Re: Snorklers & Divers #97278
02/11/05 09:55 PM
02/11/05 09:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
Red light frequencies disappear rapidly as you descend which is why everything looks blue. The flash (internal or external) restores them. So flash should radically improve the colours. Once you use flash, though, the detritis in the water ahead of the lens becomes highlighted, so it becomes even more important to get very close to your subject.

Re: Snorklers & Divers #97279
02/12/05 06:18 AM
02/12/05 06:18 AM
Some times there, some times h...
CHOOCHOO Offline
CHOOCHOO  Offline
klc,

Thanks for the info. It looks like I can bring SWMBO's underwater photography into the 21st century for about $700. (Small price to pay for someone who has to put up with me on a daily basis.) Make a great Valentine's Day present, much better than the three day old, discounted flowers as usual.

Re: Snorklers & Divers #97280
02/12/05 11:22 AM
02/12/05 11:22 AM
Rockport, Maine
klcman Offline
klcman  Offline
my pleasure.....when will she post pics??? laugh

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Re: Snorklers & Divers #97281
02/12/05 11:39 AM
02/12/05 11:39 AM
NC/ BZ
G
GailM Offline
GailM  Offline
G
Good Points, P2
I have an underwater non digital (which I hate), also have an older Olympus Camedia 720 (just too big) so I don't know where to go next. I was checking out other underwater cameras (or housing) but honestly, the best UW pics I took were because the conditions were right (as P2 state) and taken with a disposable. And this is not a plug for my website, but check the coral on my banner.

Re: Snorklers & Divers #97282
02/13/05 09:35 AM
02/13/05 09:35 AM
Houston, TX, USA
charliec Offline

charliec  Offline
I used a Cannon S200 Elph with the corresponding underwater case and was very satisfied with my pictures. I should note that I'm a snorkler, not a diver, and was just looking for vacation snapshots (as opposed to professional results).

When you take pictures underwater (as others have noted) you will lose the red portion of the spectrum. I used Adobe Photoshop LE (free software that came with my camera) to adjust the photos and it really made a difference. I just used the "Auto Levels" feature (I know that Photoshop experts will scoff at Auto Levels but they worked for me!).

If you want to check out my pictures (both underwater and not) check out my web site and click on the Belize link on the left. Underwater pictures are (mostly) on Days 2, 3 and 6. You will need to go past the first page of pictures to see most of the underwater ones.

On one of the pages I even have a "before" and "after" picture showing the image quality before using Photoshop and the image after to give you an idea of the difference.

The hardest thing was taking pictures of fish. You have to get pretty close to the fish to get a good shot (at least with my camera!) and fish, for some reason, don't want to let you get too close. Plus, most consumer digital cameras have a delay between pressing the shutter button and when the shot actually takes so the fish would often swim out of the frame before the picture actually took.

My best advice for whatever camera you get is that you practice, practice, practice with it before you go on vacation. Make sure you are comfortable with getting the camera in and out of the housing and that you know all the controls. Also, when you get to Belize, don't hesitate to practice some more off your hotel's pier before you take the camera out to an important snorkal/dive site. You don't want to waste precious time learning your camera when you should be enjoying your vacation.

Oh, yeah. Make sure your camera has fresh batteries before you go on a snorkal/dive trip. Nothing sucks worse (well, nothing in this context) than running out of juice in the middle of a dive. So buy at least two batteries and alternate them.

Also note that the S200 is an older camera and is only 2 Megapixels. Plus, the images on the web site are reduced in size and quality to improve loading.

My Web Page.

Re: Snorklers & Divers #97283
02/14/05 04:24 PM
02/14/05 04:24 PM
New York
evening Offline

evening  Offline
another suggestion - put one of those tube shaped dessicant packs wherever it will fit between the housing and camera (but not block viewfinder or buttons). Completely prevents fogging.

and additional batteries are key - especially for day trips

Re: Snorklers & Divers #97284
03/12/05 12:01 PM
03/12/05 12:01 PM
Rockport, Maine
klcman Offline
klcman  Offline
Chooch ----

how'd the little lady like her present?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Re: Snorklers & Divers #97285
03/12/05 06:18 PM
03/12/05 06:18 PM
oklahoma
R
rumncoke Offline

rumncoke  Offline
R
I've heard that sealing your camera in a freezer baggie before leaving your room and letting it adjust to the outside enviroment before removing it would prevent condensation. Anyway, I tried it last year on my first trip with a waterproof housing and my old Canon A70(no more disposables where you don't know what you got until its developed) in Bonaire and didn't have any problems.

Re: Snorklers & Divers #97286
03/16/05 07:13 PM
03/16/05 07:13 PM
S
SeniorSally Offline

SeniorSally  Offline
S
I've started diving late in life. I seem to be OK once I get under the water but get freaky when on the surface. I loved Hol Chun because I could go in from a standing position in the shallow area. I did Hol Chun three times in a week...I suppose I should find other shallow areas to dive from as well...any suggestions for my next visit? Thanx.

Re: Snorklers & Divers #97287
03/16/05 08:09 PM
03/16/05 08:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
I can think of other shallow areas but no other one where you can dive from a standing position.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (bobcat bill), 119 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,279
Posts490,575
Members19,957
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.