Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#86262 05/14/04 08:25 AM
JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, What a great trip.

San Pedro..it is a 3rd world country, dont go with an attitude. The nices people anywhere! Always felt safe. Reminds me of the old west with it's dirt roads and dirt floors. SSOOO many restaurants and shops. Could get there by golf cart but I wouldn't...Take water ferry $10 a ride or catch a ride with Mo if you can. Can only guarantee a ride with Mo at 5 Pm if not to early for you. Did I mention that Mo is the BEST!!!

Portofino..What a view! On one of the best beaches, no you can't really swim unless you walk to end of pier but you won't care about that. The resort is simple and very well maintained. All 11 rooms are on the beach with unbelievable views. It has a nice cozy rest. and bar. Try the Blue beef or pasta with alfrado chicken!! Desserts mmmmm key lime pie, chocolate cake or apple custard mmm mmm good.

Activities..good book or Monica will have 2 or 3 outside options for you, all billed to your room, just show up at the dock at the prearranged time and your off for diving, fishing, snorkeling, ruins what ever you want from 2hours to all day!

I have been many places in this small world. Never have I bonded with the people and staff of a resort as I did here.

Staff.. Sherri(gm) was so nice, she gave me toys to play with Sadie! Monica (fdesk) if shes not married to Rafael by the next time I come, I will marry her, shes the best! Ms. Cynthia (AM Chef) will let you try the staff meal and greet you at 6am with coffee! The guys: Marcel, Marlin, Rafael and Elvi these guys are great, they look out for you and help in any way...always always with a smile!
Don't forget Mo, hes a stand up guy, I miss him already.
Sandra(A Belgium Beauty) is warm, friendly and a great host!
But the best staff member of Portofino is Sadie the wonder Lab. Sadie is truely the PR director there.

As you can see, The people really affected me. I miss them so much. Monica I love you!!!!

PS; Went out with BAD and they were great! Tracy, Craig and Chris were all very nice. Just a nice operation.

WOW! Don't know if I should take my husband there or not. laugh Glad you had a great time John and see....you did come back to this board! Thanks for the great info. I can't wait! Portofino here we come!!!

Ok, just give us a trip report when you have calmed down a bit. What did you do, what did you see and would you go back (even if you had to stay somewhere else)?

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
Day 1: Arrived around 2pm without luggage. Mo brought to our room after next Tropic Air flight came in. We were given a brief orientation by Monica and then taken to our little bungalow on the sand.

Had a quick shower and headed back into town with Mo. Did some walking around and bought a few cigars, I found the best place was on middle street just down from FiDo's, looks like a gift shop but has good ones at a great price.

Had dinner at Carumba's which was very good. I had a grilled whole snapper with rice and slaw for $10US and Francine had a drink and grilled shrimp, the whole bill was 60BZ.

We took the ferry back to Portofino ($20) and sat at our bar with very nice people and had a drink. The bartenders at Portofino were wonderful.

I then went to my porch and smoked a Cuban while watching the stars and palms sway. Great breeze blew all night and did not need AC.

Hmmm ... what cha think about Mo???

laugh

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't understand your question:(

JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
Day 2: Woke up at 5 am thats 7 our time. Went snooping around and found Miss Cynthia. She made me coffee and an early breakfast so I could catch up with BAD. Tracy and Craig came and picked me up while Francine hung out on the beach with a book.

Bad took me to Casta Maya Resort to take care of dive paperwork. Then we were off to a shallow dive on Mexico Rocks. Craig took me himself and we had a relaxing dive.

Today is Sunday and there is only one thing to do on Sundays in San Pedro...yep..BC's for lunch.
Ribs Ribs Ribs oh so good. The owners of BC's are very friendly and we had a great lunch.

And then? Thats when they found me!!! From all corners of the bar voices calling out John B is that you. Hiding behind my shades I reluctently acknowledged YES. 8 drinks later I know I had to get out of there before I was broke.

Headed on back by ferry to Portofino. Later that night we were to full to eat dinner so we had soup and salad and some wonderful apple custard thing...mmmmmm!

After dinner we went down to the resort bar to relax when I heard John B is that you? Yep 3 more drinks went out to boarders...Help! Finished my night with another fine Habana

"Did I mention that Mo is the BEST!!!"

Sorry .... you weren't inside my head - was just teasing you! Could see that big ole AC smile all the way in Ohio. The three !!! gave it away

laugh

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
Day 3: Quite morning on the beach. Breakfast was 5 or 6 different fruits with 2 pieces of thickly slices toast served with Jiff and jam.

Just enough time to woof down some salsa and chips and off to Hol Chan park. It was a 2 stop trip with BAD. Some of us got to dive while other snorkeled above and then we all went to Shark/Ray Alley. That was amazing to see and touch these creatures in the wild. I do recommend you try this.

Had a pleasent dinner at Portofino(man that was good chocolate cake) and hung out at our bar with new friends and boarders.
And yes smoked a big Havana..

JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
And now, the rest of the story. Much of the rest of our trip was much of the same, I think you got it now.

All and all it was a very nice place to visit I would recommend Portofino to anyone that wants to relax in beauty and charm. So go with the flow and as they say live the dream...

Thank God things on AC are not what I'm used to. smile smile smile

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
John - I hope our trip is exactly like yours - good food, lots of new friends, great accommodations, and some fun snorkeling etc. (of course, some good fishing would be nice too, but I don't want to alienate the "trip gods" by asking for too much...) wink

JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
Everyone who went fishing got to BBQ their catch on the beach! So will you..Have fun.

Hey JohnB... thanks for the drinks! Yep.. we tried to repay you. Rode our bikes all the way from the cut up north and made it to Sundiver Beach Resort and still had a ways to go. We decided to turn back.
It was great meeting you and Francine... glad you two had fun. We sure did. I'll get your photo posted as soon as I get em developed (old school).
We ran into Communik8r a few more times too... what great people are on this board! laugh

JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
Scub, been waiting for you. Had a great time, glad you did too. When we got to Portofino 3 more people got me..No where to hide.

Every boarder we met was so nice!!!!

On another forum, a recent visitor who stayed at Portofino complained bitterly about the mattreses there and said that most guests there at the same time had the same concerns. Did you have any problems?

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
Lan, You offered me good advise last year on my choice to Ambergris. So I reply, The mattrese wasn't that bad! It wasn't the king that we are use to but it was not as bad as that other forum wrote. I did see it and I admitt it worried me..nothing to worry about here.

Hey, JohnB, glad to hear you had a great time and loved everyone at Portofino as much as we did. I really miss that place!! Did you teach Sadie to fetch?

Cheers,
Snoopycat

I too read the other post about the mattresses at Portofino. We will be there in Nov and I'm not worried one bit. I think it's all a matter of what you're willing to accept. Another poster on this board is fond of saying "Just go with the flow and everything will be fine." I plan on doing just that. wink

JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
1. Don't worry about the bed. If you read my trip report you know my feelings. You will fall in love with everything. I am still sad!!!!

SADIE...That darn dog. She had me fetching.

Those of you who have been you know...
Those of you going will soon see, you will fall in love also.

JohnB Offline OP
OP Offline
Hay, Does anyone have a Belikin?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 291 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.