Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#85152 04/24/04 02:41 AM
OP Offline
I happened to visit the General Chat board (a first) and found a post about an increase in the departure tax from $20 to $35, effective 4/1/04. Can anyone confirm this? I have searched the web and have been unable to verify that info. Anyone who returned after 4/1 should have been affected by the new tax. That really adds up! Thanks! confused

scuby, Is that 35 US?

Yes, due to a new fee imposed by the airport, the total is now US$35, one of the highest exit taxes in the region.

Here is the update we posted a few weeks ago in the Belize News section of our Web site:

>>BELIZE HITS TOURISTS WITH NEW FEES AND TAXES Tourism is booming in Belize, so it's not surprise the Belize government has levied new and increased fees and taxes on tourists.

International Airport Departure Tax & Fees: A new "Airport Fee" of US$15 on non-citizens increases the total exit fee/tax for visitors from US$20 to US$35, as of April 1, 2004. Belize's exit fee/tax package is now the highest in Central America. Some airlines now include the exit charges in the price of airlines tickets.

Hotel Room Tax: 9%, up from 7%, effective mid-2005

National Sales Tax on Most Items: 9%, up from 8%

Archeological Fees: Fees increased to US$5 at most sites, including Xunantunich, Altun Ha, and Cahal Pech, up from US$2.50; at Caracol, fee is US$7.50. Effective April 1, 2004

Marine Park Fees: New fees for anglers, snorkelers or divers in protected parks will increase to US$10 to $15 per person per day, depending on the reserve, effective November 1, 2004.

Land Border Exit Fee: US$18.75, up from US$13.75, now in effect.

There is some good news, though. Visitors going to Mexico from Corozal for less than seven days will not be charged the approximately US$21 entrance fee by the Mexican government.

<<

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
J
J
I guess I didn't read this very close when it was first posted. Does this mean if you're exiting into Mexico by taxi/bus that the fee hasn't increased? Jean

Lan & all...We just returned 4/17/04 and our departure tax was $15US/person. We were departing with BnBelize & she was charged the $35US/person. Seems we lucked out or that not all airport personel are aware of this fee change. By the way...both of us were flying American, Belize it or not....Goody wink

OP Offline
Lan... Thanks for posting that info here. I haven't gotten around to looking thru all the pages on this site because there is so much to read on this board!

And Goody... it seems that it's the luck of the draw as to whether you'll be charged a little or a lot! I guess sometimes it's hidden in the taxes you have already paid in your airfare, so check those tickets closely, you could be double taxed! I guess I'll just have to sock away another $70 so we can get home... or not, and stay! laugh

And to JohnB... yes... that's US dollars... will that change your mind on buying drinks for boarders? laugh

Yeah, a lot of people now pay the exit tax as part of their airfare, and since the new tax was just instituted it may be that some people are just paying the US$15 additional tax. That's probably what happened with goody2shuz -- Us$20 tax was paid with the original airfare and the US$15 was an add-on.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
The good part is that if you use AMEX travelers cheques, they give you back your change in US. They apparently don't accept credit cards, so it's either cash (BZE, US, or the travelers cheques). For me, the AMEX cheques worked out well, as I used my last one on the departure.

Save some for Jet's though.

Angelo
Hubby said that he wants to spend allllll the $$$$$ so they won't let us out of the country when we can't pay the "get-out-of-the-country-tax" Told him that it was easy for him to say, since I'll be the one washing all the dishes!

eek

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
P
P
Out of interest what happens if you do not have the cash or TC's left. Anyone with any experience - is there Internet access in Hattieville?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.