Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#88659 06/27/04 04:27 PM
C
Coreen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
OK, the countdown is into hours before departure!!!

From you old AC hands, I noticed that the flight from BZE to AC has a 70 lb allowance on luggage per person. I am fine, I have been a good girl, and am bringing one small checked bag and a backpack on the plane. My boyfriend has his suitcase plus dive gear bag, so will be over the limit. Will they let us combine weight? How much to they charge for overage?

Thanks all (20 hours to my first rum punch!!)
Coreen

#88660 06/27/04 07:27 PM
My husband and I travel heavy and have never had a problem with any of the airlines. We each carry a dive bag (50+ lbs.) and we each carry a suitcase (heavy I'm sure). I believe the limit is 70 lbs. per bag with a 2 bag max. per person. I also take a carry-on that Tropic Air makes me check, so I actually check 3 bags for the short flight. If they're over weight for our flight, they just send the bags on one of the many other flights of the day--usually the one 15 min. behind the one we're on.

For those of you who posted to the "travel light" thread, yes, I am ashamed of myself and am considering starting a new 12-step group for my condition. Anyone else who just can't leave things at home and want to be cured? laugh

#88661 06/27/04 09:04 PM
J
J
Gee, Sam Scuba, hope you never want to fly in Costa Rica or Panama where the weight limit is 25 pounds per person, including carry on. Sort of forces you to take less. Also forced us to buy lighter luggage. Jean

#88662 06/27/04 11:42 PM
So I admit my problem and you shame me, JeanH? It's hard to believe that Costa Rica would not allow people to bring their own dive equipment into the country, because at 25 lbs. I'd be leaving most of it at home. Until my problem is under better control, it appears I'll just have to keep going back to San Pedro.

#88663 06/28/04 02:45 PM
J
J
Sam Scuba, There are worse things in the world than having to keep returning to San Pedro. Costa Rica doesn't have nearly as much diving as Belize. There also aren't nearly as many people who use the domestic airlines. More car rentals, use of buses and hiring drivers. A lot of flights only fly once or maybe twice a day. So, the luggage restriction there is based on weight. In Belize, the flights are so frequent that if a bag misses one flight due to weight, it can just go on the next with a minimum of hassle for the traveler.

We're going to have trouble with the weight restrictions for our upcoming trip to Panama. We'll be spending some time in the city itself, so will need some nicer clothes. I'm hoping the city hotel will keep a bag for us while we're in San Blas and Bocas del Toro. Jean

#88664 06/28/04 03:13 PM
Jean-

While they weighed and charged the Kuna people for overrage waiting to board the flight to San Blas, they didn't weigh my bag. I even offered to put it on the scale, since that seemed to be the norm. She waved it away! Not sure if its the encourage tourism factor, or the fact that most of the Kuna people had a lot of groceries, electronic equip (going home for Christmas). The 2 other non-Kuna people on my flight had hard-sided Euro suitcases and didn't get weighed or charged either.

I left my real suitcase with most stuff in the hotel in Panama City and took one of those plastic folding suitcases with just bare essentials and snorkel gear to Bocas and San Blas - but still my daypack with cameras, film and minimal cosmetics weighed 25 lbs! Can't guarantee you'll have same experience - but I did make 2 RTP domestic flights in Panama (to Bocas also) and never got charged.

Enjoy the trip! I loved Panama and am seriously considering relocating to Bocas if bush gets elected!

#88665 06/28/04 03:58 PM
Yeah, sure you will evening, just like big mouth Alec Baldwin was going to leave America if Bush was elected in 2000. He is still here making movies and US dollars.

gforrest.imageculture.com
#88666 06/28/04 04:25 PM
I refuse to be a part of any more political arguments (especially with Evening), but I can't resist just one shot. Go ahead, move to Panama. Also, give up your citizenship. That will teach everyone. Have a nice day. smile

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#88667 06/28/04 08:58 PM
J
J
Evening, Thanks for the information re: flying to San Blas. First trip for us to Panama and we're excited.

They did weigh our bags in Costa Rica, but not our carry on. Asked us our weight too. I figured it wasn't a good time to give my 'wished for' weight. <g> The return flight from Palmar Sur was only four of us, so we didn't have to weigh in there.

Jean

#88668 06/29/04 09:46 AM
Gee Bobber, I thought you were in Iraq by now...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.