Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#81918 03/08/04 01:28 PM
OP Offline
Hello all,
We're staying at Caribe in May and got a link for an online grocery store that will deliver to your condo. Loved the idea of the convenience, but was wondering if the prices of things on the site are the norm, like US$19 for a case of soda, or is that just because it is a delivery service? What would a case cost in the store? We're trying to decide if its worth the expense - if its just a bit more expensive than the store, I would prefer to pay for the delivery, but I'm with a group watching $$, so wanted to get an idea to run by everyone.

Another question - I know everyone has their own preference for beer, but never having had a Belikin, what US beer could you compare it to? Or at least close to?

Thanks!

#81919 03/08/04 02:49 PM
I
I
Just got back Sat. Not sure about sodas. Typically, though, groceries were more expensive than in the U.S. I think it is to be expected. Anything that comes from the states has to be imported. Some friends we met while there spent a ridiculous sum of money on Budweiser their first day there, $600 BZ for 6 cases, which translates roughly to $300 U.S. or $50.00 U.S. per case. Belikin is still a little pricey by U.S. standards at upwards of $20 US per case, but the best deal on the island. The bars and restaurants don't charge much more for Belikin from $1.50 U.S. to $2.50 U.S each. The interesting was though, we went to 25+ different restaurants while there and never went higher than $60 US for three of to eat and drink, that is $20.00 U.S. each. Never had even a mediocre meal either. We would consider all the meals good to great. Belikin has an interesting taste. The company makes a few different kinds now, standard, premium, stout, and one I guess you could consider light. The standard Belikin is 4.5% alcohol I believe as well as the premium and the stout is either 5.5% or 6%, can't remember for sure. The standard tastes to me like a cross between a light beer and maybe Sam Adams lager. That is close as my taste buds can get you. I never acquired a taste for the premium, although a guy I was traveling with liked it and thought it tasted different than the standard. The lighter stuff is Lighthouse and tastes similar to Heineken. Stout is darker and can't really compare it to anything I have had before, maybe Sam Adams Cream Stout, but the Belikin nopt quite as dark. Hope this helps.....

#81920 03/08/04 05:31 PM
J
J
I agree with you Islandhopper,the restaurants are
very reasonable & it's all part of the fun of visiting new places, eat what the locals cook & the food is wonderful. I realize where you are staying is a good distance from town & you are on
a budget, but try a few of the great restaurants.
Our favorites were Cocina Caramba,Jam-Bel Jerk, Caliente,Reef Restaurant,all downtown & Sweet Basil,across the cut, a bit pricy but a wonderful
experience for the taste buds.Another good place
is Casa Picasso a little south of town. I would suggest if you are with a group to get a golf cart
& split the cost & you can take turns using it & you'll see much more of AC & San Pedro, which for us was the best part. Interacting with the locals is great. If you have a cart go to the supermarket
after you arrive & stock up.There is a good one next to the Belikin place.If you plan on doing your own cooking get fresh fish from local fisherman. I watched them fillet the days catch right in front of where we stayed at Aqua Marina Suites downtown. But,can you cook it like the locals????? If you don't get a cart take a taxi to the store & stock up.They cost next to nothing.

Have a ball

#81921 03/11/04 01:24 AM
Crusin, I agree with the posts above... lots of good restaurants on AC, including the one at Caribe Island! laugh
Do realize too that CI will also stock staples for you, we have had that done many times through them!
I suggest to you to e-mail them and maybe compare the fees. (?)
Have a wonderful trip!
Give a smooch to Vicki for me too will ya!?!

#81922 03/11/04 03:52 PM
Jack and Rose,
Thanks for the nod, we enjoyed having you, see ya next visit. (We'll have the Paella pan ready!)
Chris
Casa Picasso

Casa Picasso celebrated three yearsthis May, thanks to all of you!
Chris and Jen
#81923 03/11/04 04:56 PM
J
J
Your welcome Chris. Anybody headed to AC make sure you stop by Casa Picasso, great food ,great ambiance,great people. Can't ask for more than that.

Chris how you about you and Jennifer spending some time in Boston for a vacation and she can cook buckets of Paella right in my kitchen and I'll return the favor with a huge New England Lobster & Steamed Clam dinner!!!!
There is nothing from the sea that beats the New England Lobsters we have here. Well maybe Jennifers Shrimp Paella!!

Best Regards, Jack & Rose

#81924 03/15/04 05:10 PM
I
I
Oh Great, I thought I had hit most of the good places to eat. Paella????? How did I miss that. Where is Casa Picasso? I guess I will have to go back to AC again........

#81925 03/15/04 05:32 PM
J
J
Casa Picasso is a little south of town near the Tennis Club.

#81926 03/17/04 09:18 PM
S
S
Tigger,

To answer your original question the cost of soda is the same as what you would pay in one of the grocery stores.

Our delivery charges cover the cost of transportation and staff, the mark up on the items varies but it's less than you would pay for a concierge service in the US.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Simon...

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.