Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
Heading back from the Portofino area we didn't make any more stops�and travelled a bit faster�anxious to have as much time in San Pedro as possible before we had to return our cart. We had to laugh at the 15 mph speed limit signs posted in town, since Alan was sure he was breaking the limit doing at least 20 mph, now that he had the hang of driving this thing! Hard to imagine speeding through this town�a golf cart is exactly the right mode of transport to experience the colourful street life.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f9c303f9490000003610[/img]

We found La Popular - the bakery near the cut - after we crossed back into San Pedro. Alan may not like too many gourmet foods, but he does love desserts/baking/bread things! We picked up a bag full of treats - jellyroll (which he declared the BEST he'd ever had), sweet buns, bread pudding and a couple of savory pastries - chicken filled turnovers and sausage in pastry. These were to put in our fridge for later.

It was a bit early for supper, but we had skipped lunch so decided to stop in town at the Stained Glass Pub for a meal. It was a real treat - just the kind of place Alan could enjoy with good old Gringo food on the menu. He ordered the chicken fingers and fries basket and said they were absolutely great! I had a fish dinner - grouper with fries instead of mashed - and some nice veggies. Excellent choice. We both ordered key lime pie for dessert and it was VERY good. Also had a bottled Starbuck's Frapuccino (couldn't believe I would find one of my favourite drinks on AC!) Highly recommend this restaurant.

Back on the street, we find that Carnival is in full swing with the groups of Comparsas dancers blocking the main streets and providing a great show. We took several pictures of them.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f9f939785e0000003610[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f9f90ef9590000003610[/img]

While Alan was stuck in the traffic and taking pictures, I wandered into a few shops and picked up postcards and some small craft gifts to take home. We finally got through the crowds and headed back to Banana Beach with a quick stop at the Supermarket for some Belize coffee. We were warned that there isn't a great variety of good coffee for sale here and we brought a pound of Dunkin' Donuts with us�but found that the rich, dark Belize coffee, while pretty expensive, wasn't too bad.

Back at Banana Beach, we turned in the cart and retired to our suite. Just spent the rest of the evening hanging out there. The sun and heat takes a lot out of you and we wanted to be well rested for our big fishing/snorkeling day tomorrow. You can probably tell we aren't nightlife people, but we do make the most of our days!! Besides, with a late afternoon view like this from our balcony...you almost don't even have to go anywhere to experience paradise!

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9e2b6d9d9e30000003610[/img]

To be continued�

Big Smile. mobunny cool

Pass over some of that great bread pudding.

Dare To Deviate
Ya just had to say that, didn't you laugh

Again, another great job. You have a talent to envy. Great pictures. We plan to follow in your path. We will be at theBB two weeks from today for our 1st sunrise. Thanks again, can't waite for more.

Mikell, your photos are superb. Marty needs to post your reports and pix. I loved seeing the dancers. Cannot wait until your next installment.

R
R
Hey Mikell-
Great pix, great story.
Going back to your trip past the cut, how far a ride was it to Mata Chica, if you didn't stop? Were there other hotels right near it? Which?

Please write more!

mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
it's really not that far from town...i'd guess maybe two miles? it was just nice a nice liesurely ride in the cart...lots to see along the way...we stopped at a few resorts...just drove in to take a quick look...and there are quite a few private properties and LOTS of new construction going on...work crews out that way too. many places to get onto the beach to just sit and relax.

we didn't really go into any resorts...passed captain morgan's, belizean shores, rendezvous (i think that's the one with the winery & cool "greenhouse" growing veggies), journey's end, sun diver...a couple of others...then mata chica and portofino...many very pretty properties and great beach views...it was just delightful. a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon's ride.

Have been devouring your reports today! Excellent job of writing & the pics are fantastic. We are going in May & this just makes me more anxious to get there. Thanks so much for sharing! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.