AmbergrisCaye.com Home

capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report

Posted By: captjeff

capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/16/03 04:19 PM

hi to all. the capt.just got back from another super duper ,trip weather timed perfect sun .every day was there 4/8 to 4/13 capt jeff went out for three days with his buddy becho and his son becho jr,we do 7 to 12 5 hrs is plenty of time ,.we went south past ho chan cut out to the outer reef ,water was calm one day a little choppy two days grouper ,yellow tail snapper ,jacks ,trigger fish were on the bite.fished with live bait and had huge catches of fish ,we only keep what we need to eat .and only the big fish ,not spawning ,used light spin tackle ,I had a ball ,lost a lot of huge fish as we use only 20 lb test max ,some big cudas and large sharks decided .to say hello,and stripped off line as well as large somethings??? also stopped in to make life interesting ,action galore this is a true fishing paradise ,with wonderful people ,and very cheap rates on the trip cost half or more than the states ,will report on my may trip,next month lets talk food food and more food my new find was my old find lagniappe restaurant reopened in the center of town across the fidos next to bellicolor photo ,dan and tree andre are the owners they had there restaurant in the sun diver resort just moved it to town where senor lobster called home all I can say is wow ,and wow and more wow the owners are very personable come out and hang with there customers there open for lunch and dinner cajun carribean style with a gourmet flair .gumbo soup from new orleans to die for great fresh made burger with home made potato salad ,and the list goes on dinner had usda filet,with a fabulous sauce,the meat you could have cut with a spoon ,limted menu,if not fresh ,for the day they do not serve ,nice jazz trio on the weekend ,nice cozzy bar ,with outstanding salsa ,cold brew and nice owners ,worth the trip went there for lunch 3 times dinner twice ,you got to try this place tell them capt jeff sent you ,so I can get a free beer only kidding ,my rating 5 stars my highest rating ,gourmet in paradise. Remember Capt. Jeff sends water back 3 times, so if i rate it 5 stars than it is 5 stars. My best of the best so far.
Posted By: seashell

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/16/03 04:33 PM

Capt. Jeff, is this the award winning restaurantier guy that had been located at Sundiver for a short time? Just left a couple of months ago? If so, yeah, I'll recommend them too. Best food I ever had in Belize. What is the name of their restaurant and where are they located?

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/16/03 05:10 PM

seashell the name of the restaurant is lagniappe right in center of town in a little courtyard ,on the main street across from fidos you can not miss it and yes same owners tree and dan wonderful folks sweet nice ,great chef in dan ,great hostess in tree

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/16/03 05:34 PM

Damn, if I'd only known.

I knew they'd left Sundiver but no one told me they had reopened. I did see the restaurant as I walked down the street a few times and I wondered about it, but never went in. Damn, if I'd only known.

For sure, after a person has been in San Pedro for a while, they can start to crave a burger, a good burger like you could get at home. So, you order one from them and what do you get? One better than you could have got at home. MMmmmm, heaven.

I couldn't even figure out what he'd done to make it so good. Didn't seem to be anything really special about it other than the taste, and the potatoe salad was to die for. I asked what he'd put in it and it was nothing special either. Must be the way he holds the spoon or something. hee hee Delicious!!

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/16/03 05:43 PM

seashell the burger is so big ,and is made fresh ,got there one day at 10 min to two all the home made burgers where gone sold out ???had home made buritto fabulous the best ,,,can not wait to go back goimg back may 3 to 9
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/16/03 08:51 PM

I'll vouch for the above. Gumbo bowl at $8 BZ is a great buy. I'm not into spicy so ordered an extra rice bowl to tame it down. PERFECT!
Tree (Pronounced Tray) has a flair for table decorations. She uses brightly colored sarongs on the tables. They keep the place very clean, which is no easy task, being on dusty Front Street. There is a side entrance on Pelican Drive that was cobbled while I was there last. Be careful; Pelican is one way from Middle Street to Front Street and it is hard to see the signs.
I didn't try their burger but I believe you. However, I must add that Mel (who opened and ran Wet Willy's) has opened a new place called IT! (as in Belize IT wink ) and advertise as the best burger on the island. Until I try the one at Dan and Tree's I have to agree with IT!
At the same time I need to mention the Lime Soup at Caliente's—TO DIE FOR !
BTW: How does one pronounce the name of the restaurant and what does it mean?
Harriette
Posted By: ChrisW

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/16/03 09:11 PM

Caliente means warm in Spanish and I would guess that it is pronounced Cal-yen-tay, but my Spanish is a bit rusty...

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/16/03 09:31 PM

scubba ldy if your talking about lagniappe it means a little something extra,,,,in cajun /french ??it tells it all ,also dan said to me one day on monday nights there are thinking of a bar b que night since the grill is there .and they do some grilling on it any way .would like dans mouthwatering ribs about now ...would like the healthy start lunch right now,gumbo ,chips salsa chesse bacon burger,home made pot salad ,and of course a diet coke yum yum yum back to the gym
Posted By: booboo

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 01:05 AM

Hi Capt. Jeff,

Glad you had such a great time. I'm living vicariously through your fishing report. I can't wait to get there and check it out for myself.
Hey, did you leave any fish for us?
BooBoo
Posted By: B_b_f_b

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 01:37 AM

Nice report Capt. I'm checking out this restaurant. It seems after a couple of days with stewed chicken, my body does crave a burger. Thanks again for the report.

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 01:36 PM

boo boo you will catch your fill of reef fish ,when are you going ????? when I was there 4/8 to 13 they where on a feed ,some had eggs and where ready to spawn ,we released lots of fish .and we hooked some huge critters we did not land ,let me know how you did .the wheather plays a big factor in the catch ,wind speed ,moon tide ,and how many beers you had the night before ?????????????????????,

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 01:50 PM

b b f b try this place for lunch and dinner the conch fritters have chunks of conch ,with a little kick in the side of sauce,but not too spicy ,had them for my first taste of the place ,fell in love .on my 5 star list could take this wonderful couple to n.y open a restuarant and get rich with them .but I think thats not there style ,they like the Island ,and love the people ,and are happy campers together ,they say if you love what you do you will never work a day in you life ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Posted By: SimonB

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 03:48 PM

Here's the official version of the pronunciation and meaning of Lagniappe (right off the T-Shirt):

la-gniappe
(LAN-yap)

n. Chiefly Southern Louisiana & Mississippi
A small gift given a customer by a merchant at the time of purchase; broadly: something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure.

[Louisiana French, from American Spanish la ņapa,the gift : la, the (from Latin illa, feminine of ille, that, the; see al-1 in Indo-European roots)+ ņapa (variant of yapa, gift, from Quechua, from yapay, to give more).]

"We picked up one excellent word" wrote Mark Twain in Life on the Mississppi (1883), "a word worth travelling to New Orleans to get; a nice limber, expressive, handy word --'lagniappe.'

Cheers,

Simon...

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 04:07 PM

simon I stand corrected,Iwill pick up a shirt ,if it comes in my xxl.but a little something extra is as close as I can get ,to the translation ,Ineed a few beers ,and a bowl of gumbo to do better ...have a great day and a good easter ,see you soon ,yours ...the capt,jeff
Posted By: River Shark

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 04:25 PM

Great report Capt,

I hope our fishing is a as productive in May. I'd like to hook something really big - what a rush, even if we have to cut it loose.
Thanks for the food report. Sounds like we are going to enjoy ourselves too much.
Looking forward to meeting you, see you soon.

The Shark
Posted By: Chucklebutt

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 04:47 PM

Capt...what's the name of the place with the Conch fritters?

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 06:05 PM

river shark we will do even better ,who is going on the 5 of may is your honey going ??? some one else on the bord wanted to go ,I need to look up her name ???? bc bar bar b que on the 4 for shure what time for the feast ??? I will get there early to get pole position ,lets keep in touch yours the capt,

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 06:09 PM

chucklebutt,the name of the place is lagniappe across from fidos in a little cove cool place gret food ,check out the fritters ,,,,,super duper ,very good yours the capt,,,,,
Posted By: River Shark

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 06:17 PM

Hey Capt,

The wife wants to go if we aren't going to be out all day.

As for the BBQ, you get pole position and we'll be there as soon as we can. We'll tell the DMs we need to be back early for the BBQ - nothing a little tip can't fix.

The Shark

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 06:42 PM

we will go half day like 7 to 12 or we could leave at 8 am to 1 .we need to see the wheather conditions ,the tide ,the moon ,the beer in the box ,only kidding ,we can fish 4 people max we have 3 now he will charge 30 us more for 4 people or 15 more for 3 people comes to like 63 per person for 3 or 50 person for 4 real cheap that inc soda ,water , and 2 beers per person if you drink ,plus the tip we will have a great time his son baits the hooks takes off the fish cleans the catch ,does it all .some times when the water is clear you can see the fish in the back of the boat ,swiming around ,or a cuda chase a fish next to you bait than bite your bait wow great action

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/17/03 06:43 PM

we will go half day like 7 to 12 or we could leave at 8 am to 1 .we need to see the wheather conditions ,the tide ,the moon ,the beer in the box ,only kidding ,we can fish 4 people max we have 3 now he will charge 30 us more for 4 people or 15 more for 3 people comes to like 63 per person for 3 or 50 person for 4 real cheap that inc soda ,water , and 2 beers per person if you drink ,plus the tip we will have a great time his son baits the hooks takes off the fish cleans the catch ,does it all .some times when the water is clear you can see the fish in the back of the boat ,swimming around ,or a cuda chase a fish next to your bait than bite your bait wow great action

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/20/03 02:27 AM

Hey Jeff, We're heading down on June 28th and staying till July 8th. I guess it's going to be hot as hell, but as long as the fish are biting, and we have that beautiful water to cool off in who cares!

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/21/03 01:10 PM

boo boo june 28 all the fish will on a vacation ,.so your ship out of luck ??only kidding you will do great ,will give you a may report and a june report ,where are you fishing and with who ???? I have a great guide in capt .bicho rivero .if your all set good luck to you ...
Posted By: Mel S

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/21/03 01:36 PM

Originally posted by booboo:
Hey Jeff, We're heading down on June 28th and staying till July 8th. I guess it's going to be hot as hell, but as long as the fish are biting, and we have that beautiful water to cool off in who cares!
The fishing is awesome in midsummer in San Pedro ! The winds are calm and you don't have all the big waves or swells. The bones come into the flats so you get some oppurtunities to hook into some of the most exciting sport fish. If the heat gets to you, then try night fishing off a pier with a Carolina rig using conch, or sardine. It is pretty cool to see the moon and the stars and with a soothing sea breeze on your face while reeling up fish. Best-wishes, Mel....Tomorrow we are goimg flyfishing for white bass down in the ozarks.
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/21/03 08:37 PM

Thank you, Capt Jeff, for great report. I split time between San Pedro and St Louis. I do agree with the good things said about Lagnappe Resturant. I lived in New Orleans for four years, and the Gumbo IS really good!! And Dan and Tree are a great couple. They are a great addition to beautiful downtown San Pedro!! When I'm ready for an Adkin's Slip, I'll remember about the Hamburger. Next time in San Pedro, look me up for lunch at Caliente's. Jennie's got something good cooking. Take care: Bill

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/21/03 09:32 PM

mel sounds great I fish like guys golf .love the sport ,reef my action I am not much of a offshore guy like to see land ??????? trolling ok inshore went to rocky point a few times up north near mexcio large schoolmasters up to 20 lbs big yellow tails 3/4 5/lbs red snapper .jacks etc mel I was never in to fresh water fishing but guys love it .my be we can fish together .,have a great day I can talk fishing all day

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/21/03 09:42 PM

bill you are the man .I enjoy your coments on belize since your the man ,and I am only a novice ,but I love the san pedro island and yes great burger there I go once a month now want to buy land and get a house built . may be we could meet ,and talk belize my new Intrest ,,,,.enjoy all the food tree and dan are nice people ,went to your place by the beach in the hotel calientes think the spellings wrong ..love it great fritters also ,need to try a few more places ...have a wonderful day
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/21/03 10:17 PM

Capt. Jeff
You might want to stop at Lily's restaurant on your next trip and talk to Louis about the condos that will be built on the headlands right across the cut at Boca Del Rio. I bought a unit at pre- construction prices and can hardly wait to move in. It will be a gated community and there is a wonderful canal where you can moor your boat.
I'll be back down to San Pedro May 15th with an old (really young) dive buddy. Maybe we can meet sometime before I have to leave on July 1st.
Bill is THE MAN!
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/21/03 10:23 PM

Bill is da MAN!....if you can find him! wink

how did I miss this thread?? Great report, capt jeff. Thanks for the headsup on Lagniappe, someplace to add to my list for next time! smile

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/21/03 11:55 PM

Harriette, what happened to Long Caye plans? If I may be so bold as to enquire?

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/22/03 12:27 AM

Originally posted by captjeff:
mel sounds great I fish like guys golf .love the sport ,reef my action I am not much of a offshore guy like to see land ??????? trolling ok inshore went to rocky point a few times up north near mexcio large schoolmasters up to 20 lbs big yellow tails 3/4 5/lbs red snapper .jacks etc mel I was never in to fresh water fishing but guys love it .my be we can fish together .,have a great day I can talk fishing all day
I would love to fish with you Capt. My family and myself will be in San Pedro in early June. Origally, i am from the great lakes area. They are fresh water lakes, but they remind you of the sea. Right now we live in the Ozark mountain country, so trout streams and bass lakes are the beat for me. I love salt-water fishing too. My favorite weapon is a fly-rod. We have fly-fishing in Mexico, Central America, and Europe. It is a kick and a half. Have a great evening Capt., Mel.

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/22/03 02:12 PM

mel will there june 10 to 16 if your there lets fish .I am helping out bicho my guide he and his son are great takes me reef fishing he does flats also but never tried it ,must be fun .geting a boat with the guy wonderful family and real good fisherman .lets keep in touch
Posted By: kayesscee

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/22/03 07:29 PM

So glad to see someone praising my favorite restaurant. Dan is an absolute genius with food, and Tree matches with the wine and ambience. They are a great couple, and their food hooked me from day one (not to mention Tree's extensive knowledge of my favorite beverage). I can be found almost every day holding down a barstool, drinking wine, and trying to decide between the special and my usual BBQ chicken quesadillas (except this week since they've abandoned me to take some R&R).

There isn't a bad thing on the menu. I don't think it's possible for Dan to make anything bad. I've been recommending Lagniappe without hesitation since I first wandered into the place. It's an absolute MUST for anyone coming to San Pedro. You won't be sorry, and you'll probably end up there more than once.

Kelly

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/22/03 08:02 PM

mel will there june 10 to 16 if your there lets fish .I am helping out bicho my guide he and his son are great takes me reef fishing he does flats also but never tried it ,must be fun .geting a boat with the guy wonderful family and real good fisherman .lets keep in touch
They say timing is everything, and this time is great ! We will be in San Pedro from June 9 through June 19. We will be staying at Hotel del Rio, near the cut. I'm always up to meet a fellow fisherman. This morning the white bass did not cooperate at all, but I caught some black bass on live shiners tipped with whith marabou jigs. One fisherman caught a white bass, a osprey or a fishing hawk ! Best-Wishes, Mel S........

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/22/03 08:17 PM

kayesscee it is wonderful . tree has extensive knowledge in wine .and is a sommelier second to none .she is a member of the wine educators,and loves to talk wine .and of course has a few special bottles for the gourmet .not like me I do not give my belkins a chance to breath ,suck em down , need to do a duh duh forgot about wine gift she has ,,,,.

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/22/03 08:26 PM

mel super we will fish our butt off ..lets keep in touch ,you can call me toll free at my work 1 800 231 7447 ask for jeff

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/22/03 08:34 PM

mel super we will fish our butt off ..lets keep in touch ,you can call me toll free at my work 1 800 231 7447 ask for jeff
If you want my e-mail are : [email protected] , and [email protected] . I check my e-mail very frequently. For snorkeling, sailing and fishing Geraldo Badillo is great guy! He is almost a human-dolphin, he basically lives in the water. Best-Wishes, mel s.....

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/22/03 11:21 PM

Hey Jeff, I am really looking forward to your monthly fishing reports! We are staying at Sunbreeze, and I don't know who we're fishing with. We booked a package with the hotel for five half day reef charters, so I guess we'll end up with who ever they working with. But what ever, I'm sure the fishing will be great! Thanks, Booboo
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/25/03 08:23 PM

Once someone asked me if I were a man or a mouse. Well, this question has been rolling around in my mind for some time now. Thanks folks for the hep. I'm da MAN!!
Posted By: Marie

Re: capt jeff april fishing and restaurant report - 04/26/03 01:33 AM

The folks at Lagniappe are nice. The day before I left I was wandering by, and since I like Cajun food and recognized the name, trotted in. They weren't serving, but gave me a sample, as the word indicates. Next day when they opened I came in and had a real bowl. YUM! Only had those two things there, but already they are standing right up close with my favorite Jambel Jerk Pit. The owners at both places are great!
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board