Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
OP Offline
V
My wife and I are going down in 10 days for a week (our first trip to Belize). I have a couple questions for everyone.
1) Who would you recommend for a fishing guide for a novice? Anyone you would stay away from? (I read about some guides not having any options in the case of bad weather).

2) What bug repellant works best?

3) Lamanai or Altun Ha? What is the difference?

4) How far to the Pine Ridge District and any recommendations?

Thanks Much! cool

1) Capt. Bicho, Capt. Bicho, Capt. Bicho....he'll bait ya, cast ya & even reel it in for ya!!! He really finds the fish and it's a treat watching him catch the sardines for bait!! And he cooks up your catch into a meal you'll never forget!!

2) We used Sawyer's Bug Repellant that had 25% DEET. Bugs were biting...we sprayed & it worked like a charm

Sorry...did not go to mainland so cannot comment on # 3 & #4....have a wonderful time...Goody laugh laugh

V
OP Offline
V
Thanks for the information Goody2shuz! We're staying at Victoria House and was having them book the fishing for us. After reading some other posts, I emailed them to book with Capt. Bicho, I hope they listen to me! Sounds like you've had a fantastic time, when were you down? What did you fish for?

T
Tom Offline
T
Vacationlover,
I have been going to the island since 1991 and have fished inside & outside the reef. I love to fish and have many friends I fish with. If you want very nice eating fish there are many varieties to be had inside the reef & on the back side of the island. I prefer the yellow tailed snapper or any of the other varieties of snapper that are available. The grouper is fun to catch and good to eat but the trigger & queen trigger are great to catch and eat, they put up a nice little fight and you think you have a really large fish on the line. Don't get my wrong there are plenty of large fish to be had as well. One of the new guides is the Joyce Marie Tours owned by Hilian. I fished with him in February and had a great time, caught lots of fish. You can contact him by his cell phone #602-4808 once you are on the island. Make sure you tell him that Kat sent you.
Anything with deet in it works well, alot of people like to use skintastic because it has a pleasnat fragrance to it, but that is a personal choice.
Altun Ha & Lamanai are both good, the ride up the river is really nice, but do take plenty of bug spray with you for that.
Have not spent any time at the Pine Ridge Area, because when I get to the island I just don't want to leave to go anywhere. I love the place.
Since my husband & I went to the island for the first time in 1991 we now own a condo, some vacant land and I have become the island Mascot by the name of Tuki Tuki, whom the children of Ambergris Caye actually helped to create and gave her her name. Like I said I love the place.
You will be in good hands at Victoria House, it is beautiful and your chef Amy is very acclaimed.
Make sure you stop bt BC's Bar on the beach in town next to the Sun Breeze Hotel and tell them Tuki Tuki sent you.
Have a GREAT time and don't forget to post your comments when you get back.
Kat/aka:Tuki Tuki

We went in April and were fortunate enough to book 2 full days with Capt Bicho. The first was not so good in terms of fishing...probably because outside the reef was extremely rough and we opted not to go out. We caught enough snapper & trigger for lunch and spent the rest of the day hitting the snorkeling sites. One thing about Bicho is that he aims to please...you tell him what you want & he'll do it for you.

Our second day was terrific in terms of fishing...we did go outside the reef & couldn't bait the lines quick enough to catch what was biting. As soon as the line was in the water you had yellowtails, grouper, queen triggers, and the highlight of the day was the 38in, 14lb cuda we brought in!!! Capt. Bicho really cooks up a feast...he was a chef at Lily's for over 10 years and really knows what to do to fish to even get the non-fish eaters eating. He cooks up chicken for those who prefer not to eat fish.

You really can't go wrong with Capt. Bicho & can direct any questions to him via e-mail at [email protected] ....Goody

We fished with Bicho last week. We caught Snapper, Trigger fish, Queen Trigger and 4 big cuda's. Then the highlight of the trip......the BBQ.
I would contact him early and do it yourself. We ate at Victoria House one time. It is very nice, you should have fun. But, they had fishing pictures in the bar and I didn't see Bicho in any of them. Just email him directly. (he will get back very fast)

B
B
While in San Pedro take the sun set cruise on Lady Sharon, a 65 foot catamaran. Every Wednesday Dennis Wolfe (Just Another Gringo In Belize) plays. It is a fun time and 45 usd you get rum punch, local beer, soft drinks, rum drinks and appetizers. Lady Sharon also has a day cruise to Mexico Rocks on Sundays which which includes lunch on board. Check with Natalie at The Victoria House, she will set ou up.

I'll leave the fishing to the experts. On your other questions:

Anything with 30%+ DEET works pretty well.

Lamanai has a much more dramatic setting, on the New River Lagoon. Plus there's a small museum, and you'll see howler monkeys. The trip there up the New River is great, too. Altun Ha is worth seeing but of the two I'd suggest Lamanai, although it's a longer trip.

The Mountain Pine Ridge is about 2 1/2 hours by car from Belize City, plus the flight or water taxi from San Pedro to Belize City. Even if you fly to San Ignacio, it's really not a practical day trip from Ambergris Caye, at least not if you want to see anything. You're better off going for at least a couple of nights. Your lodging options in the Pine Ridge are Blancaneaux (deluxe), Hidden Valley Inn (deluxe/expensive), Five Sisters (moderate), Pine Ridge Lodge (low moderate).

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
V
OP Offline
V
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Keep them coming, can never have too much advice! Sold on Lamanai, sorry we probably won't make the Pine Ridge District with it being 5 hours of total travel time - ouch!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.