... which led to the painting.

d

Yes the beach vending has increased - especially since Hurricane Mitch, I've noticed.

J
J
Just got back last night., Yes there are people
on the beach selling things, but we did not find
it very excessive. I try to put myself in there place & it's just trying to make a living. The small kid's selling can be a bit much because you know there is an adult who takes most of the money
and probably gives them a small amount.I was approached only once about drugs & that was right
in front of the place we stayed on the beach. He
came up to on a bike & said " I have good ganga mon" No thanks said I. Later he was sound asleep
on a lounge chair where we sit. The resort notified the police and he was quickly carted away.

Great mini report!
Now wheres the rest? wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.