Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
#90335 08/16/04 10:04 AM
SIN, I would much rather take the $12,000, or whatever the timeshare cost is, and invest it, earn a return on it, and take my vacations where and when I decide. I hope, but am not optimistic, that your industry is not taking advantage of folks who really need their money for more important things in life. Consumer reports advises anyone considering this purchase to first be sure that local law provides a 30-day right of recission.

#90336 08/16/04 10:08 AM
roomyway just my point thank you ..good deal today, good deal in thirty days still like it buy it then ..they will sell no timeshares ..and go broke ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
#90337 08/16/04 10:20 AM
KBG Offline
Capt Jeff,
Just returned from a few days in Destin, Fl.
The large complex we were staying in had gone part timeshare. There was no relaxing at this place due to the constant stream of time share sales associates hearding suckers around and making all kind of promises. Even the phone to the condo unit where we were staying rung several time from the time share agents trying to get us to see the program.
I really hope that this type thing does not take hold in Belize and ruin the atmosphere.
I use to say "GO TO BELIZE SOON AND ENJOY BEFORE ALL THE TOURIST DISCIVER IT" now I guess I am going to have to start saying 'GO TO BELIZE SOON BEFORE THE TIME SHARE SALESMEN TAKE OVER."
kgb

#90338 08/16/04 12:02 PM
I guess I will jump in on this one also. I will be disagreeing in some respects with my fishing buddies, Capt Jeff, Chris and Pedro on this topic. It appears to me that my good friends are making a very convincing argument based on their personal preferences when it come to timeshare. I also would put myself in the camp believing it hard to justify purchasing one if one does the math and only views it from that perspective. I have friends that own timeshares and are very happy with them. They are well run by developers that have kept their promises.

I would offer the comparison of me trying to convince my late wife what a good bargain it was that I went hunting and fishing and brought home all of that good food. My attempt at convincing her the money I spent on boats, motors, hunting equipment etc. was a good investment did not fly. I was unable to make that a convincing argument in her mind. Some things are not always done or justified as to the benefits gained solely on doing the math.

I think it is unfair to lump all timeshare buyers in the category of being taken advantage of and not knowing what they were doing. Granted, timeshare sales people can be very aggressive and use hard sell tactics. But I have to believe that the majority of those who buy see the advantages of time share ownership and accept that. There are advantages to some people. The real key to me on this is that time share has gotten a bad reputation because of some unscrupulous people in the business. This has been evident on AC. But, I still have to believe that when the concept is presented honestly and is regulated to prevent the unscrupulous from doing their ill, it can have advantages for some people. Unfortunately for right now, there is no regulation in Belize and the high pressure tactics and attempts to convince tourists to go to the sales presentation is having a negative impact on the island, IMO.

So there. How was that for straddling the fence on the issue? wink

#90339 08/16/04 01:00 PM
Bywarren here is my point - show me anywhere on the planet where you can purchase a time share and think about it and show the papers to your attorney with no pressure. There is not a chance in hell this happens. All time share sellers are con men, not one will let you sleep on it or let you call them back at a later date - not one, which proves my previous statements above. If they have nothing to hide why not allow a two to three week free look? The reason this isn't allowed is because they are dishonest and all are flim-flam artists only out for the quick high commission. If there are honest ones they are far and few between and I have never heard of a honest time share agent. If you can show me one, I will apologize to all, though I have a better chance at getting hit by lightening.

#90340 08/16/04 01:18 PM
Sorry Jeff, you are wrong in lumping all timeshare sales into one catagory. There are many places where it is regulated and provides for exactly what you are refering to. Example from the State of Nevada. NRS 119A.410 Right to cancel contract of sale.

1. The purchaser of a time share may cancel, by written notice, the contract of sale until midnight of the fifth calendar day following the date of execution of the contract. The contract of sale must include a statement of this right.

2. The right of cancellation may not be waived. Any attempt by the developer to obtain a waiver results in a contract which is voidable by the purchaser.

3. The notice of cancellation may be delivered personally to the developer or sent by certified mail or telegram to the business address of the developer.

4. The developer shall, within 15 days after receipt of the notice of cancellation, return all payments made by the purchaser.

(Added to NRS by 1983, 982; A 1985, 1141; 1987, 894; 2003, 984)

Please stay inside and out of the way of lightening for a while, buddy. :p

PS: I just showed the example from Nevada. Most places where timeshares are sold have a right of recision in the contract. This is either required through regulation or offered by those timeshares sales that are reputable. If dealing with one that does not have a right of recision in their contract, I would take my free be and get the hell out of there.

#90341 08/16/04 01:51 PM
I stand corected my brother ,but have not seen one yet who did not high pressure you in to a deal ..if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a duck .a crook is a crook .but I will walk around a few more days with my lighting rod on ..I just feel bad for the nice folks who get screwed every day by the con men who sell time share just to turn a quick buck ...how do they sleep nights?????

#90342 08/16/04 03:45 PM
Caveat Emptor. Those words were used long before timeshare sales were conceived and still have importance that needs to be recognized. If all high pressure sales persons and practices were eliminated, there would be a hugh decline in sales of many things. Now I deferentiate between high pressure and illegal or deceptive practices.

I am no fan of timeshares but I do believe that there are reputable people in that business. Not all are as some we have seen on AC.

#90343 08/16/04 03:55 PM
C
C
Let me chime in here about time share salespeople. My wife and I had an unhappy experience in San Pedro last month with Capt. Morgans.

We were spending an afternoon walking around town doing some shopping and were approached on the street by someone who asked if we spoke English. Then he asked where we were staying, Xanadu, da, da ,da. He said he was promoting the "North End of the Island" and asked if we had been up there. We politely told him no and we had to go.....he asked before we left to draw from his bag to see if we had won a prize. We drew and our prize said "First Prize, $2,500." He then told us they only give away one of those every few weeks and all we had to do to collect was to visit Capt. Morgans. He said we could spend the day, free drinks and meals, and a boat would take us back whenever we were ready to leave. I should have known better.......

Well, wanted us to come the next afternoon, but we had a dive trip scheduled for 1300 and told him we would have to go early AM. He says no problem, he would pick us up at 0800 at our dock. We told him we had to be back before 1230, no problem he says. Not once did he mention time share, just view and enjoy the resort.

Their boat picked us up the next morning, a half hour late, and took us up to Capt. Morgans where we were met at the dock by a very cute young lady in very skimpy dress clothes. She welcomed us and took us to a table by the pool. Then she started asking all sorts of questions, where ya from, what do you do, (how much money do you make), too personal questions. Then I knew we had been scammed. told her we weren't interested in buying anything, just came to collect our $2,500 and check out Capt. Morgans. Well, she excused herself and was soon replaced with another attractive, skimpy dressed lady? who was to give us our tour, which she said we must take before we could collect our prize. What the heck, in for a penny, in for a pound.

So we took the grand tour, then got the hard sales pitch, then was passed on to a professional closer who wanted us to immediately sign a sales agreement. No way, I don't buy anything without thinking about it awhile, says I. He says think about it for an hour and he would be back. No thanks said I. I would think about it and let him know in a few days. He says no, the offer is good today only, it would be $10,000 more if I wanted it tomorrow. I told him that if the deal was legit, that the price would be good for at least 30 days. He says no way, today or never. I say no way, go pound sand, give me my prize and call the boat to pick us up. We were on a schedule. After much whining he turned us back over to our initial floozy greeter who told us the boat was not available for awhile, but she would go and get our prize.

Well, the "prize" was NOT $2,500 as they had stated in writing, it was a certificate good for 7 nights at Capt. Morgans. I fussed about misrepresentation and scam artist and such to no avail.

Wanted to go back immediately to Xanadu and make our afternoon dive as they had promised we could leave when ready, but they could not produce a boat all of a sudden. So my wife and I went to the bar and ordered a couple of drinks. Along comes floozy number 3 with another offer, sign now, save so and so......last chance. Told her to go pound sand, too and get me a damn boat. She left. We got up to walk to the dock to wait and bartender says $14.50 for the drinks! We say we were told the drinks and food was free. He says only if you buy a timeshare. Told him to go pound sand too, not that politely. Went to the dock and waited another hour on the lost boat. Finally came.

Missed our dive trip which we pre paid, wasted the whole day and was peeved to boot. The only time I was angry in 10 days! Been conned, lied to, misrepresented and intentionally delayed.

As far as I'm concerned Capt. Morgans owes me the $2,500 they promised us, the $250 for our dive trip, and another $500 for wasting one of our valuable vacation days (which cost more than $500). And they don't have a prayer of me ever staying there even for the "free" 7 days. I'd rather be at the Xanadu where there is some integrity.

Now, if any of you on this board represents this bunch of sand pounding crooks, I'd be glad to have a discussion with you about your business ethics. Right here in public.

Larry Teuton

#90344 08/16/04 03:59 PM
KBG Offline
Capt. Jeff
I don't want to be an island jumper but just curious, any timershares on Key Calker yet???

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.