Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82640 03/20/04 11:56 PM
M
OP Offline
M
My first time to AC will be this October.

I have some questions about fishing. We will be staying at Ramonds Villiage. I'm going to bring my rod n'reel and plan on doing some fishing in the reef. Wading and off the dock. Does anyone know if fishing on the dock is prohibited and is it ok to wade in the reef???

What kind of fish do you catch wading? Is there a site that gives me bag limits, sizes, etc.

I'm not planning on hiring a guide as i'm just doing this to pass the time.

What lures are best during this time of the year, what # line is the best and I really don't want to stray far from the hotel to catch fish...

Anybody got any pointers????

thanks,

Littlejohn

#82641 03/21/04 10:38 AM
littlejohn at the end of your hotel dock and is great place to snorkel but I do not think they will let you fish as it is a wonderful snorkel spot full of fish ,and some rocks and coral to hold the fish ..you can fish after 4 pm on some other docks or very early in am .. there are some fish ,but the real deal is with a half day trip out to the reef area that produces great fishing . when you look at what you will spend at your first class hotel /food/drinks /air fare / the best value is a fishing charter and at a price of only $170 us half day thats 60% off the cost of a chrter in the states if you like fishing this is fun ,and fast pace action you will catch one after the other theywill give expert instruction and my guy will pamper you .I go each month to fish check out my fishing reports.... if you love to fish e mail my capt.bicho his site is fishingsanpedro.com check him out .sanpedro waters are a wonderful day out not going by boat to the fishing grounds is like going to italy and not eating pasta or drinking wine ..but if this is not you and you want to just hang out in the sun .you can catch some fish at some docks using sardines cut up or very small 1.0 size shinnylures and small bucktails butI think not a lot.. like I said go find someone and share/split a charter with you will love it .... tight lines to you and good fishing

Living The Dream Every Day!
#82642 03/21/04 11:01 AM
If you plan on using spinning tackle and going on your own, then this site will help you select tackle - http://destinationsbelize.com/gear.htm I think you'll find that most light to med freshwater gear will work. These are a few other sites where you can get more info on tackle and species.

http://www.angleradventures.com/blzwtb.html

http://www.belizeflatsfishing.com

http://www.prflyfishing.com/Belize/belizefishinggear.htm

I've posted this link before, but here it is again. http://globalflyfisher.com/reports/belize2002/index.php This article is mostly based off of guided trips, but also contains a review of many locations to fish on your own.

I have hired a guide myself for Tarpon, Bonefish and Permit on fly, but I'll also be fishing on my own as well. The issue with fishing from docks and piers has been covered on this board before. Most of those structures near town have restrictions on fishing(for safety reasons - swimmers). However, it appears that many of those north and south of town are OK to fish from. It wouldn't hurt to ask a local nearby. The reef is quite far from shore, so I don't think you'll be wading around out there and there's no reef close to shore(except artificial reefs created by resorts). Even if you could wade the reef, you shouldn't, since it's a reef, and you'll only wind up causing damage.

You'll have to consult others for limits and size. I intend on returning everything I catch, so I never bothered checking.

Angelo
#82643 03/21/04 11:13 AM
Good point Capt., I'm sure it would be easy to find others around your resort that would be willing to split the cost of a trip.

Angelo
#82644 03/21/04 03:08 PM
Angelo - thanks for posting these sites - great start for putting together equipment lists! Not to mention the fun of reading about actually using it! Sharon

#82645 03/21/04 05:28 PM
J
J
I will be there in October also and i might be interested in spliting a charter with you. I think that i'm scheduled there the first week in Oct. I had'nt planned on doing any fishing but you would'nt have to twist my arm very far. cool

#82646 03/22/04 10:43 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Which docks allow fishing near Ramons Villiage. If you fillet it, will the hotel kitchen cook what you catch?

For $170.00, how many people will that accompany?

I'm a part time fishing guide in the Dallas area..., this type fishing seems similar to ours....minus the SALT! Hey, did I read that there is speckled trout and redfish to be caught???....

#82647 03/22/04 10:55 AM
littlejohn for the $170 it is two peole it is only 15 $ us more per two add.people so $185 for four a great buy to the prices in the states like %50to60% more in the states .no red fish or trout SNAPPER /GROUPER ,JACKS /CUDA ETC..like I said go to the web site fishingsanpedro.com ,you will see what they catch ..also any hotel /place in town will cook your fish .and the docks near your hotel you would need to check with them ??? any questions you can call me toll free 1800 2317447 would love to talk fishing ..ask for jeff ,,tight lines to ya..

Living The Dream Every Day!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.