AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: mikell Trip Report: Part Seven - The Beach BBQ - 03/07/04 12:49 AM
There's a wonderful little public beach with several picnic shelters and hammocks near Caribe Island on the south end of Ambergris Caye. This is where we land to have our feast. (When I show my pictures to friends, they think we must have gone to Belize in the "off season". They can't believe there is anywhere in the Carib where you can find such expanses of uncrowded beaches in February.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f9111578060000003610[/img]

I feel like royalty. I'm lazing in a hammock in the shade while Bicho and his son are sitting on the boat cleaning fish for our lunch. The pelicans are circling the boat getting their lunch tossed to them while the cleaning is going on. This is one of my very favourite pictures. I took it after Bicho & his son were done preparing lunch and were onshore cooking the meal over a fire. I call it - "Pelican's Charter" - still makes me grin.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f9174df96d0000003610[/img]

And here are the chefs with their huge portions of fish and vegetables cooking over the fire while we were salivating in the shade. Found out that Bicho was really a chef at one time too. The meal he prepared for us is testimony to the fact that he could cook for the queen and she might bow down to him!

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f9152178300000003610[/img]

I wish these pictures came with sound effects. You could hear me "oohing" and "ahhing" and making the most contented sounds anyone ever made while eating a meal. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that this was the best seafood dinner I've ever had in my life. I didn't know I could eat that much in the middle of the day. The fish was prepared with tomatoes, peppers, onions and seasonings. Steamed in the foil, it was almost floating in a sauce that was to die for! Sliced potatoes with the same veggies were equally wonderful. I ate so much fish that I didn't even have room for the coleslaw or tortillas. And there was lots left over to take home - both fresh fish and cooked. I got a "doggie bag" wrapped in foil for tomorrow's lunch. I was just sorry I couldn't take enough to last the whole week. I know I'm never going to get a meal this good again.

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dd22b3127cceb9f92f60786c0000003610[/img]

Is it possible I'll be able to go snorkeling without sinking after all this food? Good thing I use an inflatable vest! We packed up and headed to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley for the afternoon. And our day is not over yet!

To be continued�
Sounds like the day I have planned in my mind!!! Really can't wait to experience this BBQ laugh One question I have is what can Bicho do for non-fish eaters? My teenage daughters will not eat fish...I'm sure Bicho will accommodate this...but was wondering if you or other boarders might know how he would handle this...you're report is just great along with the beautiful pics. You might be hired by Bicho himself for an advertising campaign wink
Posted By: mikell Re: Trip Report: Part Seven - The Beach BBQ - 03/07/04 02:14 AM
oh...i forgot to mention it...he also cooked up a very nice package of chicken along with the fish. i told him before the trip that my husband doesn't eat fish...so he did the chicken just for him. i didn't even try any...but it looked just as good as the fish.

just be sure to tell him. he really makes way more food than any group of people could possibly eat...and be sure to ask him for the leftovers...i think they just all get thrown out...and that is a crying shame!!

bicho didn't eat a single bite of the food he made! it's not really such a treat for him...he probably gets fish way too often for his liking!
Posted By: Chloe Re: Trip Report: Part Seven - The Beach BBQ - 03/07/04 05:08 AM
You have just spoken of my first meal prepared the same way in that little park area, in 1993, still memorable. I had been seasick for hours, from fishing, but regrouped myself and enjoyed the beach BBQ. Fortunately the only time I have been seasick in Belize waters.
Mikell - you're reports are great! - and it's lovely to see the photos as you scroll down. Your week sounds like paradise and looks like you're still living it as you write. Thanks for sharing it - it's great to sneak a peek onto this whilst I'm working and be transported to the dream! - It reminds me there is life out there - (what a sad person I am in this office). CAN'T WAIT TIL WE GO!!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board