Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#93053 10/26/04 04:45 AM
Old Chinese proverb:
Lack of planning on your part does not create an emergency on my part.

#93054 10/26/04 07:24 AM
On our trips to AC we've always had reservations on Tropic. I don't believe we've ever made it on the flight we had reservations for. It seems to me that the flights are filled by whoever makes it to the counter first, first come, first served. If walk-ins get there first, they get the seat. If your flight is filled, you get in line with everyone else. No problem, they make sure everyone gets there. The first time it happened on the first trip, we were a little peeved (wanted to get to AC in daylight) but the view when we did lift off made up for everything. I still get a little antsy when this happens, my first Belikin should be out of a bottle, not a plastic cup. But then, the other option as we're sitting there is still being in Minneapolis in Feb. No contest, island time is a part of the package. Enjoy it.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#93055 10/26/04 08:03 AM
I agree... first of all, even if I was told no reservation is neccessary... why would you even consider going ANYWHERE without a reservation?

For me, the only times I have arrived without a previous reservation was when my trip was very last minute, and I do mean last minute. Even then, there is ALWAYS a way to contact people.

I agree with Bobber.... the minute you land in Belize, you are on island time... personally, I think it's all part of the adventure. eek

#93056 10/26/04 08:06 AM
K
K
I have to second Cracker Larry and Bobber. Last summer 6 of us(with reservations) arrived in San Pedro on 3 different flights, with luggage on 4. It's a little disconcerting to first-time visitors, but I firmly believe they-whether Tropic or Maya- will bend over to get you where you need to be. I've never been on the flight I booked, but always get there w/o worries but always a little sense of amazement

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
#93057 10/26/04 09:41 AM
If you want advice about reservations on an airline, probably ask the airline itself, not a message board.

About "lying" and airlines ......American Airlines, Continental and the rest of those first-world airlines can sell you a full-fare ticket and then tell you they have no seat for you. You have connections to make, and would not have bought a ticket for that particular flight if you really wanted to fly another time or another day. Your trip is all messed up, you are not to blame, but - if you express anger you run the risk of being detained as a possible terrorist.

NOt long ago I bought a ticket on Continental flying to Paris De Gaulle - I had a connection with another flight in DeGaulle. Continental adn another airline combined a couple of flights and landed instead at Orly. NOT a good thing, and not disclosed when we boarded the plane.

A little wait in Belize City (frustrting as it may be)pales in comparison with these events.

#93058 10/26/04 10:20 AM
While we were awaiting our Tropic flight (end of Jan), we saw something a bit out of the ordinary. Maya had been paging a passenger for a flight south, and the passenger didn't answer. He showed up just after the flight left. He was a German kid, maybe late teens early 20's, and had been on the phone to his sister at the destination and didn't hear the page. His flight was the last of the day, he had packed all of his money in his checked luggage (which was on the flight)and was quite at a loss as to what to do. Maya OFFERED to cab him into town, put him up for a night, and get him on the first flight in the morning. I was quite impressed with their handling of the situation.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#93059 10/26/04 11:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
WE took the water taxi - great ride - a whole hour in the sun out on the beautiful sea, a great chat with several locals and considerably cheaper. Left right when they said it would! wink

#93060 10/26/04 11:26 AM
Make reservations........ It's the luck of the draw if you don't.

Only time I had no reservations was going to New Orleans one time, didn't have reservations for hotel. Went to Royal Sonesta around 4 pm, said they were booked but to wait till 5. So we moseyed into the bar for a cocktail, at 5 we checked with the desk. Wait till 6. Moseyed, cocktailed. At 6:10 we were shown to the Presidential Suite, I believe it was the Presidential suite. We payed $79 for a $900 room! Greatest room I ever stayed in!!! Now that payed off!!! eek

#93061 10/26/04 11:27 AM
OOPS, sorry hijacked.... Fingers go away from me...

#93062 10/26/04 03:32 PM
A
Aeriel Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I forgot to mention that the other couple that was with us HAD reservations for the plane trip to AC. This was their 7th trip, but always used Tropic. They said that they wouldn't use Maya again! They didn't like being lied to, either.

We couldn't eat or have a drink while waiting because everything was closed. That was a very creepy time. We didn't know if we would be stranded w/o a flight to AC because we kept being told different things.

We didn't know that 2:30 was the last flight into Belize City airport. How would we know that?

I have worked in a customer service job for years. I don't expect to be lied to by anyone. I'm more trusting, because I wouln't lie to a customer.

We have traveled to many 3rd world countries and had only 1 bad experience with an airline.

My husband has been to AC 3 times and I have been there 2 times. We have always used Tropic air. If we come again, guess which airlines we'll use????

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.