Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#88376 06/21/04 01:50 PM
OP Offline
..this message board has provided so much information...actually looked forward to logging on and finding out new info...BUT
the Embassy Crime Warning post does concern me. As a virgin to S.P. ..somethings scare me. Here goes..!!
I wanted so much for my husband to enjoy his much deserved vaca..doing what he loves, fishing .(he has three fishing trips chartered with Capt. Bichp) .For the days he is fishing, I planned on doing my favorite things.. going to town to shop and lay out at Banana Beach!
But what do I say/do when approached by a drug dealer/begger/or??? I have never ever dealt with such people and this is a concern for me. I will leave my good jewlery at home so as not to attract attention... My husband,whose job takes him worldwide , tried to assure me to say "NO thank you", and I'm not interested.
I don't want my husband to know I'm overly concerned, because I know my husband will cancell his fishing trips. I have decided to go on at least one of his charters even though I don't fish but... Just how does
one handle the drug dealer/begger when approached alone?

G
G
NO THANK YOU. They aren't going to follow you around bugging you or anything. Most people do not ever have anyone ask them so DON'T WORRY about it, especially since you be doing your wandering around during the day! As a single woman I have traveled to San Pedro and only had someone ask me twice, and no thank you is all you have to say (that's in 10 trips). laugh

B
B
Don't worry...A/C does not really have any drug dealers/beggers. I was asked about 4 times in 8 days by people riding by on a bike and all they said was "Mary Jane?" or "Ganja"(sp?) so don't worry about being heckled. The men/kids selling stuff really don't bother you and a quick wave of the hand shuts them up. Do NOT tell them to came back later....they will. Do NOT tell them tomorrow or whenever because you have no $$ or husband has it... they remember everything and will confront you EVERY day. If you are NOT interested just say so and that is end of conversation. A/C is not like Cozumel, Jamaica, Bahamas, etc. There are only a few of the beach entrepreneurs to be bothered by. Believe it or not, there are cops that harass suspecting critters and if they don't have a good enough reason to be hanging around and don't live on A/C, they stick their butts on a ferry for the mainland...supposably Rasta people are their favorite targets. Don't know if last statement is true but was told that by the cops when they returned my golf cart.

you are not going to have a problem ,most people never get ,to see a drug dealer ,I travel the world and this is a safe place... people are happy ,they love the tourists here . you will enjoy your stay and never feel like you had to not go out .. trust me this is a place to live your dream in peace ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
K
KB Offline
K
Gee...if you have never been approached by a beggar you must live in a very very small town or are so wealthy that the desparate people can't get close enough to ask. The world if full of people who need something...money, food, drugs but they are all just people like you and me. If someone asks you something and you don't want to help just politely say "NO" It doesn't matter if you are in Bombay, San Pedro or Cleveland it's really just that easy!

I can just picture Irma back in the 1st grade classroom. Berkenstock sandals, bell bottom jeans, a hand painted shirt from Woodstock, hair in dread locks, 20lbs heavier ( 5 from lobster, 15 from muchies ) talking about tripping out, meaning her trip to Belize, how good the Belize Breeze and Blow made her feel, meaning how the gentle blowing wind in Belize keeps you comfortable from the heat, all just because she didn't say no. laugh

We just returned from San Pedro on Saturday night and we never saw a drug dealer/beggar. When you do not appear interested, I believe that they will not approach you. Of course, there were people trying to sell items, but all we had to say was "no, thank you" and they left us alone. Don't be so worried. There are people everywhere, so you are really not alone.

I was there in January and was not approached by drug dealers, however, my friend was approached by a young man who said he specialized in taking care of the needs of older ladies. My friend told him thanks but no thanks and he left.

That's the first time I heard Pedro refered to as a young man. :p

OP Offline
.. wink ...by... that is so funny! Only thing I just retired now!!!

Honestly I have never been approached about buying illegal "stuff."..Lucky , I guess! We do travel lots...last year Vegas, Alaska,
Ohau and the Keys..have never ever been approached to buy drugs ....
Guess I must have that "First Grade Teacher" look!?????

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.