Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Hi all,
I've been lurking here for a few days and decided to jump in (you seem like a friendly AND patient group... smile ). After years of enjoying Cozumel I feel the need to try something new, so we're eyeballing Belize for June. We are looking for a laid back pace, sleepy but not asleep if you get my drift, no crowds, good-great snorkeling (preferably at the hotel or immediate area), good food, etc. I dive, but am pretty spoilt by having the dive sites 30 minutes from the hotel in Cozumel, so depending on the ease/accessibility, I would probably be content to snorkel.
Many have recommended Ambergris Caye, some have recommended Caye Calker and yesterday I heard for the first time about Placencia. Needless to say, I am experiencing a bit of sensory overload reading about the pros/cons, ins/outs, of these various locations. confused
Help? Would love to hear your recommendations for a first-timer! Much thanks...

C
C
get the lonely planet guide book for Belize. it is great- tells about all the places you mentioned. we just got back from our first trip and it was like having a bible. we stayed at Captain Morgan's Retreat on the north end and loved it. just couples, quiet but alive with a great bar, restaurant and all amenities including their own reef they created to snorkel. use of their kayak is complimentary and it is easy to get all places from there.if you take excursions book them yourself though they are expensive through CM's Caulker has a population of about 700 and is known at the backpackers island. we day tripped there and found it pretty neat, but don't think i could stay a week.

I don't know why you wouldn't enjoy the ease of diving off Ambergris Caye. The dive sites are only 5-20 minutes offshore. The best snorkeling is also done off a boat. There are a couple of places at the end of some docks, most notably Ramon's, that you can find some enjoyable snorkelling but other than that, from the resort(s) . . .nada.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

D
D
Panchita, I too have been to Cozumel twice and loved everything about it!!! Then last year went to San Pedro, and will not look back! The water is better, Fishing is better, Diving does not have the currents that Coz has and it is closer!! If you decied to go you will not regret it!! I am heading back in, lets See Like 8 Days. And I can not wait to get back to a laid back place and VERY friendly folks. If you want to get after it you can at night. We did!! It does make the next morning go a little slower though! But then again we all know that! Have a great trip!

P
OP Offline
P
Hey DoubleE!
Thanks so much for the response (thanks to everyone as a matter of fact) - especially about the diving. Where do you stay when you go? Who would you recommend as far as dive shops go? If you were to take a friend with you who was a snorkeler, would they find it easily accessible?
Questions, questions... wink

Originally posted by DoubleE:
Panchita, I too have been to Cozumel twice and loved everything about it!!! Then last year went to San Pedro, and will not look back! The water is better, Fishing is better, Diving does not have the currents that Coz has and it is closer!! If you decied to go you will not regret it!! I am heading back in, lets See Like 8 Days. And I can not wait to get back to a laid back place and VERY friendly folks. If you want to get after it you can at night. We did!! It does make the next morning go a little slower though! But then again we all know that! Have a great trip!

D
D
Last year we stayed at Bannana Beach, Great staff and rooms and very helpful. We used the staff there for our Diving needs. They helped us out last year with a snorkle/Diving trip and it was great to see each other on top and bottom of the water! B/B was a little ways from town, so this year We will be staying in town at Paradise Villas. So far as I can tell they are as good of a staff as B/B. We just wanted to stay in town this year. 5 more working days and we will be there on the beach with Belikin in hand!!!!

J
J
PANCHITA, HOLA, johnin denver here been to both ambergris and caulker and 2 totally different experiences. and have done both quite a few times and like both alot.. for agood time with a lot of island activity and yet still the quiet that settles in by 10 or so ambergris is great.. you can still find clubs rockin if you want to... if you want to have the sleepy island that really has little to do after dinner caulker is cool and i have spent a week there unwinding noproblem. on caulker i like BIG FISH DIVERS for my diving/snorkeling. on caulker i stayed sooper cheap the last time at the CONCH SHELL HOTEL, 400.00 for the week with 5 days 2 tank dives i paid for my bc and weights. but what a deal. you can stay at lilys for 65 to 75 a nite w/ fridge and i think set up a dive pack if you want. I use amigos del mar a great group and they treat you well with coffee in the am andjuice and treats at your interval back on shore. check em out you'll like em john

J
J
oops on ambergris is where the conch shell hotel is SORRY

Amigos del Mar is THE dive shop on AC, especially if you're going to one of the sites on the outer reef - The Blue Hole, Turniffe, etc - they have the best boat for longer trips. Have a good time!

Ditto on the Lonely Planet book. Good way to start research. This site has lots of info. Ask Marty for a copy of the Green Guide. Neat little book.

Going in May for 1st time & can't wait! Bought snorkel gear yesterday. Yeehaw!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.