Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kcjd Offline OP
OP Offline
2-23-2004 Monday
7:00am, ready to fish again, this time for bone. Go to the dock, and the only guy to show up is looking for one fisherman. I think when we had them call and add one, they thought only one would be going. The boat was tiny and he only had two rods. I opted out and let the brothers go. They had a good time.
I chauffeured the group back to town, took back our empty cases/bottles, and bought more rum. We went to eat at the Stained Glass Pub at 10:30 am but they didn't open till 11:00. Guess what, they invited us in anyway! Very hospitable! We all had burgers and I think I ate everyone's tomato, very nice for February.

Had tried to leave the cart off at Moncho's and get a ride to the Pub, but they said “go ahead and just leave it up there”. Well that's what we did, left the keys with the owner and called them to tell them that's what we were doing. They had no problem with this, very accommodating! Later, I went to the Caye Mart to get my $50.00 USD? BZ? Refund that the gang had mentioned when we having so much trouble. Well as it turns out, it was actually 50 PERCENT!

We shopped a little more, then headed to the water taxi stand. We need to be back for a snorkel trip at 1:30 and got our wire crossed about the daytime departures. The next taxi would be in another hour. Guess what. They took us anyway! Very obliging.

We get ready to snorkel, all 15 of us, and start to get in the boat. It's getting in on the bow end and I hear this HUGE THUD, it's my wife, she's fallen and she can't get up! Somehow she managed to twist her ankle, and pull the 1st mate down on top of her.

No snorkel for us.

I help her poolside and begin the healing process. Ibupropen, ice, Long Island Tea…
We kept this routine the rest of the afternoon, getting her in and out of the hot tub, alternating it with ice, and Long Island Tea. I struck upp some good conversation with other guests and with Elvis the bartender. He had had someone teaching him chess, so I continued his lessons. Watch out AC, you'll soon have another Bobby Fischer on your hands.

The gang filtered back and we were soon off to Pauly's New York Style Pizza. The food took awhile, I think we overwhelmed them, but it was great. I posted earlier:
There is a Pauly's next door (sorta) to Belizean Shores. I ordered the white pizza as well. Being a midwesterner I've not had anything quite like it...Mmmmm. Garlic, Mozzarella, and Ricotta. I ate my leftovers for breakfast on our last day.

One more word, WOW! We also ordered cinnamon pizza for breakfast, Got back in time to see the last few minutes of KU lose to Texas.

BTW. My wife left her bag there and luckily Beth the owner/mngr? found it. Really nice girl with two adorable red headed daughters, (twins?)

2-24-2004 Tuesday
Getaway day. I'm up early so I take a few pictures of the sunrise, get back and my wife can't find her bag. Look at the pool bar and wait for Aimee to arrive, as she does every day, promptly at 8:00. She calls the owner Beth at Pauly's, and Primo. Beth say's she'll have look as does Primo. Luckily, Beth had found it. I went over to get it and had a pleasant conversation. She's a really nice girl with two adorable red headed daughters, (twins?) We get packed and at 10:15 we depart the beautiful Belizean Shores.

Epilogue
The details of our last day may, on the surface all sound mundane. Let me tell you they are anything but that. Everyone, to a person, worked his or her tail off for us, [except of course for Peter [:-)]. Seriously, without the outstanding efforts by Hoteliers, Bartenders, Publicans, Boat Captains, etc, etc, the trip might as well have been to any of a number of places closer to home, even in our home country. The point is AC is not like any other place because of the people.

And now, my thanks:
Graham “Primo” Primo – Sorry you had to stay
Aimee at the desk
Hatcher
Elvis
Staff at Laguna Grill
Beth at Pauly's – Good karma will come your way
Owner of the Stained Glass Pub
Captain Bicho, Bicho Jr.
Moncho's
Water Taxi
Maya Island Sky Cap – Thanks for taking me to S.P.R.C. School
The many members of the UBB, especially Marty, who without him, none of us would have met.

Words that are now part of my spellcheck – Belikin, Bicho, Fido's, Palapa, Paisano, and Mikell.

God Bless!

KCJD

R
R
nicely done, i hope to repeat most of your behavior, especially the trips to the beliken factory.

so.....how was belizean shores?? we will be there in november (i know it's a long way off)...and what would you have done differently to enhance what sounds like a perfect trip??

thanks for your input,

robert

hey john...

that was quite the trip report...even with all the things that went "wrong"...it was still a wonderful and most memorable holiday! only in a place as great at AC could that be true.

i also think it's because of the type of people you and your gang are...must be that midwestern attitude!!

thanks for the laughs...with you...not at you! smile

Thanks for the report and taking the time to share with us. Good job.

I just read all three installments, what a great read to enjoy with my morning coffee. I had to laugh a few times, so many misfires, and you still had yourself a great time. You all sound like a great group, and definitely have the right attitude for AC. All that trouble with gas carts, I wonder if that is usually the case? I have only rented electric in the past, but can see how the gas ones could let you explore farther without worrying about a dead battery. That would only work if the cart doesn't have problems.
Thanks for sharing your eventful adventure! smile

kcjd, GOOD JOB, great summation as well.

Spell Check...what a good idea !

You're wife needs another vacation, don't ya think smile
Thank you for sharing your adventures smile

Yes, it's the "People" that help you enjoy your time on AC.

Really enjoyed your reports!! Belizan Shores is great, my wife and I were there last October and are going back this June. The food at Laguana Grill is wonderful, Mark's a great cook and Graham really is a character and super guy! The whole staff is great, they really make your stay a great experience!!!!!

kcjd Offline OP
OP Offline
Robert K,

Belizean Shores was AWESOME! Quiet, beautiful pool, and a great staff.

Things I would do different...
Take more cash
R-E-L-A-X more (not get tight about the misfires) not that I got wound up, just, hey man, enjoy the ride.
Do more things in town. Belizean Shores, beautiful place that it is, is still quite a ways out. That is one of it greatest attributes. However, when you read the posts, getting to and from town can either be somewhat expensive, or an ordeal. I honestly think that if I ever get the chance to go back, I'll stay the first couple of days in town, and then finish at Belizean Shores.

I know that sounds like a hassle, but why not? Soak up the town life first, then really get away.

Oh yeah, 6 days is in no way enough time. For us it was actually only 4 as days 1 and 6 were travel days.

So.. More cash, more time, more adjustment, more San Pedro proper.

Enjoy! Either way, you will have a wonderful time no matter what your itinerary calls for.

KCJD

KCJD....Got a kick out of your report smile Just goes to show you that even when things go wrong...in Belize all ends up alright laugh Haven't even been there yet and after reading your trip report...I have no worries cool

KCJD laugh Thanks!

Goody cool you're gonna have a great trip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 294 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.