Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
mikell Offline OP
OP Offline
It's still very dark outside when we wake up at 5. I think we just want to get an extra hour out of our last half day here. We watch another lovely sunrise from the balcony with the last of our Belizean coffee�and I add the last shot of coconut rum from the small bottle I bought at the little store across the street. It's a nice way to "kick-start" the day. I know it's going to be a tough one.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9ee487658000000005610[/img]

Still, we are feeling pretty good and very glad we took a few extra days of vacation this year. A week was NOT enough last year. Ten days is a bare minimum. Most of the packing is done - just a few last minute things to throw in the bags after breakfast.

Banana Beach's breakfast has been great all week. We've tried just about everything on their menu. Alan loves the banana pancakes the best. I decide to try eggs benedict today and they are wonderful. Out on the patio, we talk to a few people at nearby tables almost every day. Fellow vacationers are always eager to share information and tips about their travels - here and to other similar locations. We hear great things about Cozomel, Roatan, and other Caribbean islands. And everyone seems to agree that Ambergris Caye is among the best.

We take a few more pictures of the hotel. There are so many pretty locations around the property.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9ee3db399570000005610[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9ee4ed6d9930000005610[/img]

After making arrangements to have a taxi pick us up for the ride to the airport at 10:30, we get our bags ready and check under the bed and behind the bathroom door one last time. There's time to sit out in the sun for another hour and we are cherishing every minute of that. Our thoughts are inward as we soak it up and expand our memory cells to capacity. These sensations will be recalled later, and will hopefully help us face a few more weeks of winter once we get back home.

Soon, we can't put off the inevitable any longer. We fetch our bags from the room and head down to the front desk to check out. The staff here has been so very good to us. We tell them this and thank them again for their wonderful hospitality.

I didn't write anything else in my journal that day. It was all an anti-climax. Routine stuff like waiting for planes, buying rum, cigarettes and Marie Sharp preserves at the airport in Belize City, long silent flight home, arriving back late at night to another reality. You all know the drill.

It's been two weeks since we got back. Writing this report has been like extending the vacation a little longer and it's been fun and especially rewarding to read the comments from many of you. You are probably the only ones who would ever take the time to read all this. You all understand�or soon will�and can answer the question I began this report with�

Why Belize?

Check out our smiles on our last morning�

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9ee4e8158f40000005610[/img]

The End

you choked me up with that one... I had been re-checking the board anxiously awaiting the end of your trip reports and I think I can speak for all on this board that you should go back and start this all over. I know it ended too soon for you but your trip ended too soon for me too. frown

I have been awaiting the finale.
Thanks for all of the good reading.

It's a pleasure to see how one sees the island in comparison to some others.
But like you said, you spent time walking, riding and not spending all of the days in the spots that fog your memory, not that it isn't the way others should/shouldn't spend their time on vacations, it's their time to do as they wish.

Pics are great, bya the way laugh

It's been fun, keep your reminders of Ambergris Caye and Belize alive, we all do smile

We can't wait to live out the experiences that you so wonderfully describe. As beautiful as you make it seem in your writing...I'm sure it only touches on the true beauty of this place that we will soon see. We will be starting to live the dream in only 22 more days!! laugh Thanks for the overture....

Oh yeah, I understand.

Paradise.

Dare To Deviate
Simply Fabulous! I read each report and share all the same feelings as so many on this board do! Thank You!

The last day is so bittersweet, and you summed it up oh so well. It's been an enjoyable read. Thanks Mikell.

I can only remember one trip back that I didn't have tears in my eyes on the puddle jumper back to Belize City. That was my first trip. Despite the lack of tears, I've never been quite the same again. In fact, my life changed drastically, just so that I could go back and go back and go back and go back and go back and go back . . .

I've stayed longer every return trip than the trip before. (save one)

Thanks for your wonderful report and pictures.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. You did a great , great job. A week from today I'll, we, will be there. BC's for the bbq, and I'll think of you. Danny

J
J
Mikell, I'm sorry we missed seeing you in San Pedro, but I certainly have enjoyed reading your wonderful reports as well as looking at your great photographs.

Jean

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.