Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jfabes Offline OP
OP Offline
I desperately want to take a trip to AC, the only problem is that none of my friends are interested in going to AC. So I plan on making a solo trip to AC and it will be my first visit there. Since I will be going solo I figure I could make it more affordable if I stay in one of the cheaper lodges like Rubies or Lily's. Does anyone have experience with any of the cheaper hotels in San Pedro?

I plan on taking a day trip to dive the blue hole and want to dive or snorkel shark ray alley and the hol chan reserve. Other than that I guess most of my time will be spent wandering around SP and the various outlying resorts and checking out their beaches and drinking. So I guess my questions is, would a solo trip to AC be exciting/fun? Or am I setting myself up for a disappointment by going to AC by myself? Also how much $ should I expect to spend on food/drinks for a 7 night stay in SP?

Any other tips or advice are more than welcome smile

I don't know why a solo trip wouldn't be fun. The people are friendly and will make you feel right at home. Didn't find any unfriendly tourists either. There is just something about that little island that makes everyone grin from ear to ear.

For snorkel/diving look up Tulu. He's a ton of fun. A search of the archives will find you his phone numbers or just ask anyone after you get there. He is well known. No info on other tour guides; he's the only one we used.

Can't help with the hotel question but am sure someone else will.

Money on food and drink is going to depend on where you eat & how much you drink. wink Seems drinks averaged about $10BZ [we mixed our own most of the time] Food was anywhere from $5BZ at the park vendors to $35BZ for the bbq's and the eveing meal at Elvi's. It will get higher at the more upscale restaurants.

Your gain is your friends loss. They don't know what they will be missing.

The best tip I have is to pack the watch away while waiting for the hopper, put on a big grin, have a rum punch, get on island time and soon as your feet hit AC kick off the shoes. And pack half of what you think you'll need!

I
I
Dear Jfabes, I agree, if you are friendly, you will make friends everywhere you go. I think your US friends will be sorry that they did not accompany you. I have made life long friends on many of my trips. It is the reason I have to send so many Christmas cards in December.
I personally can't wait to hear all about your trip. When do you leave? laugh

S
S
I've been to San Pedro several times solo and had a blast. You will be adopted by fellow travelers and locals alike within days.

As for hotels. I've stayed at both Lily's and Ruby's. They are both nice, clean, cheap places to lay your head. I recall Lily's being a little quieter.

Food and drink can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. You can find a Belikin at most places for about $1.50us and a really, really high end dinner for $20.00us. I sware by the vendor food in the park though. It can be as cheap as $2.00 for a big burrito.

Hey jfabes, I was just there for the first time in November. I went solo and I had a blast. I met may people who were vistors and many more who are from the Caye. The locals are very accommodating, friendly and helpful.

I stayed at San Telmo, right on the beach and I'm returning again in March. Once you get there, it's island time, relax and things start falling into place.

I did a full day dive trip w/ Amigos Del Mar, they were excellent. The Blue Hole is a quick deep dive, nothing spectacular except it a deep dive and something different to do. The other dives were throughout the Lighthouse Reef including lunch on Half Moon Caye. The diving around the reef is incredible, be sure to bring an underwater camera (make sure you have powerful lighting to pick up the colors).

I brought a lot of cash and a major credit card as a back up. I never had to use my card and like streetchie says, it could be either way. Just depends on what you like and what you want to experience. All the food is good (don't eat beef though). Look at other post as to what to bring. You want to pack light, but if you forgot something, you may very well find it at one of the markets in town, but you'll pay a lot more than in States. If you intend to go diving and maybe other excursions, that is where you'll spend most of your money. An all day dive out to Lighthouse Reef (including the Blue Hole) is between $185.00 to $225.00. A trip to Lamania is between $85.00 to $125.00. Look at the other links to get an idea about pricing for excursions.

You'll have a blast. And bring a lot of good bug spray (100% DEET).

I am leading a group trip from Houston, TX in April and spending 4 nights on AC and then 3 nights in Caves Branch. We an excellant group going and may be able to include you with our group. Prices and itinerary are on our website at www.houstonscubaacademy.com

Theo
Houston Scuba Academy
713 721 7788
http://www.houstonscubaacademy.com
Made my first solo trip to S.P.in 1990 & stayed at Rubies,Had best time of my life. Stayed there on two other solo trips, for the price I thought it was great. Right on the beach, nice balcony to relax and chat with other guests & just enjoy the view. Stayed at Lili's 2wks. solo and liked it better because of air conditioning & fridge,Better location almost center of town, rent about twice as much as Rubies.
I really met some interesting people at Rubies, If you want to save a few bucks you'll have a blast at Rubies!!
Blue Hole all day trip is about $175US, two tank local $50-60US.
You can spend as little or as much as you like eating, just depends how many rum punches you drink a day. Going to San Pedro on 29 Jan 05 for 15 days, staying at the Blue Tang, bringing my wife so must upgrade, she probably wouldn't stay at Rubies. LOL.
You will have a great time in San Pedro. Going alone or going with others, San Pedro is so great- you will have fun. Can't think of a better place to go alone!!

J
J
HI went solo and got a great package at the conch shell hotel a REAL BASIC hotel, fan bed shower but 400 bucks for 7 nites included 5 days 2 tank dives with amigoes del mar and i had a blast!! it is right at amigoes pier and so the location is perfect and there is two local take away joints on the 'alley' that have great breakfasts and lunches for under 4 bucks...check it out beach chairs and upstairs have deck chairs and 'balcony' but definitely no frills but great location and prices john in denver

L
L
Just returned from a solo trip to AC. I asked the same question you asked. It was incredibly fun. Tourist and locals alike are very fun and very friendly. I rarely even ate dinner by myself. Went out to local hangouts on my own with not problems.

Can't say enough about how great the place is and how warm the people are. GO HAVE FUN!!! I can't wait to return.

Liz

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.