Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#96066 01/18/05 10:23 PM
O
OP Offline
O
I've read several posts about the awesome snorkling trips, and my husband and I are really interested in going next week when we're in the area. I'm prone to motion sickness, however, and I'd hate to get sick on the boat. Are the seas likely to be rough this time of year? I plan to bring Dramamine, ginger capsules 200mg, and other things to prevent motion sickness, so I'm thinking by using those and watching what I eat and drink that day, I'll be ok. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurement here. Thanks in advance!

#96067 01/18/05 11:46 PM
snorkling inside the reef is pretty mellow, unless it's really windy, you should have no problem getting out there at all and even then, its not bad at all

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#96068 01/19/05 12:05 PM
D
D
The other motion sickness antidote that people sometimes forget is when on the boat to keep your eyes on the horizon as much as possible. It keeps your eyes and inner ear in agreement as to what movement is occurring, and thus limits motion sickness. I am fairly prone to motion sickness myself, and the one time I got motion sick on a snorkeling trip was in Costa Rica where we were on a boat with an upper sitting deck and being the fool I am I went to sit up there where the motion of the boat was amplified. You'll be fine.

#96069 01/19/05 12:16 PM
S
S
I get seasick a lot which is a real drag since I'm an avid scubadiver. The thing that has worked the best for me has been scopolamine patches. It's a prescription med in the form of a quarter-sized adhesive patch that you put behind your ear the nite before you need it. It's solved my problem almost completely. They're supposed to be good for a couple days, but I find that they tend to fall off after a hot shower, so I end up using one a day.

#96070 01/19/05 12:37 PM
C
C
Agree that Scop patches are the most effective prevention. My wife gets sea sick something awful. One night off the Tortugas I tied her to the boat to keep her from climbing overboard and drowning herself. Another night in the Bahamas I took a gun away from her to keep her from shooting herself, and tied her down again. Since she discovered Scopolomine both of our lives have been better! No more suicidal episodes. Years of operating a charter boat has taught me that nothing works better. I did have a sea sick prone mate for a couple years that swore by the accupressure wrist band and have heard others say it works, but I am sceptical.

Doggums tips are also good. Focus on the horizon, keep your mind occupied on something besides being sick. The stern of most powerboats will have the least motion. Sit as far back and as low as you can. Don't go in the cabin or up on the bridge. Don't drink excessively the night before and avoid a large greasy breakfast.

#96071 01/21/05 05:47 PM
If you take a fast boat [quite likely] then take ear plugs or a hood to protect your ears or you will feel like a wind tunnel experiment gone amuck!

#96072 01/22/05 10:45 PM
K
K
A friend of mine swears by this, I am not kidding. Take two band-aids, put them crosswise over your navel and you will be fine! My remedy is a bottle of Magnum, possibly because it is loaded with vitamin B!

#96073 01/23/05 10:51 AM
I'm fine on a boat, but I got seasick the first time I tried snorkeling in Costa Rica. I got sick while in the water. I was a little afraid to swim in the Pacific and used a life jacket. I felt like a buoy bobbing around. Then, once I got sick, I couldn't stop getting sick on the boat.

#96074 01/23/05 10:52 AM
what a breakfast time visual :rolleyes:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#96075 01/27/05 09:32 AM
O
OP Offline
O
Okay, stay inside the reef, look beyond the horizon, bring ear plugs, bandaids, scope patches, and cross all finger/toes. Thanks guys for the tips!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.