Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#99689 03/25/05 09:25 AM
R
robino Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Any problems with eating the food or drinking the water? Do most of the resorts have filtered water or should I be drinking only bottled water? Is there anything I should be careful with or avoid? I typically have a sensitive stomach and am subject to the runs whenever I travel outside the US. Any feedback is much appreciated.

The food is fine, the water is fine. The water does have a high chlorine content which gives it an unappealing taste. Great for impromptu washing out of the tidy whiteys though, no bleach needed. Because of the taste bottled water is widely used. At the grocery, about $1.25USD a gallon

Generally the water here does not effect visitors. It comes from a de-sal plant. Many people rather drink bottled water because the town water has a large amount of chlorine.

Some resorts have their own systems. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I would recomend you avoid the food street vendors if you have a sensitive stomach.

MMM!! All of the food is great, and I have never met anyone who got sick. EVEN the fast food places in the park are great!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I amn normally pretty sensitive to any food bugs around, and I have eaten at most of the fast food vendors in "the Park" with no hint of any ill effects. As to water, though, if you run the tap water through a good filter you may be horrified at what's in there. I started doing that, which is when I switched to bottled water. It's not expensive either - obviously smaller containers cost more per pint than larger ones, but a 5 gallon container costs around US$2:50.

In any climate such as this you should always ensure you have current protection for Hepatitis A & B, but you're probably less at risk here than in most other destinations with similar climate.

pedro2,

Yup, not much different than what you find floating around in Czar, one of the Belizean produced vodkas. On the other hand, the vodka by it's very nature tends to render the "floaties" quite harmless. Over the years a trip through a coffee filter has proven quite effective and provided our less descerning companions with a taste of Belizean "clear" distilled spirits. Me, I'll take the Lerska and leave the filters in the cabinet.

No problems with the food or water with us. I drank tap water without even thinking about it with no ill results. Hubby has a sensitive stomach and had no problems. One of our best meals came from the park vendors. Here's a little tip: stand back and watch to see where the locals are ordering from. You can bet it will be good food.

R
robino Offline OP
OP Offline
R
thanks everybody for your personal and quick respones!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 137 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.