Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#89693 07/18/04 10:53 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hello! I'm back again and am trying to decide between staying at Banana Beach or Mata Rocks. My boyfriend and I will be going to Belize for 6 days/5 nights in mid-August to celebrate me having taken the California bar exam. If I can live through it! smile

Anyway, I'm 25 and he is 27. We love traveling and love new, exotic places that are pretty un-Americanized. We are not certified scuba divers but we will snorkel and do boat trips and may do the "resort dives." We will go into town at night for dinner and drinks and the nightlife, but we don't mind walking, biking, or taking a cab from the hotel. We like to walk so we don't need to be right near town.

Banana Beach and Mata Rocks both look great to me for somewhat different reasons. Banana Beach looks lively and the rooms look big. Mata Rocks looks more intimate and I love the look of the beach bar. The pool also is out by the ocean, and Banana Beach's pool doesn't look like it is by the ocean. But Banana Beach has a restaurant and Mata Rocks doesn't. Also, I've read that some people consider the rooms at Mata Rocks to be tiny.

I'd appreciate any opinions at all. We're looking for a very relaxing, romantic vacation, but we are very social people and enjoy meeting new people and being somewhat where the action is. I definitely think the choice is between Banana Beach or Mata Rocks, but if there is any other place closer to town maybe that someone thinks should not be missed, I'd appreciate any opinions like that too. Thanks again!

J
J
I should learn to keep my mouth shut since I haven't stayed at either property, but since you asked....

To my eye Banana Beach looks the most like an American hotel/motel as anything on the island. I think that's because the layout of the place reminds of the motel we stayed at in Atlantic City when I was a kid.

Mata Rocks looks more inviting to my eye. But, I've never seen rooms at either place.

Have you looked at Ramon's? Great stretch of beach, nice dock, only a short walk to town. I suspect more expensive though. Since we don't care about a pool, we're staying at Belizean Reef. Great condos. Large, light and bright with very nice furnishings.

Jean

Suntravelgirl, Remember that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...That said, I HIGHLY recommend MataRocks.!!!! They will make you feel at home ...We have stayed there the last 4 years...We have become very good friends with owners & staff...Terry & Liz (owners ), Sherlyn,Erica,Criss & Gustava & Betty (staff) will go out of their way to see that every detail is to your satisfaction....Their bycycles are free to guests....Try-it-you-will-like-it....
laugh laugh wink E-mail me & I'll send you some pics

John
O
O
My views on Banana Beach are exactly the same as Johnboys on Mata Rocks. The place is all that you would need. The staff at Banana Beach is top notch, that includes the travel shop and the restaurant. I felt at home from the moment I stepped through the front door. I have stayed at many places throughout the US and Caribbean, and I have never felt so comfortable as I do there.
Banana Beach has everything that you could possible need, right there. The beach, two pools,beach towels,a tour/gift shop,restaurant(breakfast included is a big plus), the rooms are kept extremely clean and they are nice sized.

Jackie

Suntravelgirl,

We are BB fans. You did check out our photos from our last trip (posted elsewhere). If not, here is the link:
http://www.kona-cafe.com/bananabeach/index.htm

I think you will do fine at either place!

STG - I will be staying at Mata Rocks in mid August myself. They have a summer special that included 5 nights hotel, transportation to and from the airport in San Pedro, free continental breakfast each day, and a snorkel trip. I chose this hotel because it was small with a beach front open air bar. I have not stayed at either place before but I have visited Banana Beach (which is right next door to Mata Rocks) and it's beautiful as those have testified above. It's much bigger. I think one or the other will be just the ticket for you and I can't see how you would go wrong!

Perhaps I'll see you there - will arrive August 12 and depart on August 17.

Gela

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
A
A
How was the trip? I am considering the exact two places.
And did you taxi over to the municiple airport to fly to the island or just stay at the same one you came in on and fly from there?
Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.