Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wesparx Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Hello everyone!

Am traveling to AC on the 13th of August staying through the 17th. We will be staying at Mata Rocks.

I have a few questions and any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1)Better to fly or boat from Belize City to San Pedro?

2)Bring own snorkel gear or rent once I am there?
( I don't dive)

3)Best day excursion? (only there for 5 days and would like to totally relax, but know I will get the bug to explore)

Thanks ....any comments/suggestions welcomed cool

I will answer # 1 for you .....de plane, de plane......you get a much better idea of the lay of the land from above, not to mention that it's just more fun, in my humble opinion.....no stewardesses(oops, flight attendants...), though

I couldn't agree more. Take the plane. After all, you only have the 5 days and want to totally relax.

You can be on the island in no time at all, be checked in and have your feet up with a beer, long before you've even made it on to the boat.

If you are keen to take a boat ride, no problemo. One afternoon, catch the water taxi over to Caye Caulker and hang out for a few hours then back to AC. Nice way to relax one day.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

I suggest taking your own snorkel gear. Go to Sports Authority or Target and pick up at least goggles and snorkel. You want a nice, close fit. You may not get a good fit with ones you rent. (I also don't want to think about where the rented snorkels have been smile

1)Take the plane - if there are 4 or more in your group, it starts making sense to take a taxi from Goldson to Municipal because the airfare is less.

2)Buy your own mask & snorkel, although I'd recommend something better than what you find at Target... Try Divers Direct on the web - they have some decent package deals.

3)Best day trips (IMHO):
Mainland - either cave tubing or Lamanai.
Ocean Oriented - A)all day snorkel trip to north part of AC w/ beach BBQ. B)Manatee trip w/ lunch at Goff's and stop at Caulker (recent increase in cruise ship traffic may have reduced the attractiveness of this trip). C) Water taxi to Caulker. Take a snorkel trip with one of the local guides, Have lunch on Caulker and explore the town.

It's gonna be hot & humid - and beautiful!

Wesparx - I will be on AC arriving Aug 12 - 17 and also staying at Mata Rocks. Take the plane for sure. You aren't staying very long and you need to enjoy the island for as much time as you can!

Best day trip in my mind would be Lamanai!

See you there!

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
W
wesparx Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Great!

Gela.........we will be in one of the oceanview jr suites moving to oceanfront jr suites the second night.....we will look for you!

Okay, so far the plane sounds like the best bet! Am off to buy snorkel gear. And leaning towards cave tubing trip on the mainland.

I know this is a subjective question, but which tour company is the best?

Also, swimming with nurse sharks and rays sounds very fun. Anyone agree or disagree? better than manatee/snorkeling trip to caye caulkner?

Thanks for everyones help......9 more days!!! laugh

wesparx - I have the cheapest room at Mata Rocks for five nights. You'll likely find me at the Bar by the beach laugh

Cave Tubing - I went with Seaduced - Elito is one of the best in my opinion.

I loved swimming with the sharks and rays. It was a lot of fun. I also did the manatee/snorkel trip which was awsome. You are not guaranteed to see Manatees though.

Wow - if it's nine more days for you - it must be only 8 days for me! Yippee!

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
You're likely to swim with nurse sharks and sting rays in two locations - both are confusingly referred to as "Shark Ray Alley." One location is now part of Hol Chan park and is visited as part of a tour to Hol Chan, which is near the reef, further south than Mata Rocks.

The other location is nearer Caye Caulker and most tours that got manatee watching usually go to Goff's Caye for lunch, followed by a stop by Caulker for the sharks and rays. Overall, we've had more fun with the sharks/rays near Caulker than at the other location.

Whatever you decide on, come the 5th day of your trip, you'll wish you had more time in San Pedro 'cause you can't see it all and if you tried, you'd be exhausted when you get on the plane.

I got a great set of snorkel, fins and goggles at Costco - I loved it and it was pretty inexpensive.

Also - I went on day trips to both Lamanai and Cave Tubing when I was there in June. I would definitely recommend Lamanai over cave tubing. Not that it was bad, but I thought Lamanai was a better experience of mainland Belize. We used Daniel at Tanesha Ecotours and were very impressed.
If you do decide to go cave tubing - make sure that there are NO cruise ships there when you are. The beginning of our trip included Cruise Ship passengers and it was MUCH better after they were gone.

Either way.... Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 337 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.