Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
OP Offline
T
Not much exciting there unless you are a diver - especially for kids. Just got back and was rather disappointed at the cost of things and the way we felt like we were always being taken advantage of - I think the locals have discovered "tourists" and are making the best of it. We felt ripped off several times. Would tell us one price (always assumed it was in Belize $$ - because we were told to assume this) then conveniently, once the excursion or item was done all of the sudden it was US $$ - which is DOUBLE! This happened often - from the taxi drivers, to the boat trips, etc... Can only "assume" the food is in Belize! Wouldn't go back because of this! Also - if you don't dive - don't go. NO good place to swim right off shore, and everything costs an arm and leg!

I'll bet most of us have been a victim at one time or another regardless where your are or what your are doing. We get over it, we learn from it and we move on. As a senior citizen on a VERY limited income who doesn't dive or jungle trek, I have always been treated fairly in Belize. I go there for down time and to get some writing done. In fact, as soon as I can get my place sold, I'm moving in, to Belize that is.
Sorry you and your children weren't entertainted or charged the way you felt you should have been.

C
C
Interesting message. Hmmm. Funny how two people can look at the same thing and see two different things. Some thoughts.......

You really think they've discovered tourists? I was hoping they hadn't noticed us yet:-)

My son would be happy for ever with a fishing rod and snorkel gear

Lobster with all the trimmings is cheaper than a meal at a US Burger King. We found prices to be very reasonable, considering where it is.

We booked all our trips through the Xanadu and there were no surprises. The prices were posted on the wall.

Now the taxi drivers, I got to agree with you, we never paid the same fare twice and the rates were anywhere from $3 to $12 US for the same ride. The rates seemed to change based on the number of women and children riding around with the driver. But heck, everybody has to make a living.

You cannot be a victim unless you allow yourself to be. It is a state of mind.

If you feel this way about Belize, I strongly recommend you don't go to Jamaica. They have developed taking advantage of tourists to an art form.

S
S
Sorry to hear about your trip. I've never had a problem in Belize, but I don't take many "excersions" or taxis. I hope that ripping off tourists does not become a trend on our small island because it could/would quickly affect an already fragile economy.

I went to AC in October and am going back in six days. I found prices to be very reasonable. The Mayan Princess is only $110 for an ocean front suite with a balcony and kitchenette. Breakfast at Rubie's was only $3.50US. Dinner at the Reef was only $12.00US. Beer at BC's was only $1.50US. I do not know were you normally go on vacation but I do not find these prices to be that high.

Never used a taxi so I can not comment on those exeriences. It seems that over most the world, taxi fares are very inconsistant to say the least.

Every tour operator that I looked at posted their prices in US dollars. I can see some of the smaller, not soo well known operators, quoting you in Belizian and charging you US. If you stick with a well known and respected operator those kind of things should not happen.

A good lesson to learn is to ALWAYS ask: "is that BZ or US?" ALways, Always, Always... even in other countries

You should not expect a driver to tell you if it's BZ or US... you need to learn that it is YOU that must ask.

Tarainmt - you never said where in Belize you were. Were you on Ambergris Caye?

A thousand reports from tourist....98% good---2% bad.....You do the MATH....Nuff said. laugh laugh laugh

John
Hey Johnboy!!!!!!!!!!! How are ya? Been makin' lots of money to go back to AC? How was your latest visit? Experience any bad tourist traps?

M
M
I understand on vacations some things do go wrong, the last time I was in Belize someone slipped a case of Belikin into my drink.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 278 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.