Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#84553 04/16/04 01:24 PM
OP Offline
Hey everyone. We are planning to go to one of the Myan Ruin sites during our approaching trip, but have heard alot of two sided posts on here and from other people I know. Many people tell me to go to the ruins because it is simply amazing. Others tell me that it is just alot of traveling, a waste of a full day away from AC, and once you get there its like "ok we are here now lets go back." I just wanted some input for myself, and a suggestion on what the most impressive site is. I cant wait!! Thanks so much!

#84554 04/16/04 02:00 PM
Just a personal opinion: I say if you have never seen a ruin - by all means take the opportunity to see it. If you have seen ruins before and your time is limited - then dont go.

But it is an amazing thing to see at least once. eek

#84555 04/16/04 04:51 PM
Having been to several, if you are going for the day from AC, my suggestion would be to hit Lamanai. You will get more of an "experience' than Altun Ha (which in itself is fine, just a more manicured parklike feel to it) and the jungle river portions of the trip are way cool too. Who to tour with? Hands down, IMHO, Daniel Nunez, Tanisha Tours.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#84556 04/16/04 06:16 PM
I agree klc... Altun Ha is interesting, but very small. Lamanai is well worth the trip. Also having an interest in the Mayans can also be helpful... no matter where you go.

#84557 04/17/04 09:25 AM
B
B
JW..to not get away from AC for a day or so would be a waste of a trip to Belize. Ambergris Caye is dessert and the mainland is the meat and potato's of a wonderful country and its diverse people. My favorite ruin is Cahal Pech which overlooks the beauty of San Ignacio and the Cayo district. This is a hands on ruin with rooms, tunnels and maze like stairs to explore. From AC,Fly to Municipal airport, take a taxi to the bus station and $4 later and 75 miles of scenery and people watching you are there. Take a back pack and spend the day and stay overnight at the San Ignacio hotel or at Caesar's Place and enjoy. I promise you won't be disapointed, plus you'll feel like Indiana Jones when you return home with the amazing pictures and memories...............

#84558 04/17/04 10:29 AM
B
B
I went without my wife and that was a good split. I got to tell her about my terrific trip to Lamaini with Daniel from Tanisa tours and she got a day WITHOUT ME. 12 hours or so without running water [I'll spare you the Maalox Moment episode]. Then we swapped stories. Try that.

First post is correct--If you've never been DEFINITELY GO, especially if you're a birder as you will add seveal to your life list, including Jesus birds and perhaps an Irubu Stork.

#84559 04/18/04 10:08 PM
You'll need a couple of days, but Tikal in Guatemala is awesome. AC is fabulous, but it's pretty up to date. Tikal and its surrounding area is a step back in time.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.