Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#92188 09/28/04 12:13 PM
Compass Offline OP
OP Offline
Any suggestions for sea kayak rentals?

Life is what happens while you are making other plans.
#92189 09/28/04 02:51 PM
I hope you have VERY VERY strong arm muscles.

Are you the person who hasn't been to Belize in 9 yrs?

#92190 09/28/04 03:04 PM
C
C
The Xanadu supplies them for free with their rooms, which to me turned out to be about what they were worth. No negative reflection meant for Xanadu.

The wind continuously blowing from easterly directions at 30 mph gave us much more of a workout than we wanted to endure on vacation and seriously interferred with our rum drinking. One trip out to the reef was enough to convince me. The rest of our reef trips were by motorboat, thank ya.

I assume there are times when the wind doesn't blow, but haven't seen it personally. If so, the kayak would be a great way to snorkle the reefs. You might could paddle out and still have enough energy left to swim.

#92191 09/28/04 03:15 PM
LOL about the story on the trip to the reef. We actually had someone drag our kayak out to a snorkeling area for us with us in the boat, then we jumped in the water and attempted to tie the kayak to this pole, well, hubby was so winded he had to sit in the kayak for 2 hours while I snorkled!!! I thought he was going to have a heart attack! (we are young people too!) Getting in the kayak presented an interesting challenge as well. Glad I wasn't on camera for that one!

#92192 09/28/04 03:24 PM
C
C
For kayaking I would consider the other side of the island (of course you will miss out on the reef, but it might save your arm muscles). Or even one of mainland river tours (rentals?) if you want to go with the flow...

#92193 09/28/04 04:51 PM
Compass Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, yes, I'm the guy that hasn't been to Belize in 9 years! And you're making me think twice about kayaking the reef. I'm no spring chicken but I've done quite a bit of salt water kayaking in Alaska's inland waters. However I realize conditions on Ambergris might make it "do-able" rather than something "fun to do." Thanks for the feedback � Geeze, I don't want to wind up on America's Funniest Videos.

We'll be in Belize 3 weeks of which 8 days will be on Ambergris Caye. How about kayaking in the lagoon? Would it be any fun? How about kayaking other parts of Belize?

#92194 09/29/04 12:30 PM
"I assume there are times when the wind doesn't blow, but haven't seen it personally."

I've seen it and, take my word for it, you don't want to. Every mosquito on the island shows up for their dinner...YOU! eek If you think it's humid with the tradewind just wait 'till there isn't one...oh, brother. :rolleyes:

You people are certainly brave to kayak to the reef. laugh We attempted sea kayaking a few years back in MX and didn't make it 100 yards when we decided it just wasn't much fun...very hard work. I'll just stick with taking the boat! wink

#92195 09/29/04 12:55 PM
yes, there is kayaking in other parts of Belize. Check out www.riverratbelize.com

#92196 09/29/04 02:39 PM
Hey Compass! I too hadn't been to SP in a long while. Went in July 1994 and then in July 2004. WOW what a difference! You are going to be VERY surprised!!! There are actually vehicles on the island now - real taxi's (made of mini-vans) and front street, or whatever it was called, is gone. The size of the ferry has increased by quad. Simply amazing. Thankfully the people are still very nice - this is very attractive. OH, and there will be people and children wandering around selling things. Just say no, unless of course you are in the market. Absolutely everything has a new face except for the Pier Bar (chicken drop place) and the electric co building, if I am not mistaken, hasn't changed. The beach has receded quite a bit, as is to be expected I am sure and there are TONS of piers. I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on AC when you return. Please post them here...

I am so glad you are re-thinking the kayak idea.

#92197 09/29/04 07:38 PM
Compass Offline OP
OP Offline
MALIBU,
I haven't given up on the idea of kayaking in Belize. I'm just looking for the right place. Apparently the reef off AC isn't it.

Barbara K,
The idea of kayaking a jungle river or lagoon looking at (photographing) wildlife sounds intriguing. Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.