Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#91480 09/04/04 11:27 AM
W
W
I also think that "using do care" & "being alert" (for other fun people) is the best idea. I like the idea of carrying a belikin in your pocket,but I'd use it as a friendly offer,rather then a weapon. ( If I can get"my guy" not to drink it himself. laugh

#91481 09/04/04 11:45 AM
As for not carrying all of your money with you, that was merely so that you'd have some left to enjoy your vacation with after you've been robbed. smile

As for the robber knowing how much money you are carrying, mayhap he was having a drink at the bar earlier and saw you take that $400 wad out of your pocket to pay for a $5 drink.

Aeriel, as for a machette, maybe bywarren will be able to disarm the robber and then bywarren will have one of those too.

And you well know bywarren, that I think you are overdressed. Surely one gunbelt would be enough of a fashion accessory.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#91482 09/04/04 11:45 AM
Mace, good grief.

#91483 09/04/04 12:33 PM
If you carry the personal defense spray in your hand, it's already drawn and read to go.
If you draw it from a bag, purse, or pocket, you may need your reaction hand to turn it in your weapon hand so that the spray nozzle is pointed in the right direction. You should also practice being able to tell by feel which is the front, so you don't accidentally spray yourself.
If the robber is practically on top of you, you may need to move into a position that unfortunately lets the assailant see that you have the mace.
Bring your mace up tight against your side next to your chest and rib cage. Your thumb on the actuator the nozzle pointing toward the assailant. Your other hand and arm are shoved out in front of you to keep the assailant at least at arm's length as you spray. You should also be in a wide and deep pyramid base foot position , with your weapon foot to the rear.
This loaded position is primarliy a means of protecting the mace from being grabbed while you spray, since you are keeping the assailant back with your other hand/arm. If you find yourself forced into the loaded position you should be actively spraying, since you've now shown the assailant what you have. This could provide him with a means of countering your defense, especially if you have allowed him close enough that he could knock you down.

If your attacker is far enough away that he can't grab your extended hand, shove your weapon hand out at shoulder height. The extra distance will help protect you from getting the spray blown back if there's any wind. Keep both of your eyes open, spray directly toward the subject's face. If the agreesion continues, continue spraying. If you are using mace that comes out in a cone of mist, creating a curtain of mist which your attacker must penetrate to reach you, don't advance into the mist after firing. Move to one side or the other to avoid firing directly into the wind. If some mist blows back at you, it will annoy you but shouldn't incapacitate you. Then run away.

But if you are facing the guy and not able to get away, shove your other hand/arm straight out to protect your mace holding hand. Both your arms are extended straight out and your eyes are open so you don't lose sight of your target.

Mace must be sprayed directly at the attacker, either blanketing his face in a mist or coating his face with a stream or burst. Your targets are the asssilant's mouth, nose and eyes.
When the subject is closing in on you, he won't just move toward you in a straight line. A study of the dynamics of assault reveals than at attacker does a lot of bobbing and weaving to get past your defenses. This means that the assailant's face, which is the only target for the spray, is moving around a lot. Experience with police has shown us that hitting the target without training is more difficult than you might imagine.

Hitting the face, can be done if you're using proper spray pattersn. All of the spray patterns start frome either the loaded or firing position. The secret of spraying the attacker is that whereever his face goes, the spray goes.

There are five spray patterns to learn. These were developed when discovered in training police that, without the development of specific set of psychomotor skills, the effectiveness of use of the product under stress was lowered.

horizontal sweep, vertical sweep, vertical sweep serpentine, circular sweep, criss-cross sweep.

After being trained in its use, you should practice your skill tecniques on a daily basis for a minute or so until you're comfortable with the techniques.

It is critical that you check the manufacturer's instructions regarding treatment after the subject is sprayed. In general, if you inadvertently spray yourself or someone else, the symptoms can be releived by: flushing the eyes with clear cool water, exposing the face and body to flowing air, washing hair, face, and hands with saod and cold water and changing clothing.

Left untreated, the effects should go away in 15 to 45 minutes. If the effects last longer than this, consult a doctor.

#91484 09/04/04 12:40 PM
Don't walk on the beach after dark......eom wink

#91485 09/04/04 05:06 PM
Seashell, you honestly crack me up. I bet if they offered a semester long course on how to open a beer bottle, you would be the first to sign up. smile

#91486 09/04/04 05:38 PM
LOL, heck if you can't understand dry over the top humor, that's not my problem. By the way, I'd be more likely to give the class than take it.

(Mace, good grief.)

#91487 09/04/04 06:06 PM
I understand the humor. I am dating myself now. My picture is from my high school year book. I am actually a little older than I look. But, it must have been someone like you that inspired the George Burns Gracie Allen show or the character that Goldie Hawn played on the Rowan and Martin Laugh In Show. :p

#91488 09/04/04 06:20 PM
Funny.

(mace, good grief)

#91489 09/04/04 06:21 PM
Oh wait, oh wait . . . I'm telling.

Jesse, Jesseee, by just insulted me. (wicked grin)

(mace, good grief)

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.