Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#99488 03/21/05 02:40 PM
N
Nolita Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Getting ready to go to SP in three weeks. I will be staying in a beach house which would require buying some foodstuff for the week stay. Two adults, one soon to become adult and one teen. Should we bring some of our favorite stuff with us ... cereal, coffee, you know the regular dried stuff ... or is it all there in the store ready for purchase ... and how are prices.

#99489 03/21/05 02:48 PM
S
S
Check our order form at http://www.lagniappe-belize.com/order.htm and you'll get an idea of what items are readily available on the island. Other items come and go but the ones we have listed are usually available on a daily basis. There is a mark-up on our prices over the cost in the grocery stores but not by much in most cases (we do have to make a living) and that will give you an idea of costs.

Cheers,

Simon...

#99490 03/21/05 04:04 PM
We used Simon's grocery service when we were there last year and it was sure handy having all our goodies there at the condo when we arrived. It was a bit more expensive, but so worth not having to go shopping on arrival and lug water, soda and beers from the store - instead were able to partake of Belikins immediately! smile

#99491 03/21/05 04:53 PM
Mmmmmmm, Belikins immediately!

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#99492 03/21/05 05:02 PM
I'm not familiar with the delivery services mentioned above. Sounds like they'd be good for a large order though....

Where's the house located? If it's north of the hand ferry, I think the delivery option would be a great idea. South of the ferry you have a couple of decent grocery options. San Pedro Market is in the Del Rio area on the north end of town - off Middle Street. Island Supermarket is south of the airstrip a couple of blocks. It's also across the street from the Belikin and Coca Cola distributor. Buying the beverages from the distributor will save a lot compared to purchasing in the stores�. If they deliver to the area you're staying in, the delivery is made on a flat bed trailer pulled by a John Deere tractor. Where in the states can you see that?

Whether or not you use a provision service, you owe it to yourself to personally shop in a grocery store. It's a memorable experience.

You probably won't find all of the staples that you might want, but, you won't starve either. We've had mixed results in buying cereal on the island. Usually it's been fine, but, a couple of times the cereal was stale. There are a few places in town with a good selection of produce - I'm more familiar with the one on the ocean side of Middle Street near the south end of town. They're good and they also sell fresh squeezed OJ and they'll also shred fresh coconut for you. I've never been impressed with the selection or quality of meats in the stores - do a search on the board; maybe someone has better information than I do for meat. But, I've seen a number of posts regarding bringing in steaks, etc. for BBQ's.

Prices are going to be significantly higher in Belize than in the states. Products imported from Mexico, Denmark or New Zealand are generally less expensive than their US counterparts.

In my opinion, it's not worth schlepping a lot of groceries with you. Belize is very casual, so you can pack light. The adage of taking out half of what you initially put in your suitcase holds true. Why fill it up with groceries?

Take the teens with you shopping - they'll get a kick out of it. And, if the bottomless pits end up needing extra munchies, the night time vendors near the park are always cheap and good.

Have fun!

#99493 03/21/05 06:57 PM
What do you do with the shredded coconut? I'm always looking for cooking ideas.

Also, does anyone know why so much of the butter comes from New Zealand?

#99494 03/21/05 07:02 PM
My wife likes making coconut cream pie with fresh coconuts, but I've always had a weakness for the shredded coconut by itself.

#99495 03/21/05 07:05 PM
S
S
Not sure why it comes from there but it's damn good butter!

For shredded coconut try

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/find/results?search=shredded+coconut&x=12&y=8

(one of my favourite sites)

#99496 03/21/05 07:07 PM
S
S
Here's one that you can get all the ingredients for at Greenhouse:

MAHI-MAHI CEVICHE WITH JALAPENOS AND COCONUT
Ceviche de Dorado con Chile Jalapeño y Coco

The fish is marinated in fresh lime juice (and therefore partly "cooked").

1 pound mahi-mahi fillets, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick strips
1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
4 jalapeño chiles, seeded; 2 minced, 2 thinly sliced
1/4 cup toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Saltine crackers (change to Annie's Tortilla Chips)

Combine fish, lime juice, and oregano in large glass bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Chill until fish turns opaque, stirring occasionally, about 50 minutes.

Strain almost all lime juice from fish; return fish to bowl. Stir in onion, minced and sliced jalapeños, coconut, and cilantro. Season with salt. Chill at least 20 minutes and up to 2 hours. Serve in Martini glasses. Pass crackers separately.

Makes 6 first-course servings.

Bon Appétit
May 2003

#99497 03/21/05 09:41 PM
Nolita
Depending on your 'needs/must haves' you may want to consider bringing some things from home. For example, while they don't travel well, potatoe chips tend to be very pricey, in Belize. Also cookies.. but there are some amazing cookie chocolate bars that are not bad in price (we got them at Island Supermarket - which does tend to be a pricy place, but super clean and more like the markets in the US). I would probably bring the cereal, especially if your gang is big cereal eaters. Coffee from the US is pricy but the local coffee is a decent price and good too.. smile Personally I would not worry about bringing meat.. legally you require a permit (time and money involved) and when you consider that you can eat quite cheaply there at the restaurants and street vendors or BC's bar, it's not worth it. Besides, you are in the Caribbean.. cool sample the fish, conch and shrimps!! (Sorry, you missed lobster season!). It is much easier these days to get decent meat in SP.
You would probably do well to support Simon's business and avoid the hassel of stocking up yourself, but as others have noted, the shopping if part of the adventure, especially if you visit the smaller Mom and Pop stores. Hey, get Simon to buy the bulk and you just window shop for yourself to enjoy the adventure. The Bakery (two locations) is a must also.. Celi's deli is great for light snack type things.. The small restaurant in Vilma Linda Plaza (can't for the life of me remember the name of it..) has good food too..
Cold drinks waiting (both adult (Belikin) and non adult (soda pops)in the fridge waiting can't be beat... :p

Whatever you decide, you won't starve and/or go without..

Have a wonderful holiday and we'll see you next year.. Gail cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.