Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Shark Attack #89238
07/08/04 10:23 AM
07/08/04 10:23 AM
NYgal Offline
NYgal  Offline
Positive replies generally are readily accepted.

Lesson in 'SanPedro 101', it will all work out.
We all have an off day

You'll do fine, keep reading.... smile

Re: Shark Attack #89239
07/08/04 10:30 AM
07/08/04 10:30 AM
lawton, oklahoma
O
okie Offline OP

okie  Offline OP
O
About the lady getting bit. Guide was holding shark, trying to get another snorkler to touch it. This lady reached out fom the front, the water distorted the distance and she was bitten. I should not have titled topic shark ATTACK. Just thought it was a coincidence that they were from OK. Still "liven' the dream". I realize this isn't an aquarium. Thrilled by the adventure.
Also, sorry stuff got stolen, definately realize it is our own fault.
Off to discover more!!!

Re: Shark Attack #89240
07/08/04 10:32 AM
07/08/04 10:32 AM
New York
N
newyorkers Offline

newyorkers  Offline
N
thanks again NYgal! I hope to meet people like you while there!

Re: Shark Attack #89241
07/08/04 11:09 AM
07/08/04 11:09 AM
Brookline MA USA
M
Mike and Daphne Ryan Offline

Mike and Daphne Ryan  Offline
M
Dear Okie

Sorry to hear your stuff walked away. Apparently there has been in influx of unemployed young people on the Island lately. The Chamber of Commerce and the security at various resorts are working on this, developing a radio net connecting every one. The police have been pretty good, actually apprehending people -- so different from our experiences living many years in NYC.

On the other side of the coin, we rent out our villa, and, from time to time, we have to replace things that wandered off with our guests. We're bringing down a beach towel and will have to replace a couple of coffee makers when we get there in the second half of July.

AC still seems pretty wonderful to us, especially the people.

Mike Ryan

Re: Shark Attack #89242
07/08/04 12:57 PM
07/08/04 12:57 PM
San Pedro, Belize
G
govikes Offline
govikes  Offline
G
Hmmm. Most shark attacks occur ON the island. Not in the water. eek

Re: Shark Attack #89243
07/08/04 01:01 PM
07/08/04 01:01 PM
Canada
seashell Offline
seashell  Offline
This is a fine example of one reason why it is not good practice to manhandle the sea creatures.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Re: Shark Attack #89244
07/08/04 01:50 PM
07/08/04 01:50 PM
San Diego CA
son of a son Offline
son of a son  Offline
First let me say I'm all for medication .... especially the HERBAL kind!!!!!!

I too feel your pain.

Now! Last year while my wife and I were there my laundry was stolen. The deliverer didn't put the laundry in our room because we were napping. They left it on the chair in front of the room. When we got up to go on our night dive I noticed the laundry there after I had locked the room and put away the key, so I decided to leave it until after the dive. MY MISTAKE! I have learned from that. It has not detered me in the least about AC and Belize. Crime is everywhere!!!

As for the animals. Your own pet, no mater how domesticated, could turn and bite you. Just use common sense, you wouldn't stick your hand into a Lion's cage. Even the most cautious people sometimes get it!!!

Paradise is still Paradise to me!!!!! smile

One Barrel and Sprite.....It doesn't get any better than that!
Re: Shark Attack #89245
07/08/04 02:29 PM
07/08/04 02:29 PM
U.S.
egcntrk Offline

egcntrk  Offline
Is it just me? confused I thought common sense :rolleyes: says you don't stick your hand in any animals face. Sorry she got a bite but animals should be respected. After all, they can be unpredictable.

Theft: had a regular routine...wet things on the line first thing in the morning...take inside before leaving...put back outside upon return...take inside before bedtime...

Was amazed the neighbors dive suit wasn't taken. It was outside for 2 days.

Re: Shark Attack #89246
07/08/04 07:53 PM
07/08/04 07:53 PM
San Francisco
Sam Scuba Offline
Sam Scuba  Offline
I wish this thread would have been called "Shark Abuse" because that's what it sounds like. I have been on many dives where the divemaster takes chum along to attract fish, and these are never enjoyable dives for me. I have asked the divemaster to either exclude me from those feeding frenzies or not take the food along so we can all be respectful of the underwater sea life. From the pictures that are posted at Hol Chan and other snorkel sites, it appears that there is a feeding frenzy of sharks, so of course they're all worked up. I would prefer that nobody touch the sea life and we all just enjoy each other's boundaries. But, it ain't my playground, so I only get to call the shots when I'm paying. Looking forward to a peaceful coexistence with sharks next week. Sam

Re: Shark Attack #89247
07/09/04 06:42 AM
07/09/04 06:42 AM
C
crockhunter Offline
crockhunter  Offline
C
Animal handling 101 do not stick your hand near a domestic animal's mouth..........to say nothing about a shark's. I thought a shark attack was when a shark attacked a swimmer or surfer, not when you stick your hand in ones mouth and get bit. Next thing you know people will be sticking there hands in barracuda and moray eels mouths.
I agree with Sam Scuba, observe them and let them live their normal lives. To me, feeding wild animals only makes them welfare animals.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 387 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics70,155
Posts477,952
Members19,548
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.