Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Angelo Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm still tired from the return trip and haven't had a chance to get everything together, but here's a very brief starter. You'll have to be patient for pics and full report (have quite a few pics).

The grand slam didn't pan out, but I got a lot of decent Bonefish, especially my last day, when I really started to get in the groove. On the last day we hit a few really big Bonefish that peeled 3/4 of my backing off. I made a lot of mistakes (lining, shooting short, stepping on the fly line while on the casting deck, etc.) and once again underestimated the wind, but on the last day, everything came together and I really started clicking on the Bones towards the end of my trip, finding them sometimes even before the guide did. Severo put me on about 60 Tarpon at the Savannah flats, but came up empty. First half of the day we threw every color at them right across their faces and they just ignored it. The few that I did get follows on were on Orange Grizzly Tarpon 3/0, but I either stripped too slow, too fast, or flat out spooked them trying to get up a second cast, and got a few jumped the last day. The Savannah flats are unbelievably beautiful. Puffy white clouds and fifteen shades of Turquoise, just like that wallpaper I had, and you don't see another person all day long.

We did run into a patrolling school of Permit at Congrejo flats last day, but I undershot them and spooked them trying to pick the line up for a second cast - boom, gone like lightning.

Severo is everything I thought he'd be. The guy has super-human eyes for spotting flats fish and is swift to position his boat (Rosangela) quickly and quietly. Although I messed up a lot, I can't tell you how happy I was that he put me on so many fish. He's a little quiet, but a very nice person and excellent with his knowledge of the area, the species, and gear.

Got a decent cuda wading at the end of my last day and I also sunk into the flats up to my waist once - didn't think I was going to get out, but managed to.

Met Goody, husband Tom, and their kids. Tom and I had a lot of fun fishing and talking every morning, and night by the docks. We managed to attract a croc while casting near the water tower.

Met Taz from Sundiver at a wedding they did at Fido's. I originally thought it was Cannibal's, but Goody later said it was too small to host a wedding there so I must have gotten so smashed with Taz and her friends that I didn't remember where we were.

Met Peter and Charlie on my last night along with (I think Steve), the new owner of Coconet, and the owners of Portofino. Had a blast drinking and talking to them all night long.

Jim at Blue Hole Dive certified me. I'm now totally addicted to diving.

Stopped and talked to locals everywhere. Very colorful people.

Will post the pics and full report periodically.

Angelo
Welcome back...Angelo laugh laugh It was great meeting you. Tom envy's you having that extra day with Severo and discovering the Savannah flats. I'm glad you were there the same time as us so he could have a fishing buddy and so he had someone to share his fishing tales with. Hope you got a pic of the Savannah flats so we can put it on our PC screen & dream of the next time we go back!!!...Goody wink

R
R
Sounds great Angelo! Severo was great, i only wish i was better prepared. Damn cuda sliced my flyline on the second cast!
Man can he see fish!

Angelo Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry I didn't get to spend as much time with you and your wonderful kids as I did with Tom, but it was very cool meeting you as well.

Hopefully I'll stop up and pay you all a visit you all in the fall. Tom and I were tossing around ideas about fly fishing Long Island's Montauk point in the early fall (hopefully Indian summer) and maybe the Susky Flats in Maryland for Striped Bass.

Flight back was murder. Left Tropic Air at 11AM and didn't get back home until 3AM in the morning Monday - long story.

Angelo
No problem Angelo...I really understood you guys needing your guy time wink And it's not necessary to apologize for not spending more time with me & the kids...you kept Tom out of my hair so I could do some quiet reading or sleep in. Besides...you were there to make sure the crocs didn't get him. Rest up & hurry up with more info & pics...I certainly hope you have better luck with them than me laugh laugh

Angelo, sorry we didn't meet you but I did get a good pic of you and Tom on the pier one morning, hopefully i can get my puter fixed tomorrow so I can post some of my pics.
I hear you about the long ride home, we left at 10AM on Tropic and FINALLY got home at around 7AM the next morning. The only happy one in our family was the dog, the rest of us just wanted to be back on AC....

angelo...

great to read your first report...sounds like you caught an eye-full and soul-full of atmosphere...even if you didn't get the grandslam! can hear the excitement in your words!

just being out in those turquoise waters feeling the warmth...you gotta love it!

anxious to read more and see the pics! thanks for adding your post trip story!

Angelo Offline OP
OP Offline
Pics coming soon, just a few more days to format and categorize them. I'm also waiting on the Kodak Sea Processing from my local scuba center, which should be later this week. I should have had them digitize them instead of print them, but I guess I'll just have to scan those when I get them.

I have some killer sunset shots. Be back soon. I've got a lot of work to catch up on so I won't be here often until later this week.

Angelo
Angelo Offline OP
OP Offline
BnB, Raskage, Mikell

I'm not ignoring you guys, I just have a lot to get done. I've already gone through some of your reports and look forward to getting the rest in.

BnB,

The faces kind of look familiar. I probably walked right by you guys many times and didn't even know it was you. I should have gotten more information before I left.

Raskage,

Did you have a green loop connector on that line the cuda snapped at? Tom was telling me that he had to change his green loop connector to clear because the cuda kept mistaken it for needlefish.

Mikell,

Thanks. Like I was telling Goody earlier; it's going to be hard to match the reports, as they just keep getting better and better.

Angelo
I saw you from afar and heard about your fishing & scuba experiences from goody, sorry we didn't meet but I did get this photo of you and Tom on the pier as we were waiting for our dive boat...
[Linked Image]
Sorry we missed you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.