Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rizla Offline OP
OP Offline
R
...I am considering a trip to Ambergris Caye. I am so new to this idea that I can't help pronounce KAY and not KEY. I have read the board (made searches in attempt to ask what has been asked too many times before) and read my Lonely Planet book. I would be traveling alone (37 year old female) and from what I've read this isn't uncommon or a problem. Most of my trips to Negril have been alone and common sense prevails.

I've narrowed my hotel choices down to Coconuts, Banana Beach, and Mayan Princess. I do consider Ramon's from time to time. My budget is $100 per night, preferably lower.

My biggest concern is that I am not into diving or snorkeling. It seems the area clears out for excursions during the day. I am a teacher and this trip will be mid-August. It is my treat for getting through summer school and a break before the school year starts, so I tend to do a whole heap a nuttin'. I read, write, walk, swim, eat, like to meet other tourists and locals, and play dominoes in the shade. I can't be in the sun for tanning because I have Vitiligo. I don't want a hotel where I feel awkward when I eat alone. Some places have more couples and families than others. I also don't like to feel too isolated, especially since most of the tourists will be taking the first boat out to sea each morning. It makes me think I should be closer to the town of SP. I do like to treat myself to certain things: AC, cable TV, 'fridge or kitchen, sea view, and, most importantly, a great verandah!

I hope you can help point me in the right direction... I tried to give you a lot of info. about me since I've been on a regular on a Negril message board (I know Mikell from there) and have seen posts where people come asking, "Where is the best place to stay on the beach?" Many factors play into this choice.

One last note: My computer is in the shop so I may not be able to respond right away.

~ riz

I think the Mayan Princess may fit your needs best. On the beach, in town, kitchenette, A/C, TV, GREAT balcony overlooking the sea & $90/nt single (+17% tax). Great location for people/fishermen/diver watching. Walking distance to everything. Don't worry about being isolated, many tourists go off for the days but there are plenty of locals around and plenty of things to kepp you busy or space to do nothing at all. GO! You will love it. Like Negril 20 years ago.

Email me if you want any other ideas or if you have questions, need help, etc.

HI RIZ!!

just got your email too...and sent a reply....so nice to hear from you.

barbara knows a lot about AC and she'll help point you in the right direction. altho we loved Banana Beach...my advice to you would be to stay close to town too. BB was mostly couples and families.

you'll find a really great crowd at ramon's! it might be perfect for you too. the location is one of the best...great beachfront...wonderful pier for swimming...fabulous pool and bar area...and i think a lot of young friendly people stay there. if you can swing a beachfront room with balcony...you will love it there. i would stay there myself after walking around there a few times on our trip. we spent a lot of time on their pier too.

barbara's right...it's uncrowded during the day...but not deserted...plenty of folks like you who are just into hanging out. and everyone is so friendly there...dare i say...even MORE friendly than in negril!!

email me your phone number and i'll call you for a chat...i have tons of FREE unused cell phone minutes for calls in the US...would love to answer all your questions...

:)mikell

Hi Riz: I too am traveling to SP by my lonesome at the end of May and again in September. No need to be worried about traveling alone. I was there in March with my sister and niece and half of the time I was out about town alone. Day and night. I felt SP was totally safe and never once did I feel differently. The locals are all very friendly and will help you out with anything you need. The tourists are just as friendly. And why not..we are all there to have a nice, relaxing time. I am staying at the Exotic Caye Beach Resort / Playador. It is close to town. I don't know much about the other resorts but these "boarders" certainly have a ton of experience and will not steer you wrong. You will definitely enjoy SP. I know I do. I've gotten the SP Bug. Went in March of this year, going back again in May for a long Memorial Week-end and then 8 days in September. I can't get enough!!!!

In any event, when you return make sure to post your trip report. We all love to hear about eachothers trips. We all get to live vicariously through the ones that return!!

Riz, above gave you good info on places to stay.
Don't worry about having people to talk with, many are around, everyone takes a day off to just relax, even the divers snorkelers fishing and tours tourists. Many tourists one or the other does not do the water stuff, so they are on land looking to strike up a chat party.

Take the water taxi to Caye Caulker one day, visit the shops and have lunch on Caulker.

Eating alone, probably won't happen much, you will be invited to join a group, just wear your smile and friendly face. Lunch alone would never be difficult, many eat lunch alone, due to their partners being out on the water stuff.
Yes the locals will greet you, and make you feel comfortable.

Cannibals, Caliente's and Mango in town, you can sit facing the beach and water you will recognize people walking by, very enjoyable alone, with your pleasure thoughts, of how great to be on Ambergris.

Nice walk from Mayan Princess to Ramon's, to enjoy Ramon's pier, and beach for swimming.

Question, since you do swim, may I ask why you do not snorkel?

Dare To Deviate
S
S
I have a little question for you since I have vitiligo too. I put waterproof 50 sunblock on in the water and on the beach. Is there something I don't know about going in the sun I should be concerned about?

By the way Mikell, that is awfully nice of you to offer to call and fill her in. You are always so helpful to everyone. By the way, do you scrapbook? Your photography is excellent and I can tell you have a good eye for creativity. You'd probably love it and I wouldn't be surprised if you already did it!! I teach scrapbooking for fun so I just could resist having seen what you do!

tami
suntam...

have to admit...i'd never even heard of "scrapbooking"...just did a quick google and figured out what you're talking about!! i do, however, create all kinds of things with my digital photos...especially greeting cards...they are always a big hit with family and friends. and i do print out pages of photos with borders & backgrounds for my personal album...so i guess it's similar to what "scrapbookers" do!!

and...thanks for the compliments! smile

R
rizla Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you all for your help. I know I will have more questions! I promise to write a trip report. I will have to keep my posts short since my home pc is in the shop and my access is limited.

Mikell - I would love to talk on the phone about this, thank you. Please email me your phone # and I will call when I get my computer back. I can't get to my hotmail account from work.

Chloe - I need to try snorkeling again. I have always had a hard time getting the hang of it... water in my mask, breathing through the snorkel, and never had the joy of seeing fish. I will try again. I'd be tempted to bring my own equipment.

sumtam - My Vitiligo broke through only three years ago so it is relatively new to me. My sister has had a much worse case for many years and she is more comfortable being in the sun with sunblock. My first trip to Jamaica with it I was overly cautious -- covered in gauze clothing like a leper. Each trip I find more and more freedom, but my days of tanning are over. As long as the areas that have lost pigment are protected, you're fine. If they get red/burnt is when you need to be concerned since you have ZERO protection from sun cancer. Mine is becoming less noticeable since I don't tan and there isn't that stark contrast. I was shocked to get it in my early 30's since my sister's came out when she was about 8 or so. It scared me because I was sure it would spread, but it didn't. I now look at it as a blessing in disguise since it put an INSTANT HALT to my obsession with getting a deep, dark, savage tan.

ok... back to my AC questions... smile

Does Ramon's have TVs? I know, I know, I don't need it, but I like it at night before I go to sleep.

Riz, take your snorkeling equipment. You can snorkel under Ramon's pier, they installed an article reef, you will see many colorful fish.

Key...tighten that mask strap, till it hurts almost...lol

Oh sure Ramon's has TV. TV on Ambergris is great, many channels.

Dare To Deviate
No TV in your room at Ramon's. They do have one at the bar though. mobunny

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.