AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: BluestOne Trip Report - 09/03/03 02:01 AM
First, thanks to all the board members for your invaluable info on AC -- I was lurking behind the scenes for weeks picking up great tips for our trip. We just returned after a week in AC and I would like to give back with this somewhat long, but hopefully helpful, trip report.

Husband and I are thirtysomethings from metro DC who have traveled the Caribbean quite a bit. Our usual destination is St. John USVI but decided to venture somewhere new. A couple of reasons we selected AC are the great snorkeling and laid-back atmosphere - we were not disappointed.

We stayed at Banana Beach in a deluxe one-bedroom ocean front condo that included a bedroom with a king bed, bathroom, and living area with kitchen, couch, and dining table. The bedroom had a kick ass a/c unit that helped us sleep at night and nap in the afternoons. We had a second floor room which had a great view of the beach and ocean. The pool and courtyard area at Banana Beach were nice and relaxing.

One of the main reasons we chose Banana Beach was because of the beach and it probably has one of the best beaches that we saw. Although the beach didn't rate up there with St. John (which we knew going in), we enjoyed swimming in the ocean almost every day. There are a couple of patches of sea grass, but it's mostly sandy.

We took four snorkeling trips and were pleased by the good prices. We took two � day trips to Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley, once with Jeffrey from Searious Adventures and once with Alfonso (arranged through Monkey Business Travel at BB). The snorkeling was really impressive on both trips and we enjoyed the sharks & rays which were in abundance. Alfonso has a "buddy" at shark ray alley, so we got to hold a shark for the first (and probably last) time.

We also did the full-day catamaran trip with No Rush to Hol Chan, Caye Caulker, and Shark Ray Alley. Steve was a great guide. Only problem is that there is no shade on the catamaran so we were in the full sun for the whole trip. Lunch was at Caye Caulker where Steve directed us to his brother's restaurant, which felt like a bait & switch, but lunch was actually very good and reasonably priced. In retrospect, I would probably stick to the half day trips.

We also took a morning snorkeling trip to Mexico Rocks & Tress Cocos with Jeffrey from Searious. He is a great guide and pointed out quite a few things we may not have seen. Both places were beautiful and each very different from Hol Chan. At Mexico Rocks my husband was stung by a baby Portugese Man-o-War jelly fish. Jeffrey saw it and said it was no bigger than a quarter, but my husband got a bad sting along with tingling the rest of the day. One hightlight he never forgets to mention to his buddies back home.

On land, we found some good places for food & drink. We found BC's on our first day and went back almost every day. It's a great hangout with good bartenders and Charlene taking care of every last detail - I loved the Michalada's. The Sunday BBQ was the place to be. We also enjoyed drinks & lunch at the Palapa Bar, although we learned about the Island Ferry after a long walk from the hand ferry. We had a great dinner at Jerry's Crab Shack -- I doubt we would have gone there on our own, but overheard some locals raving about it at BC's. I think our best dinner was at Jerry's. We didn't think the food was AC's strong point, but we never complained about a meal by the ocean with our feet in the sand and a Belekin in our hand.

The Chicken Drop at the Pier on Wednesday was a hoot. I think the best part was sitting outside with the local kids as they put sweets on your number for good luck.

The things we enjoyed most about AC: snorkeling with Searious Adventures, Shark Ray Alley with Alfonso, the laid back atmosphere, BC's, the Palapa Bar, and the people and kids. We were also happy that we used Simon's services with Lamanai Provisioning and arrived to fridge stocked with Belekins, water, diet coke, snacks, etc. We never had to make a trip to the store.

Overall, we had a great time in AC and it was a nice change of pace to our usual USVI vacations.
Posted By: indygal Re: Trip Report - 09/03/03 02:38 AM
Thanks for the report. Glad you had a good time. Indygal
Posted By: Chloe Re: Trip Report - 09/03/03 02:52 AM
Thanks for your trip report. You found most of my favorite things on Ambergris.
Posted By: mlgbwn Re: Trip Report - 09/03/03 05:26 AM
Thanks forthe report.but how do I find Sam's. I want a stocked refrig also.
Posted By: mobunny Re: Trip Report - 09/03/03 02:55 PM
Great trip report. Jeffrey from Searious is a wonderful guide. We snorkeled Mexico Rocks/Tres Cocos with him also. mobunny
Posted By: mikell Re: Trip Report - 09/03/03 02:58 PM
great trip report and much of the info will be helpful to us as we plan our first trip to AC and considering same accomodations at Banana Beach.

still trying to get a really good idea about the ocean front rooms there...our priority is privacy and private balcony...something you can hang out on without seeing "neighbours"...some space for early morning coffee or evenings...good view and a peaceful resting place between trips. we don't need a kitchen...but would consider paying extra for a better balcony and privacy...

did you have a corner suite? are the middle suites just as private? were you in the old or new building? the old building is the one pictured on the web site and looks more private than the new one...

any comments/advice you can add would be appreciated.

our snorkeling itinery would be much the same as yours...thanks for the info!
Posted By: Snorkelers2 Re: Trip Report - 09/03/03 04:42 PM
We just stayed at Banana Beach and had an oceanfront on the top floor, but not one of the deluxe corner units. I wouldn't spend the extra money for a corner unit. The only thing that's really "special" is that you get windows on the side of your balcony and bedroom. These windows only look out onto Mata Rocks to the south, and a resort under construction to the north, so it's not worth the upgrade IMHO.

There's plenty of balcony privacy with all the oceanfront units, at least on the 2nd and 3rd floors. I would not want a ground floor unit.
Posted By: mikell Re: Trip Report - 09/03/03 10:53 PM
good info...i'm thinking that paying extra for a corner suite probably isn't worth it either...

snorkeler...

were you in the old building...the one pictured on the web site? are these all suites...with kitchens? where are the rooms without kitchens? we don't need a kitchen but will pay extra if the suites are more private and have better views...

jeff...we'll probably book before we get to read your trip report...we're planning to be there in february...look forward to your "review" anyway!
Posted By: SimonB Re: Trip Report - 09/04/03 12:37 AM
Hi Amy,

Glad you had such a good time and we were more than happy to be able to provide provisioning services for yourself and Don.

For anyone else interested in our services we can be reached through www.lagniappe-belize.com. We deliver to any property on Ambergris Caye that has kitchen facilities, and now have close to 400 items available on our order form (growing daily).

Cheers,

Simon
Lagniappe Provisioning
[email protected]
Posted By: Big Frank Re: Trip Report - 09/04/03 03:13 PM
A highlight was getting stung by a Man O' War? Ain't it funny how the worst adventures make the best stories! I have a suspicion that that Man O' war will continue to grow, both in the sea and in your husbands memory. 'Crikies, it were a big one.' Did J Buffettsay, ' I don't lie, I just remember bigger.'

Thanks for the post
Posted By: bywarren Re: Trip Report - 09/04/03 03:27 PM
There is a lesson to be learned here for all future visitors to AC. It is best to take Pedro along on any snorkeling trips. He usually has enough beer in him to administer the proper first aid in case of a man o war sting. laugh
Posted By: BluestOne Re: Trip Report - 09/04/03 06:47 PM
mikell -- the ocean front rooms in the old building all have private balconies. There is enough privacy that you can sit on the balcony out of view from the other rooms -- no early morning neighborly suprises. Although you can hear nearby discussions.

We had a corner room with a kitchen. Being a corner room really didn't help with the view -- other than a side view of Mata Rocks. I'm not sure if the layout of the corner room is different. I would definitely go for a 2nd or 3rd floor room.

My husband and I joked about the oceanview rooms in the new building. The rooms are stacked on top of each other and I can't imagine the view is very good -- it's like looking down a long alley with the ocean at the end of the alley.

For snorkeling, Monkey Business at Banana Beach acts as an agent for all the local guides. Their prices are $5 - 10 higher, but they are good at getting you the trip you want on the day of the week you want. Good to use in a pinch.
Posted By: BluestOne Re: Trip Report - 09/04/03 06:52 PM
Big Frank -- you hit it right on the nose -- the man-o-war is growing every day. Although it probably got a shock of it's own from the Belekin infusion it received from my husband.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board