Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#82849 03/25/04 05:54 PM
D
DoubleE Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Angelo, I am not too good with a fly rod as I have only messed in small bever ponds for brook trout! Anyone spincast for these Silver Kings? I guess I do have all summer to practice up with my fly rod!

#82850 03/26/04 12:55 AM
DoubleE - we've fished tarpon in Costa Rica and Florida with spin tackle, and had a blast! We may try fly fishing for them this June in Belize for the first time, but we're not real good at fly fishing, so we're also bringing our spin tackle as "backup"! Tarpon are awesome fish to catch (actually, we've hooked more than we've actually caught, because they have really bony mouths and setting the hook is kind of a challenge, not to mention the fact that they tailwalk and do everything else you can think of to throw the hook...) Good luck whatever you fish with, and if you get any good leads on guides in Caulker, let us know at [email protected] or with a post on this board. wink Sharon

#82851 03/26/04 09:30 AM
Hey Sharon,

Where in Costa Rica? Quepos? Crocodile Bay? I hear there are monster Tarpon there.

I've considered bringing a medium spin outfit as well if I have the room. The last time I tried fly in salt was Andros. Casting a floating line with a light fly into the winds you see out on the Caribbean flats is akin to casting into a brick wall.

You're right about their mouths being like concrete. If you sharpen your hooks to a fine point, they'll usually bend at the tip(at least on larger Tarpon) and won't stick so the point should be more of a spade, short, and sharpened on three sides. You have to set the hook like 3 times on these puppies to get it to stick.

The Permit should be easier on spin and with live bait. In Andros, they would use live shrimp retrieved in bursts and left to sink. Not sure what the preferred bait for Permit would be here, except for the obvious small crab.

Angelo
#82852 03/26/04 01:15 PM
There's something I forgot to mention. I think it was a gentleman from Turneffe Flats that I met at a fly show in N.J. a few months back that told me to make sure that I avoid the full moon because the Tarpon will feed at night on a full moon and lay up in deeper water during the day.

Angelo
#82853 03/27/04 01:04 AM
Angelo -we fished Tarpon out of Tortuguero on the northeast coast (caribbean side) of Costa Rica. The best fishing for tarpon there was at the mouth of the tortuguero river, kind of in the "surf" - really spooky fishing since we were in a skiff anchored in the surf! caught some really big tarpon, though! Thanks for the info re: permit - and the tip re: avoiding full moons; we have the same problem here on the west coast with a lot of our saltwater species. Re: setting hooks on tarpon - I can still hear my husband hollering "hit it again!" the first time I (almost) hooked a tarpon...Good luck with your "grand slam" - we'd feel pretty lucky if we had even a "grand slamette" since it's our first time going after permit and bones. wink Don't forget to post your trip report - I'll definitely be looking forward to it!

#82854 03/27/04 08:47 AM
R
R
Angelo---
great. i'm fishing with severo on the fifth, the full moon. Oh well.
Good luck with the grand slam. Sounds like you put a lot of planning into it, you may have a good shot at it.

#82855 03/27/04 10:38 AM
Raskage,

Regardless of the lunar influence, and as with most species, they should still strike out of aggression or opportunity, even if they've fed the night before. I believe he told me the reason they would be more difficult is due more to the fact that they may not be actively hunting, in which case they may move into deeper water, which is difficult to present a fly to. They will probably still feed, but they probably won't go out of their way to move into shallow water to get to their food. It might be a good idea to bring an intermediate sinking line if one is fly fishing for them under these conditions or bring a spincast outfit just in case.

As far as the Grand Slam goes, I'm not betting on it, but am definitely going to make an effort. Permit are extremely difficult fish to fool with a fly. I'm just going to lay out a good game plan with my guide to concentrate on Tarpon and Bones, but will definitely be ready for Permit if the opportunity presents itself and will probably spend some time with them exclusively, but not a lot.

All three of these fish are usually located in different areas, so you should have a plan on how to best distribute the time spent with each species. It's also a good idea to discuss "Plan B" fish with the guide every time you go out, just in case your primary target doesn't pan out. For instance, if you're near tidal channels looking for Permit and deep Tarpon that don't pan out, you can usually switch to Jacks or even cudas, which are excellent fish. Telling your guide this before you set out for the day will allow him to position you optimally.

I'd personally be just as happy with Plan B fish if things don't go well. It's like anything else - make the best of whatever the situation is and try to have fun.

Angelo
#82856 03/27/04 12:24 PM
R
R
i personally just plan to have fun. Bones are a given, i'd love to get a tarpon, and permit are the icing on the cake.
I never got around to getting a good tarpon line for my 10wt, so i have the 550 grain wet tip i use for king salmon on it.
Which will probably work out for the best.

Well, i need to go get married, so i can go on this great honeymoon. Send you some pix of the fishing!

#82857 03/27/04 01:45 PM
Raskage,

Didn't know you were getting married - congrats!
Man, if you're getting married to a woman that lets you fish on your honeymoon, you'll have a storybook marriage. wink Any single sisters?

Angelo
#82858 03/28/04 06:24 PM
R
R
the deed is done.
notice, we're staying 10 days, and i only get to fish one. she spends the day at the spa.

Can't complain, Julia accepts that she is an alaskan fishing widow, and wiil not see me much between June and October. If only my boss felt the same way.....
well, we leave in the am, loving this warm Philly weather!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.