Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#88047 06/14/04 09:56 AM
V
OP Offline
V
Just got back Saturday from Belize - first trip, wonderful country. Stayed at V-House, figured I'd pass along some info. V-House was very nice, extremely nice people working there, not snobby at all. Some things we encountered that surprised us were the following: Water temperature fluctuations in the shower - watch out! Charged us $10 rental each additional for equipment when we booked snorkel trips through them (wasn't told about this ahead of time). Golf cart rental was $41 for 3 hours PLUS $6 for gas! (again, gas charge not told about). We had the meal plan, I would not recommend it as the menu was limited and you saw the same selection every third night. We had a great time, the resort was beautiful, I would stay again, but will take my own snorkel equipment, insist on staying in one of the other buildings without water temp problems, and not get the meal plan. Can't wait to go back to San Pedro!

#88048 06/14/04 03:03 PM
We are actually at Victoria House as we write. We are totally impressed by the staff, the room, and the grounds. We spent a few days at Banana Beach and it does not compare. Agree that there is some problem with the water temperature in the shower. One minute freezing, next minute scorching! By the way, we have rented a golf cart for the entire trip of 8 full days and paid only $265. We will give more details of our trip later.

#88049 06/15/04 08:21 AM
V
OP Offline
V
Since I had paid $41 plus gas for 3 hours, that's great at $265. We thought everyone there was great, extremely personable. The food was great, just wish there were a few more choices. After seeing some of the other places, no doubt we (and you) picked a winner of a place to stay. Envious you're still there! Enjoy

#88050 06/16/04 12:03 PM
D
D
Thanks for the info Vacationlover and knotborde! My wife and I are staying at VH in November and really looking forward to it. I was wondering what type of room you were both in that had water problems? Was it a state room, plantation room or one of the casitas? We are booked for a state room and was wondering if these accomodations will be ok? We are not looking for anything huge or elaborate in a room, we plan to be very active and will only be in the room in the evening any way. Thanks in advance for your input.

#88051 06/16/04 03:43 PM
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE THREAD. WILL BE AT V.H. FROM JULY 11 TO 17. HAVE BOOKED THE RAIN FOREST SUITE. IF WHAT I HEAR IS TRUE THIS WILL BE A GREAT EXPERIENCE. I DID FIND OUT ONLY THIS A.M. THAT V.H. DOES ADD CHARGES WHEN YOU BOOK ANYTHIN THROUGH THEM. IVE BOOKED 2 HALF DAYS FLY FISHING AND THE FAMOUS CAPT. BICHO REEF FISHING/ LOBSTER BBQ AND SNORKLE TRIP.I BOOKED CAPT BICH DIRECT SO THERE SHOULD BE NO SUPRISES. THE HALF DAYS OF FLY FISHING WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT THE FINAL CHARGES WILL BE.I DONT MIND ONE BIT PAYING FOR SERVICES RENDERED BUT FEEL IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW ABOUT THEM BEFORE HAND. ANY WAY WE WILL POST A REPORT WHEN WE RETURN WITH PICTURES OF THAT GRAND SLAM I HOPE.

#88052 06/17/04 07:46 AM
V
OP Offline
V
We booked tha Plantation Suite and were a little disappointed. It was my fault though as when I was looking at their brochure, I was under the belief that the Plantation Suites were in separate buildings from the main building and that they had private balconies. Our room - Room 16 did not have any outside sitting area which I was disappointed in. I wanted the Rainforest Suite, but it was booked, I'm sure you'll love it. The water temperature in the room fluctuated, but was livable.

Yes, the VH does tack on additional booking charges as well as tax. We fished with Capt. Bicho two days. His charge was $225 a day, whereas the hotel was adding $24+ to book a full day ~ $249. Had a great time fishing with him, very knowledgable. Bonefish were readily available, not sure what the tarpon situation or permit will be like though. I had hopes of the "Grand Slam", but the winds were rough and heading down for tarpon was out of the question.

Enjoy!

#88053 06/17/04 12:03 PM
VH will tell you what the half day fishing charge will be. Just ask them. They have great guides themselves (the Bradley Brothers) so no need to really book with Bicho unless you want to for some other reason. The Bradley Bros have been known for years as some of the best guiides on the island till Cap't Jeff started pushing Bicho so hard.

Most of the Plantation rooms are in a separate building but some are upstairs over the lobby/restaurant. There are also some in the 2, 3 & 4 bedroom villa as well.

#88054 06/17/04 12:39 PM
Wow, Barbara careful what you say! The moment I even suggested that there were other great fishing guides on Ambergris Caye besides Bicho a bunch of people jumped all over me.

#88055 06/17/04 01:40 PM
RMT Offline
I have always felt the same way! We have used Abel Guerrera for many years and he is wonderful. LOTS of good fishing guides on the island I'm sure. They just don't get advertised over and over and....

How are you Barbara? Ever convince your sister to travel to Belize yet??? smile Rhonda

#88056 06/17/04 04:57 PM
Let them jump on me! I have been doing the Belize thing for longer than most of them and have seen people, guides, hotels, etc come and go. I am frankly sick & tired of the heavy sell of some over others. Recommendations are fine but too much it WAY TOO MUCH! Bicho is good and I had a fun day with my kids & him but he's really no better than many other guides. They just don't have a salesman.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.