Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Ok got the fingers warmed up, and as much as I wanna skip around, will take it day by day. I may be a gal of few words, but I sure have lots of sentences!

First 24 hours:

Not much excitement on the plane ride over, unless you want to count the flight attendant who threatened to lock me in the restroom if I asked "are we there yet" one more time.

Taxi took us from the airport to the dock where the hotel picked us up. Boat ride to Belizean Shores was WONDERFUL! Sky was blue, water was green and who cared that the wind wanted me to have a new "do" �. we were on vacation!

Our luggage was taken to our room by wheelbarrow (a first for me but sure made since as we were the first unit closet to the water, 2nd level - great view.)

I was able to check the "What you most do while on Ambergris Caye" box that said "buy a piece of jewelry from a locale". A friendly lad came around selling ankle bracelets, my first purchase on arrival, a true sign I was getting into San Pedro mode.

We strolled the beach south for a bit, just to smell the ocean air and to get a lay of the land. Once back in our room, we settled in and claimed closet and dresser space. Note on room: Very spacious, very clean, nice kitchen area, bathtub had whirlpool jets (nice touch and quite deep) and shower had LOTS of water pressure. Even after a week, I can't think of anything about the suite that I didn't like. We found it to be just as advertised. The double doors to the balcony were wonderful for letting in the ocean breezes and for standing in the doorway and blow drying the hair! (might have even been able to get a kite up ifin I had one)

Suppertime came early as my stomach was still on Ohio time. We decided to eat at the hotel. The Laguna Grill is at the back of the complex, but is up on the 3rd floor, and you can see above the trees. They have a beautiful view of the water, a wonderful breeze and a friendly wait staff. We ate a couple of meals there during our stay. Not outstanding, but not bad either. The price was what you'd expect to pay at most "on site restaurants" - I just figured it in as the cost of the view. A plus was that they had a computer in the grille. As tempting as it was, only checked email once, half way through the week (basically to delete all the bazillion spasm that fill my inbox) and Bryan had to check on a weeding he was scheduled to perform. (6$BZ for 15 minute minimum)

A storm came in the first night, and we lost power around 7:15 until after 10:00. Take extra batteries and candles for those "just in case times" - plus candles are always a nice touch. Stood on the balcony and watched it roll in - awesome!

Slept like a baby, wide awake at 5:30 (apparently still on Ohio time). Clouds were trying to lift to our west. We had a western sky view from our balcony as well as full ocean view.

Had our morning coffee and light breakfast on the balcony. This became a daily ritual for us, a truly wonderful way to start the day. Each morning we saw pelicans flying by and watched numerous workers arriving by ferry, or going further north. Was nice being in time with the early morning flow of locals as they began their work day. Mornings were also spent taking notes from the day before - crucial so as not to forget anything.

The first morning we decided to walk further south down the beach, gave us a chance to observe some of the islands wildlife. A few sand crabs, lizards watching us - watching them, had numerous birds serenading us, etc etc etc.

We walked past Sweet Basil and just knew we wanted to eat there during our stay. (If you're going, they're closed on Mondays.) Well, before ya know it, we found ourselves at the cut. Figured we'd go the rest of the way into San Pedro at that point and ride the Island Ferry back. Had to wait one turn for the hand ferry - and gotta say folks, there was a dude in a golf cart that given the right clientele, could have sold "sniffs of weed" that was coming off his clothes. We didn't inhale - honest!

Ended up at La Popular Bakery (I was still on Ohio time) and the gnawing action in my stomach was telling me it was "lunchtime". We bought many, many, many pastries (as in 12 total and some pita bread) and it came to less then $7.00US. Just one of the best deals on the Island - GREAT tasting and more then reasonably priced.

Walked around town and things that come to mind �.
HIV/Aids awareness signs (even paradise isn't immune)
Didn't mind not having a car at all, in fact, relished it
REALLY liked the whole "t shirt, short, flip-flop" environment
Didn't see any diapers hanging on clothes lines (disposal diapers aren't cheap - do babies go "a la natural" ?
Clothes in the shops were expensive, but there were bargains if you looked carefully
Tshirts could be bought on sale for $5US

Ate lunch at Los Cocos, a small local eatery, sand floor and plastic table and chairs. I had baked chicken - great seasoning and huge servings. Bryan had pork - with rice and beans. On a scale from 1-10, we both gave it a 7. Leaned my first lesson about how the local folk want to please. I had a salad and when I was asked what kind of dressing I wanted, I said Ranch. A few minutes later Bryan sees a young gal from the kitchen cross the street to the market, and then returned carrying a bottle of Ranch Dressing. Hmmm � makes ya wonder about the last time you ate at a place in the states and asked for something that they didn't have � "sorry about you're luck" comes to mind.

Back to the dock, back to the hotel, to settle in for a quiet night "at home".

Off to Lamanai tomorrow at 6:45 sharp - let the adventures begin!

WebShots

We took both a digital camera and a regular 35MM zoom, just in case one didn't work. The rest on the digital start with Thursday, so ya gotta wait. We don't get the others back until this weekend.
Belizean Shores was a perfect location for us, at least this time. Far enough out for some serious R&R, but just a short boat ride in to be in the center of everything. We rented a gulf cart for 2 days (really rough roads the closer you got to the hotel, but figured it had to have bounced a few pounds off!) Also walked in once, a "short 3 � miles" but then again we weren't in any hurry, as we had no place we had to be.

Hey Capt Jeff �. Hiya! Got a whole piece about how you helped us - complete with pics! I just need to find more free time and type faster to get to Monday!

laugh

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
AWTY...You're back...and finally got there!!! I really missed you!! Welcome back....your pics are awesome!!! I really enjoyed your firstday..we took our golf carts up north from Banana Beach and up past Belizean Shores!!! Looks like a great place and the gardens, how beautiful.

Haven't been checking the board as often as I'd like...been preparing for surgery on 5/10. Will be in hospital for 5-10 days, with pics of our Easter sunrise and other places we visited in Paradise hung all around my room. Please tell Bryan to put in a good word for me with the guy upstairs...really not looking forward to this and wish we were back in AC.

Keep up with the posts...I'll be checking in this weekend as a way of keeping my mind off of things and then probably will check in while I'm recuperating...Goody

Hi awty! It's great to hear from you. Sorry you're back. wink I did enjoy your first 24 hours. You guys are doing such a great job with your trip reports and pics that I'm sure I'll feel like I've been to AC 5 times even though it will be my first. When I first started researching AC, I thought this place can't possibly be that beautiful, but your pictures don't lie. Even as scary as a storm can be, it was still beautiful. I can't wait! Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to read and see the rest. You have a great sense of humor!

Goody - Be strong and think warm thoughts of your time on AC. I'm sure everything will be just fine. You and your family will be in our prayers and as soon as you feel up to it, please do post to let us know how you're doing. - Jenn

Well, Well, Well..........please don't tell me it's gonna be one day at a time frown

I'll just wait till the end and read them all smile
It makes me nuts waiting for the next chapter.

One funny thing I always notice, no one ever deplanes on the mainland wink The first chapters all begin on the way to AC confused

I'm glad your trip was enjoyable. Catch up with ya again in a few days laugh
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goody, I'm with ya, and I will ask HIM too.

OP Offline
Hmmm .... the mainland? Where was that? Ya sure we landed there?

laugh

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
K
K
Beautiful place! It makes me consider it for my next visit, despite the hike to town. Would you stay there again? Was there a lot of seagrass? Kathy

lovely pictures awty...can feel the heat AND those breezes. the suite looks great.

wondering how you felt about being north of the cut...would you think about being closer to san pedro, south of the cut, to be able to walk to/around town easier? we thought belizean shores looked great...but didn't want to have to use the ferry or taxis to get to the more populated areas every day. would you stay somewhere else next time?

OP Offline
Hey Goody .... go check your email ... now ... I'll wait ... do de do de doooo ....ya back yet? Yewww hewwwieee .... Goody??? .... oh man,now where'd she go? ....hmmm ...well Goody where ever you are, this is for you. (I find that it works REALLY well if you say it out loud at least 3 times!) We're praying that you have a full recovery.

O Christ Jesus,
when all is darkness
and we feel our weakness and helplessness,
give us the sense of Your presence,
Your love, and Your strength.
Help us to have perfect trust
in Your protecting love
and strengthening power,
so that nothing may frighten or worry us,
for, living close to You,
we shall see Your hand,
Your purpose, Your will through all things.

St. Ignatius of Loyola

OP Offline
I'll get back to ya about "the next time" guys, have to scoot across the street now and plant some "mamma's day" flowers as a surprise to women in the congregation.

laugh

OP Offline
As for sea grass, yuppers they had some, but not nearly as much as some of the other places that we walked past. The dock had steps at the end, so if you wanted to swim around out there, not a problem as far as getting back up. (was about 6' at the end)

As I said REALLY, as in REALLY REALLY liked the location for this trip. It was what we were looking for. They weren't busy at all so it was like having the whole resort to ourselves - and the accommodations were absolutely wonderful. Not to mention the pool, one of the nicest designs that I've seen.

Now your questions about staying there again �

Staying north of the cut was perfect for us. Since we had a kitchen, ate breakfast on the balcony every day. Lunch tended to be our "big" meal, so we went in town 5 of the days that we were there, and if still there by suppertime, ate again! (walked, Island Ferry twice, gulf cart for 2 days). Had Paulie's Pizza once (delieved by golfcart) and one whole day was spent at Lamanai. So not being closer to town was not an issue for us. I did however love the walking around part, and if I had 2 weeks, it would have been nice to spend the other "in town" so that I could have developed a relationship with some of the locals that you come in contact with on a daily bases.

When (note that I'm not saying "if") we go back, I'm wanting to spend more time with a local family, want more of a hands on vacation. (have this mission bug nipping at me). Either on AC or on the main land. Made a couple of connections with folks who live in Punta Gorda and another couple who live right there on AC.

The hotel did have bikes that you could rent for $5US a day - almost did that.

So I guess that would be a yes as to would we stay there again, "IF we had 2 weeks" - one for R&R and the other for doing that thing that seems to make me tick and get the jucies flowing!

I sooooo wanna go back - now now now!!!!!

laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 217 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.