Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hi -- my family (6 adults) is going to Ambergris Caye this Xmas for 4 days/nights (Other half of time are staying at 5 sisters) and cannot decide if we should sty at CM's or The Palm. We want to experience the full island experience -- and thought CMs but are a bit nervous about it being too far away from town/restaurants and that we might get cabin fever. Which place do folks recommend? Also my parents are active but do like to be comfortable (I.e. Air conditioning for the parents). I have been to Ambergris 4 times (Coconuts and Banana Boat) but never north of San Pedro and cannot remember the Palms.

Thanks!! smile

We stayed at The Palms in Feb, very comfortable, air, privacy and security. Staff is great, nice pool and grounds, close to town. In fact, you can walk there from the Tropic terminal if you have wheels on your suitcases. Good snorkeling next door at Ramons. We took a few pics of the place on our trip, http://community.webshots.com/user/bobber211
Never been to CM, but have been past it a few times, quite a ways out for commuting on a regular basis.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
J
J
We prefer to stay closer to town as well. One factor in your decision may be availability. Have you checked? Another very nice option, right next to the Palms, is Belizean Reef. But, it doesn't have a pool. Beautiful property though. We'll be there in a little over a week.... Jean

S
OP Offline
S
Both places are available. I was worried about the distance of CM's but it just looks so beautiful and quintessential vacation-type place. I just want to make sure my family enjoys their time at either place -- afraid that at CM's folks might get cabin fever if its too difficult to get around. We will be diving/snorkeling a lot though too. Does anyone know if the Air conditioning works well at Cms? (Dad request)...

I have stayed at Banana and Coconuts a few years ago and liked those but figured the parents might want something a bit nicer...

meg Offline
Call me crazy, but I much prefer to stay far north. My favorite thing about Belize is that I can feel totally secluded from everyone else, while still only being one quick ferry trip away from town.

D
D
sunshine221- we have stayed at Captain Morgans twice. We love it. You are exactly right about it being beautiful and the quintessential vacation spot. They have many different types of rooms so be specific when asking questions. ie: some have televsion some dont (you probably dont want one but some might) Both of our units had good air conditioning but one was better than the other. We travel with two kids and didnt find it difficult to get to and from town. We either take a golf cart or bikes. Your parents, I would assume, dont want to ride bikes so the golf cart or the water taxi (10 min ride) would probably be your best bet. If your scheduling excursions,they will come to the dock and pick you up via boat. Never a problem. There is a small market called Caye Mart next to Paully's Pizza right next door(north).You could pick up items in a pinch ie: water, milk, wine, snacks, razors etc... CM has a great restaurant and right next door south)is Capricorns. We also walked to Rendevoux(far north) one night from CM. It took about 20-25 minutes. It was beautiful that night. No drinking and driving for us. laugh Heres a link that has pictures of our last two vacations at CM's. After viewing the current year, if you click above on the link that says "vacation", you can check out last year too. We took many pictures of the resort. I hope your family enjoys AC as much as you do. Have fun. I am jealous!

http://DrewLori.smugmug.com/gallery/205947/1/7888440

Lori
Christmas and New Year's Festivals are in the center of SP. If you want to be able to participate you might want to stay in town.

You mention cabin fever at CM's. It is North of the River cut and weather will be a factor in your ability to travel to and fro. Most taxi boats don't go out in storms. You could get stuck in town or at CM's, depending on your schedule - or lack of one!

I prefer to stay in town and go North by boat or golf cart at my pleasure!

S
OP Offline
S
well, we are going to be inland on New Years (yes we got it a bit backwards but we are just happy to be in Belize!). THanks for the advice.

how do folks like the accomodations at the Palm? The places look a bit dark like there isn't much light. Or is that just the website?

The Palms is great. Not dark at all. More of a standard hotel atmosphere than at CM but large spacious suites with great balcony or porch overlooking the sea.

C
C
Hello ... your pictures are beautiful!! My sister and I are going to Belize and staying at Captain Morgan's, Oct. 16-23, also via timeshare. I was wondering, which do you prefer, the villa or the thatch? Was that a villa or thatch you stayed in showing the living room and the bedroom with the white comforter?

Originally posted by DrewLori:
sunshine221- we have stayed at Captain Morgans twice. We love it. You are exactly right about it being beautiful and the quintessential vacation spot. They have many different types of rooms so be specific when asking questions. ie: some have televsion some dont (you probably dont want one but some might) Both of our units had good air conditioning but one was better than the other. We travel with two kids and didnt find it difficult to get to and from town. We either take a golf cart or bikes. Your parents, I would assume, dont want to ride bikes so the golf cart or the water taxi (10 min ride) would probably be your best bet. If your scheduling excursions,they will come to the dock and pick you up via boat. Never a problem. There is a small market called Caye Mart next to Paully's Pizza right next door(north).You could pick up items in a pinch ie: water, milk, wine, snacks, razors etc... CM has a great restaurant and right next door south)is Capricorns. We also walked to Rendevoux(far north) one night from CM. It took about 20-25 minutes. It was beautiful that night. No drinking and driving for us. laugh Heres a link that has pictures of our last two vacations at CM's. After viewing the current year, if you click above on the link that says "vacation", you can check out last year too. We took many pictures of the resort. I hope your family enjoys AC as much as you do. Have fun. I am jealous!

http://DrewLori.smugmug.com/gallery/205947/1/7888440

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.