Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95802 01/13/05 05:19 PM
C
Caddis Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have been reading through the archives of this site and have gained a lot of insite, that said I still have a few questions regarding flats fishing with a fly rod. I am planning on hiring a guide early on then trying to fish on my own. This is my first time flats fishing so I belive I would like to focus on bonefish rather than suffer the apparent rejection that comes with permit. I do fish quite a bit on Idaho's and Montana's rivers so I am not new to fly fishing, just flats fishing.

Does moon phase have any great effect on catching fish? I will be on Ambergris Apr 2-9 which is waning half to new moon. Here in Idaho that is good news, full moon is bad. Also, is there times of the day when it is more productive than others (i.e., tides or sun position) and are there absolute dead times not to waste my time?

I have read in the archives of a few recommended guides but much of that information is more than one year old. Any current recommendations and contact information for those guides would be greatly appreciated.

#95803 01/13/05 06:12 PM
caddis I fish here every month ,with capt bicho fishingsanpedro.com I think best of class here and there are some good ones , I can tell you tide,full moon ,affect the reef fish more than the bone fish ,there are lots of bone fish here ,wind will be a factor as well as cold weather , lots rain,to much fresh water ,murky water , from lots of run off .and no sun. and overcast can be another story at times??? but the fishing in flats here is just super you can have action packed with a great guide .flats not my thing but when I go with capt bicho I have a ball one after the other,not on fly but on spin.have never done fly .can say we always see lots of tailing bone fish, some huge schools and some permit , not a lot and some big and small tarpon , lots of cuda 's galore. e mail [email protected] and ask the master your question?? he will give you some weather,tide moon info.. on whats hot and whats not.. tight lines to you and good fishing..

Living The Dream Every Day!
#95804 01/13/05 10:06 PM
Hi Caddis! I just went flats fishing last week with Abby Marin located on the beach just before the cut.It was great.He used 6-8lb test,long invisible leader and live minnows which he caught while we were out there.We silently poled into the mangroves and casted for and caught black snapper,red snapper,inland snook,a barracuda which got away,and bonefish.The peace and wildlife around us was as good as the fishing!

#95805 01/14/05 01:57 PM
K
K
Caddis: I've fished the flats around AC for the last 5 or 6 years and haven't noticed any moonphase effect on bonefish. I do have to admit to knowing little about the moon and not really paying attention other than to look at it on the way out to fish. I did notice some particularly strong tides last august, but couldn't tell you the moonphase. Although the tide was strong the actual water flux is only inches, not feet. The only effect it did have was that it required heavier flies. The bonefish are so plentiful and willing that I doubt it matters. The Capt. is right that weather,esp. wind is a bigger factor. Just one other comment, and that is,a DIY trip will be tough. Do yourself a favor and hire a guide for as many days as possible. Their rates are reasonable(cheap compared to florida) and most I've fished with are very good.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
#95806 01/14/05 03:28 PM
G
G
Caddis, If you are interested you could email me. My wife and I have had a home north of San Pedro for about 3 and 1/2 years. I lke to flyfish also. I would be happy to share what I have learned the hard way about bonefishing which isn't much. Email me if you would like.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.