Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#89559 07/15/04 10:04 PM
OP Offline
Hi y'all:

This message board has been a BIG help; so many great recommendations! I'm hoping some of you will be able to give me some advice.

This is my first trip to AC. My husband, mom, step-dad and I are renting a villa at Banyan Bay during the last week in August. I'm so excited! Above all, I really want this trip to be special for my mom. She has Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL)-in remission for 5 years- and is currently doing great (did a half marathon in New Orleans in Feb.), but recently has undergone some tests. We're worried the cancer might have re-occurred, but NO WAY that's gonna stop us from going to AC! Since she's feeling good, is still very active, we all really want her to have a blast. We plan to do lots of relaxing, eating, and drinking, and this board has certainly done an admirable job of filling us in on where to go. Hubby can't wait to snorf down his first (case of) Belikin. We also plan to snorkel, and explore. We're all huge animal lovers. Hmm that sounded weird. Sorry.

Here are my questions:

1. Should we rely on the Villas at BB to handle snorkel, fish, jungle adventure arrangements or make our own?

2.Are there any local guides or tours you recommend?

3. I'm a beaded jewelry designer (actually have recently begun selling at a gallery in the French Quarter :}). I specialize in antique/vintage glass beads. Would it be totally out of line to bring some loose beads to "swap"- or at least help when buying stuff? Are all prices for arts, crafts, handmade stuff fixed? (I'm NOT counting groceries, t-shirts and the like.) Or would that be a stupid-tourist thing to do? At least maybe as a goodwill gesture? I don't want to come off as a complete goofball....

4. Are there any local arts and crafts worth checking out? I love beads (of course) but admire all types of art and artisan work as well.

5. How 'bout the music scene? Is there one? Is there a group/person/act not to be missed?

6. I've got my flip flops ready to flop. Any other suggestions to help make this trip a memorable one- especially for mama?

By the way, Sophie's my dog. Too bad she can't come this time! Maybe next time.....

Thanks for your help; sorry for the l-e-n-g-t-h of this post.

Freda

#89560 07/16/04 02:23 AM
Hi Freda: I still miss New Orleans...I lived there 1984-1988 in Kenner. There are really lots and lots of bead jewlry in San Pedro...and I'd guess that if you can provide something new, they would probably be anxious to do some swapping. A fellow by the name of Tulu is a very good scuba/snorkle guide. He is a landmark and is easily found. Lots of music in San Pedro. Coconuts Hotel is a nice Saturday evening...Dennis Wolfe is a long time mainstay of San Pedro entertainment circles. Fido's is located downtown and has music most nights. Being from New Orleans, nice spicy food can be found at Caliente's in the Spindrift Hotel. "Street food" found on the town "square" is also nice AND inexpensive. Hope this has been helpful and enjoy: Bill

Gone fishing!!
#89561 07/16/04 02:55 AM
1. Should we rely on the Villas at BB to handle snorkel, fish, jungle adventure arrangements or make our own?

Sure why not? You can easily do it on your own but it is much easier to just let them take care of it for you.

2.Are there any local guides or tours you recommend?

They are all excellent and BanyanB will make sure that you go with their best choice.

3. I'm a beaded jewelry designer (actually have recently begun selling at a gallery in the French Quarter :}). I specialize in antique/vintage glass beads. Would it be totally out of line to bring some loose beads to "swap"- or at least help when buying stuff? Are all prices for arts, crafts, handmade stuff fixed? (I'm NOT counting groceries, t-shirts and the like.) Or would that be a stupid-tourist thing to do? At least maybe as a goodwill gesture? I don't want to come off as a complete goofball....

If you have the room in your bags to take the beads, go ahead and do it. Lots of artisans in the area. You will enjoy and there may be some opportunities to swap. If no swapping, you may find that you are internally compelled to give them away anyway. You'll be a bit surprised. Also, have a visit at Elizabeth's shop at Fidos.

4. Are there any local arts and crafts worth checking out? I love beads (of course) but admire all types of art and artisan work as well.

You will be happy.

5. How 'bout the music scene? Is there one? Is there a group/person/act not to be missed?

Oh, yeah, there's a music scene alright. Myself, I like the Punta Boys but many others really like some of the expat musicians. You'll be happy.

6. I've got my flip flops ready to flop. Any other suggestions to help make this trip a memorable one- especially for mama?

You just can't go wrong. Make sure you go out in the evening. You can't miss it, it's all there.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#89562 07/16/04 10:52 AM
May I suggest you "DON"T MISS" the sunset cruise on the Lady Sharon...It is great.....Dennis Wolfe is a "One-man band & we really enjoyed it..Also the bartender is really good. wink wink

John
#89563 07/16/04 10:57 AM
what kind of music does Dennis play?? I think we may take the sunset cruise on wednesday the 28th.....

#89564 07/16/04 02:07 PM
Dennis plays pretty much everything except YMCA. He has also written some nice songs like "Just another Gringo in Paradise" and my personal favorite "Third World Paradise". PS. ...think glass beads for beachfront property!! PSS. another very entertaining performer is Barefoot Skinny...he performs at Fido's with Catagory X and at the Hammock House on the other side of Boca del Rio.

Gone fishing!!
#89565 07/16/04 02:21 PM
Third World Paradise story... it was a Saturday night during our first visit to SP and our friends retired early. Irm and I went searching for the Barefoot Iguana (it was way too early and no one was there yet.) We stumbled onto the old Hideaway Sports Bar by accident and were drawn to peak inside the front door by the sound of everyone signing along to "You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me Lucille." As we stood at the door checking out the crowded scene the owner (whose name I don't remember) said "Hi, I own this place. Come on in and have a drink!" So we did. We sat down and ordered a couple of Belikins. Dennis Wolfe (we didn't know who he was at the time) was playing keyboards and guitar. After we got our beers Dennis broke into "Third World Paradise". For us it was a perfect SP moment and one that makes me smile every time I remember it. 20 days and counting...mobunny cool

#89566 07/16/04 03:48 PM
L
L
Be sure to have him do the "Save the Manatee". My new favorite. And Bill he does do YMCA, he's doing it for my wake.

R.B. Mernitz
#89567 07/16/04 04:18 PM
OP Offline
Bill Thornton:

Now there's an idea....beads for beachfront! I'm not sure how many jetliners full of beads that would take. I better start saving.

Love those song titles! "Just another Gringo in Paradise" especially. "You Picked a Fine Time To Leave Me Lucille" reminds me of my kid sister, who used to finish that line by singing: "four hundred children, not a crop in the field" LOL! I actually sing (or attempt to) in a local (NC)group called, appropriate for me, Group Therapy.

Speaking of manatees, I'd love to see one! Any chance of a sighting in late August/early Sept.? Where? My dog Sophie kinda looks like a mini-tee.

#89568 07/16/04 04:22 PM
E
E
The correct title may be "Just Another Gringo In Belize".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.