Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Portofino Returners? #82263
03/29/04 05:34 PM
03/29/04 05:34 PM
new york
coconuts Offline

coconuts  Offline
Mobunny

will be happy to check this out for you. Hopefully they do, I would love to dine on the pier. smile

I caaaannnnnn't wait to get there!

Nancy

looking forward to ac, coconuts
Re: Portofino Returners? #82264
03/29/04 06:21 PM
03/29/04 06:21 PM
mobile alabama
C
cathy and richard Offline

cathy and richard  Offline
C
my husband and I were the ones there the end of Feb. There was no pier dining AT ALL during this time and no wind AT ALL that night. It was actually the one and only hot day we had during our stay. All we were offered was the porch outside of the main dining room and that is were we sat. If anyone finds this to be different, I am very curious to know about it.

Re: Portofino Returners? #82265
04/12/04 08:49 AM
04/12/04 08:49 AM
Wisconsin
K
kmheath Offline

kmheath  Offline
K
Originally posted by JohnB:
Ok, Let me try again. For several months there has been about a dozen of you whom have mentioned going to Portofino. Looking for one of you who has actually stayed this year, interested in your feed back. I guess I don't have much of a choice we are going any way but nice to hear good and bad...Thanks

Getting Warmer
Hi...we stayed at Portofino 4/3-10. Accomodations are clean, nice, spacious. Really wish they would provide ice for rooms, though. The bar/waitstaff were wonderful...loved Mo, the boat driver...he's a sweetie and will do anything for you. Marcello (nite waitperson) was fabulous and made us feel at home. Manager (Shari) is not the friendliest person...sorry...but she made us feel like she was doing us a favor when she was asked anything. Sandy(owner) is a doll and very pleasant to deal with. We found the restaurant expensive but food was generally good to great. The seafood quesadillas were phenomenal! It's good they have a special each evening...otherwise the menu gets monotonous if you are there 7 days. We tried Mata Chica for dinner one nite...it was great. We wished we had tried Rendesvous...winery there. Didn't make it. There is great snorkeling at Mexico Rocks which we kayaked to. Used BAD for diving/snorkeling. They were good. In general there is no real swimming in the beach...too much seagrass. The boat ride to town can be long depending on how many stops they make. 15 min if no stops...up to 35-40 mins. We enjoyed our stay but will probably not go back. Feel we can get more for our money other places. Glad we tried it tho! cool cool

Re: Portofino Returners? #82266
04/12/04 11:09 AM
04/12/04 11:09 AM
Marlton,NJ
JohnB Offline OP

JohnB  Offline OP
Thanks so much, I have been waiting for a report..yours has been helpful. We have a chocolate too (Scout the wonder dog). I have heard the same thing from many people about the staff, everyone says the locals are sooo great. Much Thanks

Re: Portofino Returners? #82267
04/12/04 12:34 PM
04/12/04 12:34 PM
new york
coconuts Offline

coconuts  Offline
My feelings are exactly the same as kmHeath. Local staff was wonderful,very kind people and always willing to take the extra step. Shari on the other had not so willing (sorry but true) Sandra the owner was a delight. Don't want to repeat KM.
Overall had a wonderful time. Loved the town and the people. we did take the water ferry in every night.

Km, glad to hear you got home safely. It was great to meet you. please give our love to "the boys" they're great and we enjoyed having them as neighbors.

Nancy smile

looking forward to ac, coconuts
Re: Portofino Returners? #82268
04/12/04 05:20 PM
04/12/04 05:20 PM
Wisconsin
K
kmheath Offline

kmheath  Offline
K
Hi Nancy...glad to hear you made it home safely as well...the boys (and girls) haven't stopped talking about all of the great people we met...especially their "cabana neighbors". cool Give our best to Cliff and take care of yourselves!

Re: Portofino Returners? #82269
04/12/04 07:55 PM
04/12/04 07:55 PM
MA
K
kimandmike Offline

kimandmike  Offline
K
Hi Nancy,
Welcome back. It is difficult to explain about the swimming, especially those who love to swim and are escaping cold weather. But for anyone going, don't be worried, it just doesn't matter that you won't swim much off the beach. A magical tranquility takes over when you are on AC and you do what you have come to do and that is relax.

Re: Portofino Returners? #82270
04/13/04 07:57 AM
04/13/04 07:57 AM
Ambergris Caye (part time)
tincup Offline
tincup  Offline
Just curious, how important is a pool with an ocean view in deciding on accomodations? Would you be willing to pay more for a comparable room with a pool vs one with no pool (all other criteria being equal?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
San Pedro Fun Finder
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 98 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,555
Posts491,272
Members19,985
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.